Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conner and Bell Seen Together

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    umm, convincing the Steelers to let Bell walk?

That’s not how things went down....whatever.

I know you alway disagree with the dude but “whatever” has not even commented on the thread.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I know you alway disagree with the dude but “whatever” has not even commented on the thread.
    notice how well this message board has been conversing lately without whatever, our resident troll?

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell now giving out contract advice, ....apparently still trying to reset the market.

Note to Jones; beware of any contract advice Bell might be spewing:

https://twitter.com/StoneColdJones/s...eal-reached%2F

I hope these other teams overspend on their RBs, all the better for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Bell now giving out contract advice, ....apparently still trying to reset the market.

Note to Jones; beware of any contract advice Bell might be spewing:

https://twitter.com/StoneColdJones/s...eal-reached%2F

I hope these other teams overspend on their RBs, all the better for the Steelers.
    If Pgh offers Conner a new deal, even if not a top 10 deal, they will be the ones being foolish. So he's been lifting a lot of weights? So what. Weights don't hit you. The guy is a perpetual injury machine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    If Pgh offers Conner a new deal, even if not a top 10 deal, they will be the ones being foolish. So he's been lifting a lot of weights? So what. Weights don't hit you. The guy is a perpetual injury machine.
    I hope they do offer him a fair deal and he gets over the injury hump. Conner is one of my favorites on the team. He brings a whole new attitude to the RB position and runs violently. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope it's just been some bad luck which injuries can be sometimes.

He'll probably need to adjust his running style which is what leads to the injuries. But if he does, man he's not going to be as much fun to watch.

He kinda reminds me of Hines Ward a little. An offensive player that's going to try to go out of his way to hit you before you have a chance to hit him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I hope they do offer him a fair deal and he gets over the injury hump. Conner is one of my favorites on the team. He brings a whole new attitude to the RB position and runs violently. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope it's just been some bad luck which injuries can be sometimes.

He'll probably need to adjust his running style which is what leads to the injuries. But if he does, man he's not going to be as much fun to watch.

He kinda reminds me of Hines Ward a little. An offensive player that's going to try to go out of his way to hit you before you have a chance to hit him.
    We've seen this movie before. Early on Shazier was labeled injury prone. Then he seemed to turn the corner, only to sustain a career-ending injury.
    Conner's style of play would give me pause before any extension is offered.

Legend

User Info Menu

We've seen this movie before. Early on Shazier was labeled injury prone. Then he seemed to turn the corner, only to sustain a career-ending injury.
    Shazier’s career ending injury was a freak accident. Rarely happens but it’s a violent sport and it can happen to any player at any time.

Not sure his example is a good one when it comes to Conner.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Shazier’s career ending injury was a freak accident. Rarely happens but it’s a violent sport and it can happen to any player at any time.

Not sure his example is a good one when it comes to Conner.
    feltdizz, you are probably right. A career ending injury is a relatively rare event in the NFL (thank goodness).
    But there are no surprises here:
    Injury Rates By Position

The table below sums up injury rates for each position and totals for all positions. Further explanations and details follow the chart.

2015 NFL Injury Data

.... the average NFL player has about a 4.1% chance each game of suffering an injury that will prevent them from playing in the following game. The average injury that does cause a player to miss at least 1 game has a mean average length of 3.1 games missed. All told, a typical NFL player can expect to be healthy and available for about 14.2 games out of 16 per season.

Overall, injury rates are fairly consistent across different positions, with a few exceptions. As expected, running backs are at the highest risk of injury, and their injuries average significantly longer in length than any other position. The data shows fullback surprisingly at a low risk, but it is the only position that really has too small a sample size (just 6 injuries) to draw conclusions based on their low usage. Quarterbacks and offensive lineman are least likely to be injured, but the risk for starters at those positions is still similar to other positions as explained below.

Adjusting for Playing Time

At this point, you may be wondering "what good are per game averages if some players are out on the field all game while others sit on the bench?". And you would be right. Iniitally, we intended to analyze the injury rate on a per snap basis. But perhaps the most surprising finding in the whole analysis is that overall, the percentage of snaps a player plays in a game doesn't have much predictive value toward whether they will be injured.

It seems counterintuitive, but anyone who has spent much time looking through weekly injury reports can confirm that they have probably been surprised to find that about half the players on them each week don't even regularly see a starter's share of snaps. So what gives? Our most reasonable conclusion is that the explanation lies in the combination of the following factors:

Legend

User Info Menu

Im with you on the pause, but I also think of him as the same high quality character guy and I’m ok if we take a chance and it doesn’t work out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

If he adjusts him running style not only will he be less fun....he will be less effective.
    He is neither fast nor elusive. If the dude ain't breaking tackles he ain't got nothin.

If he's breaking tackles, he's breaking down just like we've seen.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher