Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahomes Breaks Bank

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    One of the truest posts I've read. Our university system is a fraud. Unless you are getting a science, engineering or medical degree four years are unnecessary and too many graduate with worthless degrees and tens of thousands in debt they will spend decades trying to get out from under.
    I don’t think it’s a fraud.. but I think there are a lot of kids going to college who have no business going there because they won’t finish and college isn’t the best option for them.

Schools definitely are taking advantage of all the grants and fed backed loans. No way college should be this expensive.

I loved college but I can honestly say no one has ever asked for my transcripts or proof when applying for a job.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don’t think it’s a fraud.. but I think there are a lot of kids going to college who have no business going there because they won’t finish and college isn’t the best option for them.

Schools definitely are taking advantage of all the grants and fed backed loans. No way college should be this expensive.

I loved college but I can honestly say no one has ever asked for my transcripts or proof when applying for a job.
    I don't even think they checked if I really had a degree when I first came out of college. But there is no more fun time than college years...wow. 4 year vacation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Maybe. Or maybe the Chinese believe they are better able than we are to survive the short-term fallout of the coronavirus hit on the economy, and that this will help them toward global dominance in the long-term. I'm not saying they deliberately sent us this epidemic ... but can we really be confident they didn't?
    One step worse: What would you say if US weapon labs created it and gave it to China? And Fauci made sure they finished the job, providing the $ for it?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Maybe one day soon we will wake up and realize the post-secondary education system in this country badly needs to be redone. So much waste and ineffeciency, so much gouging the consumer. 4-year degrees are not really needed by so many who are "herded" in that direction. In many cases, it would be better to replace them with 2-year degrees, vocational training courses, apprenticeships, etc.; more accountability for institutions about how the money is spent. Enough of professors at state universities drawing large salaries while only teaching a course or two and having their TAs doing most of their work. Enough of leveling old buildings and putting up new ones when it's not necessary. A massive rip-off is being perpetrated, and we hear very little about any serious proposals to fix the situation.
    Many employers seem to continue to push the bar for more education. In the near future many people might not be able to find work without a masters or PHD. Everything is so specialized now. Young adults seem to have less room for error today than ever. Young adults are going to make mistakes. Unfortunately those mistakes might cripple their ability to survive.

I believe this country invested in education in an effort to combat the USSR, communism, and to better position itself compete and become a leader in the world. As time went by that seem to go by the way side. Once the student loan system became privatized the system became concerned with profits over education. Once again that word greed shows up. There's just to much corruption going around.

Screw with a countries ability to educate it's citizens then you screw with the life blood of a country.

We are good right now. I don't know what's in store for the long term future of America.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m pushing my kids into coding and other online courses when they get older.

College is still on the table and we are saving now for it so they won’t have the debt we have with school loans.

I think going to a community college for the first 2 years is the best way to get a 4 year degree without a huge price tag.
    I'd recommend a trade personally. In the next 10+ years, most coding will be automated.

The hardest thing to automate is creativity and the dexterity of the human hand.

Most creativity will be squeezed out of mattering as companies use AI to give people exactly what they want and eliminate all concept of being pleasantly surprised by anything. Amazon benefits tremendously if robots can pick items out of boxes with human dexterity and I'm not sure trades have a long runway, but I think it's a harder problem than dumbing people down so they no longer appreciate creativity.

Long run though, if they can learn to create something and embrace entreprenrueship, then they have the best chance at life. Unless they have a rich relative that wants to give them money.

I'd consider seed funding my kids with $25k+/yr for each year they would have been in college and have them take a chance at starting a business. Within the 5-10 years it takes most to graduate, most kids would figure out some way to make some money by then. Or they'd be broke with lots of real experience which is still better than a college education.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Many employers seem to continue to push the bar for more education. In the near future many people might not be able to find work without a masters or PHD. Everything is so specialized now. Young adults seem to have less room for error today than ever. Young adults are going to make mistakes. Unfortunately those mistakes might cripple their ability to survive.

I believe this country invested in education in an effort to combat the USSR, communism, and to better position itself compete and become a leader in the world. As time went by that seem to go by the way side. Once the student loan system became privatized the system became concerned with profits over education. Once again that word greed shows up. There's just to much corruption going around.

Screw with a countries ability to educate it's citizens then you screw with the life blood of a country.

We are good right now. I don't know what's in store for the long term future of America.
    The problem is 70% of people don't even go to college.

That pretty much aligns with the % of society that can't afford an unexpected $400 expense.

The majority are hopeless in today's economy. I think this is the source of most of our problems.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    One step worse: What would you say if US weapon labs created it and gave it to China? And Fauci made sure they finished the job, providing the $ for it?
    I love me a good conspiracy as much as the next guy, but I also accept that conspiracies are like watching the WWE. You suspend disbelief to find entertainment, but then you go on and live life.

But my fear is that we're living in the 1960s or 70s when the majority still think wrestling is a real sport vs being entertainment.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Athletes want to get as much money as they can.....
    Fixed that for you

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd recommend a trade personally. In the next 10+ years, most coding will be automated.

The hardest thing to automate is creativity and the dexterity of the human hand.

Most creativity will be squeezed out of mattering as companies use AI to give people exactly what they want and eliminate all concept of being pleasantly surprised by anything. Amazon benefits tremendously if robots can pick items out of boxes with human dexterity and I'm not sure trades have a long runway, but I think it's a harder problem than dumbing people down so they no longer appreciate creativity.

Long run though, if they can learn to create something and embrace entreprenrueship, then they have the best chance at life. Unless they have a rich relative that wants to give them money.

I'd consider seed funding my kids with $25k+/yr for each year they would have been in college and have them take a chance at starting a business. Within the 5-10 years it takes most to graduate, most kids would figure out some way to make some money by then. Or they'd be broke with lots of real experience which is still better than a college education.
    And sadly the covid crisis decimated this group. The number of small, entrepreneurial businesses that have succumbed is tragic, and it may take decades to recover.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    One of the truest posts I've read. Our university system is a fraud. Unless you are getting a science, engineering or medical degree four years are unnecessary and too many graduate with worthless degrees and tens of thousands in debt they will spend decades trying to get out from under.
    I teach at a University (Engineering). There are at least some of us who feel this way. I think especially in programs that do specifically teach marketable skills.

I'm certainly not unbiased, but I wouldn't want my kids racking up a bunch of debt for a program that doesn't have high placement rates with consistently high salaries that justify the tuition.

I'd also love it if schools moved back to realizing that the education is the "product" and not the experience.

There is an arms race for expensive amenities that drive up tuition. It can also get students accustomed to a country club lifestyle that we can't really afford after graduation. This is tough though because it just takes one place to do it because HS students visiting campus love the idea of fancy country club facilities and they make enrollment decisions because of it.

I also think there is a ton of bloat in upper administration. We recently moved I to an R2 classification and it seems like that has led to a lot of new VP and vice provost positions across campus. In not sure how those positions improve the education and I don't think they bring in any revenue.

I think COVID will lead to big changes in higher Ed.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 07-08-2020 at 06:02 PM.