Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: "Black national anthem" to be played week 1

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Right.

Hopefully the courts don't fail to uphold those limits.
    And yet no one was charged when they did.
    You can't protest on an interstate highway and yet no one was charged when they did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Before I got to the end, I swear I was thinking wonder how he feels about Pats or Ravens fans.

Seriously though, I always liked the Chris Rock movie where he was running for pres and would end every speech with God Bless America......and nobody else.

Listening to people being proud to be American always struck me as odd. That said, I do feel like we won the lottery being born here compared to other places. But I like everyone all around the world. I do think getting a chance to meet people from other countries makes a big difference. If I had never traveled outside the US and Canada and Mexico, Iím not sure Id appreciate everyone. Especially being in places where I was the minority and dealt with people mistreating me for being a US Citizen. While I didnít like it, it brought some perspective and helps me understand how much I canít understand something until experiencing it. Not sure why, it I think world travel makes us more empathetic to humanity.

What strikes me as odd is people struggling to be proud of being an American. We are far from a perfect country, but look at what we have accomplished as a nation. Look at how people from around the world struggle to come to this country and the people born here can't see what is right in front of them.

I travel worldwide about a third of the year and I lived overseas for three years. I see may nations and people and I can tell you there isn't another place I've been to that I would want to live over the USA.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    People don't understand what a 'protest" is. A protest is SUPPOSE to be at the wrong time. It's to cause you to stop and take notice. There is never a RIGHT TIME (per say) for a protest. It's suppose to inconvenience you to the point of saying , " what is this all about?" That is the goal. So kneeling at the anthem was "the right time".
    I think most people understand what a protest is. What I meant about "the wrong time" wasn't the point in time/history but during the opening of a football game, when players are supposed to be "at work". It didn't "inconvenience" me at all. But at the time, I think a lot of people didn't really "get it" what message he was really trying to send. It irritated a lot of people - which I understand was part of the goal - but it irritated people without them really understanding why they should be irritated. They were initially irritated for the wrong reasons. It took a lot of time for people to finally understand what he was trying to call attention to. And even now, many people don't. Hell, as recent as a month ago, Drew Brees felt like it was still disrespecting the military. That's my only point about how, at the time, it felt to me like the "wrong place/wrong time".

In hindsight, I have a completely different perspective.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think most people understand what a protest is. What I meant about "the wrong time" wasn't the point in time/history but during the opening of a football game, when players are supposed to be "at work". It didn't "inconvenience" me at all. But at the time, I think a lot of people didn't really "get it" what message he was really trying to send. It irritated a lot of people - which I understand was part of the goal - but it irritated people without them really understanding why they should be irritated. They were initially irritated for the wrong reasons. It took a lot of time for people to finally understand what he was trying to call attention to. And even now, many people don't. Hell, as recent as a month ago, Drew Brees felt like it was still disrespecting the military. That's my only point about how, at the time, it felt to me like the "wrong place/wrong time".

In hindsight, I have a completely different perspective.
    Brees was being willfully ignorant. There is no way he lives in New Orleans and sits in a locker room with all his teammates and doesn’t know why Kap was kneeling.

If all you are thinking about is yourself you can get into some really hot water when answering questions like that.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I just did a protest in my house as not to upset anybody.

The powers that be are surely going to hear me now!!!

I await the throngs of people inspired to join the movement!!!!
    imagine the march on Selma happening in a warehouse in some country road in Bama.

Jokes aside, this is the same thing that was said when people marched for civil rights. ďWhy do they have to be in the street?Ē Iím not calling Kap an MLK but we have to remember how people like MLK and Muhammad Ali were treated in the moment when they am were protesting. They werenít celebrated. They were ridiculed.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What strikes me as odd is people struggling to be proud of being an American. We are far from a perfect country, but look at what we have accomplished as a nation. Look at how people from around the world struggle to come to this country and the people born here can't see what is right in front of them.

I travel worldwide about a third of the year and I lived overseas for three years. I see may nations and people and I can tell you there isn't another place I've been to that I would want to live over the USA.
    Depends on how you look at the word proud.

It's been said pride goes before destruction.

I think some folk's pride is ok, but most isn't and trends toward vanity and self centered thinking.

By definition, pride is satisfaction we take in achieving something or possessing or being associated with something. I tend to think it's better to be thankful for what we have versus being proud. Being proud can separate us from others and I don't see that as a good end goal for society.

And good for you that you've lived a great life in the US. But if you look at the average person in the US vs the average person in many countries like Finland, Norway, Canada, Sweden, Denmark, etc., I bet the average person has better opportunities in other countries.

People who come here are usually people with money, intelligence, etc. which are all the advantages of the rich in the US. I do agree that there's much greater opportunity for the wealthy in the US.

But it's different for everyone. Some people want to get here to avoid oppression or to escape some tragedy. And there's lots to be thankful for. But in general, I think if more people changed their pride to thankfulness, we'd be driven to strive toward having a country where everyone can be thankful and share in our happiness. The great thing, when you spread happiness, it lifts your own spirits.

All this said, I'm not discrediting your pride in any way. I'm sure your pride has positive intentions. But I think our collective pride misses the mark and human nature tends toward the concept of pride preceding destruction just like Satan himself. Even if you don't believe in religion, I think the analogy of Satan's pride aligns with analogy here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not struggling at all with being an American. I've traveled enough globally to realize I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.... (except maybe Sweden...)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Brees was being willfully ignorant. There is no way he lives in New Orleans and sits in a locker room with all his teammates and doesn’t know why Kap was kneeling.

If all you are thinking about is yourself you can get into some really hot water when answering questions like that.
    I'm not sure about him being willfully ignorant. I think he knew why Kap was kneeling (I sure hope he did anyway) but I think he was, at the same time, concerned about the optics of that specific protest method. I don't know. Maybe I'm giving him too much benefit of the doubt. He seems like an otherwise, very intelligent and caring person.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I'm not sure about him being willfully ignorant. I think he knew why Kap was kneeling (I sure hope he did anyway) but I think he was, at the same time, concerned about the optics of that specific protest method. I don't know. Maybe I'm giving him too much benefit of the doubt. He seems like an otherwise, very intelligent and caring person.
    Uh-oh ... you're giving Brees the benefit of the doubt? I don't think you're allowed to do that. Better watch out for the PC police.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agree on that. Traveling worldwide has helped me to appreciate many different cultures and meet many great people. At the same time, it has made me very grateful to be an American. I recognize there are faults with my country, but I still love it. And I don't think that conflicts with my Christian faith.