Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahomes Breaks Bank

Legend

User Info Menu

Mahomes Breaks Bank

Chiefs just signed away ever winning another SB after they agree to $500M QB contract. They better hope that cap escalates big time over the next decade.

Just wow:
    https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...185954824.html

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow. Good for him and setting a new bar for others.

Im curious why now given the whole pandemic. Who knows the future of football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting how this effects Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson. Would love to see Jackson gut the Ravens cap in a couple of years.

Superstar QBs could become a liability unless the cap soars which in the era of Covid and political activism alienating fans is very unlikely

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There seems to be no end to it. If it continues, we'll probably see billionaire QB's in my lifetime.

He's a rare talent and I love the guy but how does anyone justify that much money for one position? How can he feel good about taking up that big of a percentage of the team's cap?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

His pockets are straight and he is the future of the league. Just remember, if he is making this much it’s because he is generating 2 to 3 times as much for the franchise.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    There seems to be no end to it. If it continues, we'll probably see billionaire QB's in my lifetime.

He's a rare talent and I love the guy but how does anyone justify that much money for one position? How can he feel good about taking up that big of a percentage of the team's cap?
    He got KC to the promise land. When you go from playoff disappointment to SB contender overnight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    His pockets are straight and he is the future of the league. Just remember, if he is making this much itís because he is generating 2 to 3 times as much for the franchise.
    I agree.

Also, He's a special, special talent. Arguably the most talented QB we've ever seen. But I don't think Prescott (throwing Corona parties) or Watson are in his zip code and should not be paid anywhere near the 47 mil a year ( or so) that Mahomes will make.

Prescott isn't worth more then 31-32 mil a year. Tops. Watson a little more.

I think Mahomes is the ceiling ( for now). I don't see anybody coming up who should be paid anywhere near him.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I agree.

Also, He's a special, special talent. Arguably the most talented QB we've ever seen. But I don't think Prescott (throwing Corona parties) or Watson are in his zip code and should not be paid anywhere near the 47 mil a year ( or so) that Mahomes will make.

Prescott isn't worth more then 31-32 mil a year. Tops. Watson a little more.

I think Mahomes is the ceiling ( for now). I don't see anybody coming up who should be paid anywhere near him.
    Watson is the truth. If he had a HC/GM who had a clue I think the Texans would be further along than they are right now.

While Dak isn’t on that level he is still a big part of that offense. Who knows what he is worth but he better sign soon before he gets injured.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wow. Good for him and setting a new bar for others.

Im curious why now given the whole pandemic. Who knows the future of football.
    Very unstable future. Who knows what will happen the next few months and years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Some interesting discussion on the terrible podcast about this contract.

His cap hit will still be low for the first few years. Very low signing bonus now and roster bonuses in future years that could be renegotiated to SB to spread out the hit.

Good for him if he doesn't get a big injury in the short to medium term.

Will make a ton of money without crippling the cap in the next few years. I think they'll stay very good for at least 5 years.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158