Thread: M Garrett Mega-Deal

Legend

User Info Menu

M Garrett Mega-Deal

Are the Browns fools or very smart?

I hope Watt isn't planning for this kind of money or it will be buh-bye to a few veterans to get it done.

Browns' Myles Garrett says it's 'time to prove it' on being the highest-paid defender in NFL history
    play
    Jul 16, 2020
    Jake Trotter

Myles Garrett said Thursday that he's ready to live up to the distinction of being the highest-paid defender in NFL history.

"Now I have to assert myself as top dog," he said. "I feel like I'm confident and ready to do that.

"Time to prove it."

On Wednesday, the Cleveland Browns' star pass-rusher signed a five-year extension with the Browns containing $100 million in total guarantees, the most ever paid to a defensive player, league sources told ESPN -- with $50 million guaranteed at signing. The team did not discuss financial terms, but sources told ESPN that the deal is worth $125 million with a $25 million average salary, which is also a record for a defensive player.

"They had faith in me, and now I've got to give [the Browns] a reason to have that faith," said Garrett, who, with the extension, will be under contract in Cleveland through the 2026 season. "I'm going to do my best to make it worth it to them."

EDITOR'S PICKS

Sources: Garrett guaranteed $100M in record deal

72 NFL players tested positive for coronavirus
    Previously, the Chicago Bears' Khalil Mack was the league's highest-paid defensive player in both average salary ($23 million) and guaranteed money ($90 million). Mack was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2016. As the new highest-paid defender, Garrett said the onus is now on him to win the award as well.

"I was in the [defensive] player of the year conversation [last year]," Garrett said. "I don't want to make it a conversation anymore. This next year, I want to ball out, win that award ... take my team to the playoffs. ... I want to lead Cleveland to the promised land."

In finishing 6-10 last year, the Browns proved to be one of the NFL's biggest disappointments while running the league's longest playoff drought to 18 years.

Cleveland's defense cratered after Garrett was suspended for the final six games of the season for hitting Pittsburgh's Mason Rudolph with the quarterback's helmet during a skirmish at the end of their Nov. 14 game.

Garrett referred to the incident as "a small bump in the road" for him and disputed the notion that he's a dirty player.

"The players I've played with and know, that's not who they see. They've never thought of me that way. I've never been that."

The NFL reinstated Garrett in February, and Garrett alleged again in an interview with ESPN's Mina Kimes shortly after that he reacted to Rudolph calling him a racial slur. Rudolph has vehemently denied the claim, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin aggressively defended Rudolph in an interview with ESPN's First Take, saying he was "hacked off" by Garrett's accusation. Tomlin said neither team corroborated after the fight.

Garrett said Thursday that he has yet to talk with Rudolph or Tomlin since but would "have no problem" doing so. The Browns are scheduled to play at Pittsburgh on Oct. 18.

"I don't have any ill intent towards either of them," he said.

On Thursday, Garrett also weighed in on social unrest in the country and said that quarterback Colin Kaepernick "deserves an apology" from the league for the way it has treated him.

Garrett also said that he covered the funeral expenses of David McAtee, a Louisville chef who was shot and killed by police outside his restaurant during a protest. Garrett said he also reached out to the family of David Dorn, a retired police captain who was shot and killed by a man looting a pawn shop in St. Louis.

"I really wanted to reach out and help where I could," Garrett said. "Those stories that reached me personally and touched me on a deeper level."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I know we hate him for what he did to our QB but he’s a terror as a defender. The best players deserve the best contracts.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Price for Watt just went up.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

and then there is this.... I think the Steelers are going to look a lot different in two years. Some great players will not be around to enjoy:

With Heyward set to hit free agency following the 2020 season, some sources believe he could get a contract that’s pushing Aaron Donald‘s six-year, $135MM deal ($50MM guaranteed). Sure, Heyward is on the wrong side of 30, but his versatility and continued production means he’ll surely find a lucrative deal. Considering the uncertainty of the 2021 cap, it’s uncertain if the Steelers will even be able to retain their defensive captain.

While Heyward’s future in Pittsburgh may be a bit uncertain, the team can at least rest easy knowing they inked the lineman to an excellent deal five years ago today.
    https://www.profootballrumors.com/pi...rs-news-rumors

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    some sources believe he could get a contract that’s pushing Aaron Donald‘s six-year, $135MM deal ($50MM guaranteed).
    As much as we all love Heyward, there is no way that you can use Donald as a basis of comparison for his contract.

Heyward is two years older. Might not sound like much, but one age begins with a 3, the other begins with a 2.
    Donald is a 2x DPOY
    Donald was voted as the #1 player in the NFL (I hate the list but it shows profile) in 2019.Heyward was #88.
    Donald had 20.5 sacks last year, Heyward 9 (has only broken 10 twice with a career high of 12.

Can go on and on but bottom line is that when discussing future contract the name Aaron Donald should not come up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    As much as we all love Heyward, there is no way that you can use Donald as a basis of comparison for his contract.

Heyward is two years older. Might not sound like much, but one age begins with a 3, the other begins with a 2.
    Donald is a 2x DPOY
    Donald was voted as the #1 player in the NFL (I hate the list but it shows profile) in 2019.Heyward was #88.
    Donald had 20.5 sacks last year, Heyward 9 (has only broken 10 twice with a career high of 12.

Can go on and on but bottom line is that when discussing future contract the name Aaron Donald should not come up.
    Yeah. There is no way this happens with Heyward. He will get paid tho.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yeah. There is no way this happens with Heyward. He will get paid tho.
    As he should. But when using other players as a comparison, this one is a stretch.

I can see 2-3 years in the $15-17M range. At least that would be the pre-corona landscape. Not sure how the numbers will shake out now.

BTW I was with a friend who is a Cowboys fan over the weekend. We were laughing about how the team dodged a bullet on Dak. I don't know what he will end up with but I'm pretty confident it will be less than the team was offering, and way below the reported $40M per that he was seeking.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    As he should. But when using other players as a comparison, this one is a stretch.

I can see 2-3 years in the $15-17M range. At least that would be the pre-corona landscape. Not sure how the numbers will shake out now.

BTW I was with a friend who is a Cowboys fan over the weekend. We were laughing about how the team dodged a bullet on Dak. I don't know what he will end up with but I'm pretty confident it will be less than the team was offering, and way below the reported $40M per that he was seeking.
    Not sure the Cowboys have avoided anything. I think they just pushed it down the road. Especially with Mahomes new deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Not sure the Cowboys have avoided anything. I think they just pushed it down the road. Especially with Mahomes new deal.
    With the uncertainty of the salary cap moving forward, I'd rather not be operating under any huge long-term deal right now. Not saying he doesn't get paid, but the structure of the deal will likely be different moving forward.