Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: "Black national anthem" to be played week 1

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Absolutely not what I’m saying. But the efforts from that era resulted in landmark legislation that eliminated Jim Crow laws and remade our country. It may not be the only way to protest, but it was successful in achieving its goals. Time will tell if the current style of protest with its resulting destruction will achieve results. Actually let me rephrase. Achieve results that accomplish the desired goals. I’m certain there will be results of some kind, we will have to see what they ultimately are.

As for Africa, you don’t have to take it from me. There are great vacation deals to Angola, Uganda, and deep in the Congo. If you make it back let us all know what we’re missing!.....
    There are also great places in North America like rural Appalachia, Baltimore, rough parts of Mexico and cold ass places in Canada.

I’m sure there are undesirable places in a continent the size of Africa. However, there are also beautiful places like the Ivory Coast, South Africa, Ghana, etc.

Anyways.. this protest is about police brutality and cops and their unions are fighting to continue to kill without prosecution or punishment. All people want is police officers charged when they commit crimes. Cops shouldn’t be able to keep their job when they serve a no knock warrant to the wrong house and shoot a sleeping woman 8 times and fire 41 bullets. All of them should be prosecuted.

The actual guy they were looking for was already in jail. That’s incompetence and need to be handled correctly. An apology and a check won’t cut it.

If a cop commits a crime they need to be charged.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I take issue with blind devotion to a country ANY country. Has nothing to do with America specifically.

True, Jesus taught "love" is the MOST IMPORTANT quality of a Christian but never once are Christians taught to love their country.

To the contrary it say:

Acts 10:34,35
    "34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right."

Problem with love of country is that it can be manipulated by its leadership into unspeakable acts of pure evil.

I would suggest that "love of country" over "love of brother" taught by Jesus, is why the professed "Christianity" practiced by 90 percent of all Germans failed to keep them from killing millions of their brethren in the world wars.

The concept of being "proud" to be an American I find even less compatible with the teachings of the Bible. I simply don't think there is any reason to be "proud" of a country. Just like love of country you are not even talking about a person.

But "proud"? It is almost always put in a bad light in scripture.

Do a simple search of the word, "proud" in the Bible. You will find it occurs nearly 50 times in the King James version.

When you do...tell me how many times is it a "good" thing.
    There is such a thing as sinful pride. It's never good, and I agree that the Bible soundly condemns it. But there is a right kind of affection that I would speak of as being "proud." For instance, I'm "proud" of my children (maybe "proud" is not the best word, but it's the one that most people I know would use). I'm not talking about some kind of selfish arrogance that doesn't care for the needs of others, but rather, an affectionate enjoyment of their lives and accomplishments. I haven't seen where the Scriptures condemn that. Nor do I believe they condemn a similar type of emotion toward one's nation. It's true that Christians are not "taught" to love their country in the Bible -- but neither are they taught NOT to. Of course, we need to love other people. I'm not denying that. We are to seek God and His kingdom first. I'm not denying that. And I'm not talking about "blind devotion." Because I love my country, I want to see its problems resolved and its shortcomings rectified. Because I love people, I want to see my nation uphold liberty and justice for all its people, and be a force for blessing and good in the world. Have we arrived at perfection in that? No way. We never will. Nor will any country in the world. But we've come a good ways in that direction, and I hold out hope that we will progress even farther.

Ask yourself, "Where would people in this world be WITHOUT the United States of America, if we'd never existed?" Undoubtedly, you could tick off a list of some of the BAD things we've done, some of the negative affects we've had, but I happen to believe, as I look at history, that if this country hadn't been here, there would likely be a whole lot less freedom and a whole lot more oppression for a lot more people. Even today, what would happen for many of the people of this world if the U.S.A. were to suddenly collapse? Do you really think more people would be better off? I think some perpetrators of tyranny and injustice would be better off.

Millions of people of color from all over the world apply to move here every year. If there was really such terrible systemic racism & inequality here, would that happen? I'm not saying there's no racism and inequality. But a lot of folks are acting and talking like this is one of the worst countries in the world in that regard.

Again, not denying there are problems -- there are some big ones -- but like the OP, there's no place I would rather live.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    there are also beautiful places like the Ivory Coast, South Africa, Ghana, etc.
    I always wanted to visit but never have. I've got friends from South Africa and Mauritius and have seen some pics that have looked amazing. In some cities, I've met cab drivers from various African countries and have always noticed they are especially friendly most of the time and even some stories I've heard from people who came to the US to escape persecution of some kind.

But then there's what I've seen of Africa on tv and movies and I'm convinced it's a different place. A place where it's all jungles and people live in mud huts next to wildlife. Everyone's got disease from all the bush meat. Bono is their Jesus. Most 14 year olds have guns and tanks and grenade launchers. Schools are bigger mud huts. Everyone is corrupt. There's a warlord that lives in a palace and everyone else is in the jungle fighting to survive. All women are topless (thanks Nat Geo), and people make weird clicking sounds when they talk.

If it wasn't for Trevor Noah, I think most people would believe all the things I mentioned.

On the flip side, I have friends from other countries who tell me the news they hear about the US is all bad and they think we're at war and rioting and burning the whole place down. I've heard rational people tell me they'd be afraid to travel to the US because of what they see of us on the news.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well I did say MOST - not all.......

And one of my fondest memories is an outdoor restaurant in Nairobi at the edge of the savanna.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    There is such a thing as sinful pride. It's never good, and I agree that the Bible soundly condemns it. But there is a right kind of affection that I would speak of as being "proud." For instance, I'm "proud" of my children (maybe "proud" is not the best word, but it's the one that most people I know would use). I'm not talking about some kind of selfish arrogance that doesn't care for the needs of others, but rather, an affectionate enjoyment of their lives and accomplishments. I haven't seen where the Scriptures condemn that. Nor do I believe they condemn a similar type of emotion toward one's nation. It's true that Christians are not "taught" to love their country in the Bible -- but neither are they taught NOT to. Of course, we need to love other people. I'm not denying that. We are to seek God and His kingdom first. I'm not denying that. And I'm not talking about "blind devotion." Because I love my country, I want to see its problems resolved and its shortcomings rectified. Because I love people, I want to see my nation uphold liberty and justice for all its people, and be a force for blessing and good in the world. Have we arrived at perfection in that? No way. We never will. Nor will any country in the world. But we've come a good ways in that direction, and I hold out hope that we will progress even farther.

Ask yourself, "Where would people in this world be WITHOUT the United States of America, if we'd never existed?" Undoubtedly, you could tick off a list of some of the BAD things we've done, some of the negative affects we've had, but I happen to believe, as I look at history, that if this country hadn't been here, there would likely be a whole lot less freedom and a whole lot more oppression for a lot more people. Even today, what would happen for many of the people of this world if the U.S.A. were to suddenly collapse? Do you really think more people would be better off? I think some perpetrators of tyranny and injustice would be better off.

Millions of people of color from all over the world apply to move here every year. If there was really such terrible systemic racism & inequality here, would that happen? I'm not saying there's no racism and inequality. But a lot of folks are acting and talking like this is one of the worst countries in the world in that regard.

Again, not denying there are problems -- there are some big ones -- but like the OP, there's no place I would rather live.
    Its never a good idea to use immigrants moving here as proof it’s a desirable place. I know people of color who moved here because their parents told them the streets were lined with gold when they were kids. It’s talked about like it’s heaven and then they get here and realize it’s not. Some stay.. but some also return to their homes.

I have never left the US and what’s crazy is our first trip outside the US was supposed to happen this May and then we get a pandemic.

I really want to see what the rest of the world has to offer. While I still feel blessed to grow up here the older I get the more I want to see if there are other places that we would want to call home.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Its never a good idea to use immigrants moving here as proof it’s a desirable place. I know people of color who moved here because their parents told them the streets were lined with gold when they were kids. It’s talked about like it’s heaven and then they get here and realize it’s not. Some stay.. but some also return to their homes.

I have never left the US and what’s crazy is our first trip outside the US was supposed to happen this May and then we get a pandemic.

I really want to see what the rest of the world has to offer. While I still feel blessed to grow up here the older I get the more I want to see if there are other places that we would want to call home.
    If you find a better place, and can afford to move there, by all means, do so.

Just be sure you have a pretty good handle on what you'll be gaining, and what you'll be giving up.

Legend

User Info Menu

If a cop commits a crime they need to be charged.
    Seems like a straightforward thing for the obvious cases. But what about the cases where it's less clear? Who gets to decide on 'excessive use of force'? A jury that has no experience whatsoever in daily law enforcement? Many decisions are made in a split second when on the scene. Easy to sit back and second guess in the comfort of a courtroom.

FBI Releases 2019 Statistics on Law Enforcement Officers Killed in the Line of Duty

The 48 felonious deaths occurred in 19 states and in Puerto Rico. The number of officers killed as a result of criminal acts in 2019 was 8 less than the 56 officers who were feloniously killed in 2018. The 5- and 10-year comparisons show an increase of 7 felonious deaths compared with the 2015 figure (41 officers) and a decrease of 7 deaths compared with 2010 data (55 officers).

Officer Profiles. The average age of the officers who were feloniously killed was 40 years old. The victim officers had served in law enforcement for an average of 13 years at the times of the fatal incidents. Of the 48 officers:

45 were male
    3 were female
    40 were white
    7 were black/African American
    1 was Asian.
    Circumstances. Of the 48 officers feloniously killed:

15 died as a result of investigative or law enforcement activities
    6 were conducting traffic violation stops
    4 were performing investigative activities
    2 were drug-related matters
    2 were interacting with wanted persons
    1 was investigating suspicious person or circumstance
    9 were involved in tactical situations
    3 were barricaded/hostage situations
    3 were serving, or attempting to serve, search warrants
    2 were serving, or attempting to serve, arrest warrants
    1 was reported in the category titled “other tactical situation”
    5 were involved in unprovoked attacks
    4 were responding to crimes in progress
    2 were robberies
    1 was larceny-theft
    1 was reported in the category titled “other crime against property”
    3 were involved in arrest situations and were attempting to restrain/control/handcuff the offender(s) during the arrest situations
    3 were assisting other law enforcement officers
    2 with vehicular pursuits
    1 with foot pursuit
    3 were responding to disorders or disturbances
    2 were responding to disturbances (disorderly subjects, fights, etc.)
    1 was responding to a domestic violence call
    3 were involved in vehicular pursuits
    2 were ambushed (entrapment/premeditation)
    1 was serving, or attempting to serve, a court order (eviction notice, subpoena, etc.).
    Weapons. Offenders used firearms to kill 44 of the 48 victim officers. Four officers were killed with vehicles used as weapons. Of the 44 officers killed by firearms:

34 were slain with handguns
    7 with rifles
    1 with a shotgun
    2 with firearms in which the types of firearms were unknown or not reported
    Regions. Felonious deaths were reported in four U.S. regions and Puerto Rico.

27 officers were feloniously killed in the South
    9 in the Midwest
    9 in the West
    1 in the Northeast
    2 in Puerto Rico
    Suspects. Law enforcement agencies identified 49 alleged assailants in connection with the felonious line-of-duty deaths.

36 of the assailants had prior criminal arrests.
    12 of the offenders were under judicial supervision at the times of the felonious incidents
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...e-line-of-duty

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry that your trip got cancelled Felt.

I think it sucks to loose something you've probably been looking forward to for a while.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Sorry that your trip got cancelled Felt.

I think it sucks to loose something you've probably been looking forward to for a while.
    Thanks. When all this ends we are going Japan or taking a few weeks off to travel to a few spots around the world... lol.

its the craziest thing in the world. All these years we promised ourselves we would one day take a week off and actually leave the country and just lay on a beach.

We had an all inclusive week reserved at Riviera Maya in Mexico and then this hit. At least we got a travel voucher for our deposit.

Now we can’t even leave the country and no one wants us anyways because our covid cases are through the roof.

still waiting on our passports too.

Banned

User Info Menu

Thanks. When all this ends we are going Japan or taking a few weeks off to travel to a few spots around the world... lol.

its the craziest thing in the world. All these years we promised ourselves we would one day take a week off and actually leave the country and just lay on a beach.

We had an all inclusive week reserved at Riviera Maya in Mexico and then this hit. At least we got a travel voucher for our deposit.

Now we can’t even leave the country and no one wants us anyways because our covid cases are through the roof.

still waiting on our passports too.
    I get where your coming from. I lost my trip to Cabo and my trip Monte Carlo as well.