Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Steelers tested positive for CV

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My wifeís hospital has seen patients needing to be hospitalized due to COVID quadruple over the last month. Itís not that hospitals can be overwhelmed, they are overwhelmed right now.

Meanwhile an a$$ clown in FL in the state legislature is suing over Mask mandates, claiming them to be unconstitutional. We have children running the country. SMH

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    And keep this in mind, most hospitals make their money from outpatient surgery. Physicians are also on leave, hospitals are having financial troubles during this pandemic. We have less docs, cut backs at hospitals all while trying to deal with covid? Now you add the flu on top of it? Break the medical system and see what happens. Mass death not just from covid, but from various other illnesses due to a lack of resources.
    For-profit hospitals focus on moneymaking procedures. There is no money in flu or virus treatment (except for the govt. fund). Is a hospital really going to invest capital in a once a decade problem? Ain't gonna happen. Last report I saw said they will lose $200B this year alone.
    Best hope is the govt buys a huge warehouse somewhere and stuffs it full of equipment for the future. But then, years from now when it is needed, will it even work?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wearing a mask and keeping social distance to help our medical system and others shouldn't be a political conspiracy theory issue. It's just being human.
    It wouldn't be if we actually had a human in the oval office with an ounce of leadership ability.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed, all schools need the ability to provide classes via zoom. And all parents should have the option to go that route. With that said, this misses those without resources and affects those of lower socioeconomic class. If you don't have high speed internet in your dwelling, then your options are limited. That needs addressed.
    Agree that's an issue, but it seems like an easy fix to provide universal high speed internet access to kids and give them an iPad or whatever they need to connect. With all the data that Google, Apple, FB, etc are collecting and selling, seems like it would be a worthwhile investment for any of them to fund this. Or we could tax them. They make money off everyone of us and it only seems reasonable they should fund some things that benefit us collectively.

In the middle of this whole thing, I think teachers need a voice too. They seem to be the ones getting fudged being forced to go back to work because some parents need a baby sitter so they can work. Unless someone can guarantee it's safe for teachers to go back to work, why put their lives at risk when there is technology that can absolutely enable them to teach remotely. I'm sure back in the day, 99% of people though there's no way we could survive as a society without an abacus. Progress happens. We do things differently. We need to get people to stop looking backwards and trying to do things we used to do in the past.

The heart of the problem once again imho is income inequality. If the folks at the bottom had a higher floor, it would benefit us all. If everyone had safety net, I'd bet 99% of parents would want distance education for their kids. When I see people against remote education, against wearing masks, against whatever seems reasonable, I realize it's usually a result of their survival/desperation is what's driving their decision making. And it's scientifically proven that being broke lowers your IQ. So many times when people seem like idiots, they're not. They're making decisions that are practical for their own survival. If you're broke, you don't have time to consider others. You've just got to get you and your family to tomorrow.

It's a shame but it seems like we all want things to get back to normal and we're going to force people that make the least amount of money to be on the front lines of dealing with all societal ills.

I get the whole BLM thing and wouldn't want to take anything away from them, but I think there's a bigger societal issue at play. I think the B should stand for Broke as in Broke Lives Matter. If we lifted up everyone that is poor, lost, broken, etc. I think the BLM movement would get taken care of automatically. Again, not to take anything away from BLM, but I see it as 1 of 100s of problems in society that need to be fixed and the core common bond they all have is economic.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Agree that's an issue, but it seems like an easy fix to provide universal high speed internet access to kids and give them an iPad or whatever they need to connect. With all the data that Google, Apple, FB, etc are collecting and selling, seems like it would be a worthwhile investment for any of them to fund this. Or we could tax them. They make money off everyone of us and it only seems reasonable they should fund some things that benefit us collectively.

In the middle of this whole thing, I think teachers need a voice too. They seem to be the ones getting fudged being forced to go back to work because some parents need a baby sitter so they can work. Unless someone can guarantee it's safe for teachers to go back to work, why put their lives at risk when there is technology that can absolutely enable them to teach remotely. I'm sure back in the day, 99% of people though there's no way we could survive as a society without an abacus. Progress happens. We do things differently. We need to get people to stop looking backwards and trying to do things we used to do in the past.

The heart of the problem once again imho is income inequality. If the folks at the bottom had a higher floor, it would benefit us all. If everyone had safety net, I'd bet 99% of parents would want distance education for their kids. When I see people against remote education, against wearing masks, against whatever seems reasonable, I realize it's usually a result of their survival/desperation is what's driving their decision making. And it's scientifically proven that being broke lowers your IQ. So many times when people seem like idiots, they're not. They're making decisions that are practical for their own survival. If you're broke, you don't have time to consider others. You've just got to get you and your family to tomorrow.

It's a shame but it seems like we all want things to get back to normal and we're going to force people that make the least amount of money to be on the front lines of dealing with all societal ills.

I get the whole BLM thing and wouldn't want to take anything away from them, but I think there's a bigger societal issue at play. I think the B should stand for Broke as in Broke Lives Matter. If we lifted up everyone that is poor, lost, broken, etc. I think the BLM movement would get taken care of automatically. Again, not to take anything away from BLM, but I see it as 1 of 100s of problems in society that need to be fixed and the core common bond they all have is economic.
    I come from a long lineage of educators, nearly everyone on my mom's side of the family were teachers, and my mother was a principal. My heart goes out to these teachers who's lives are in danger because politicians want to be re-elected more than they want public safety. To be forced with no paycheck or your health isn't a fair thing to ask. I wonder if online learning is good enough to get your Masters degree, why isn't it good enough for our children. What's the difference in a lecture being taught via Zoom, and in person? No much. It makes zero sense to re-open schools to face to face instruction.

Legend

User Info Menu

I come from a long lineage of educators, nearly everyone on my mom's side of the family were teachers, and my mother was a principal. My heart goes out to these teachers who's lives are in danger because politicians want to be re-elected more than they want public safety. To be forced with no paycheck or your health isn't a fair thing to ask. I wonder if online learning is good enough to get your Masters degree, why isn't it good enough for our children. What's the difference in a lecture being taught via Zoom, and in person? No much. It makes zero sense to re-open schools to face to face instruction.
    The only difference is Zoom doesn't come with a babysitter. And some people need to work and don't have a better option than sending their kid to school.

This is an unfair question to ask parents and teachers. Everyone needs their paycheck, their health, their healthcare, their food, their place to live, etc. And the problem is there's no right answer that protects everyone.

I know teachers looking at being forced to go to school that don't wanna go. I know parents that need to send their kids to school and don't wanna. Not to mention teachers who are also parents and feel guilty about having to send their kids to school or daycare so they can teach.

Heck, I even know parents that have to go to an office to do stuff that could be done from home. There's a big domino effect at play here. If more corporate employees were able to work from home, it would lessen their need to send their kids to school.

And while it's suboptimal to have to take care of kids and work at the same time, it's doable. And people are generally understanding. I laugh every day because one of my coworkers seems to have a zoo at his house. But we put up with it and talk to his kids when he has zoom meetings. He's got 4 kids under 6 and the guy has a modest house and with everyone at home together, he's just got challenges getting peace and quiet to work. This guy is the poster child of the guy that needs to be in an office. Or he needs his kids in day care/school. But these are weird times and he makes do. I haven't specifically talked to him about his thoughts on schools opening up, but I have no idea how he could make it work having 4 kids at home attending zoom classes while he and his wife are home working from the same house. He probably would need a couple nannies.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know teachers looking at being forced to go to school that don't wanna go. I know parents that need to send their kids to school and don't wanna. Not to mention teachers who are also parents and feel guilty about having to send their kids to school or daycare so they can teach.
    I also have teacher friends who insist that we should be opening schools full-time and that kids are being damaged by staying at home too much.

We're being given the hybrid option at our high school. Two days in school. Three days from home. Our daughter wants the hybrid option and really misses some kind of in-person interaction. I work from home full-time, so either option is OK for me. We'll give the hybrid option a try but I think the first day someone reports being sick, it'll be switched to in-home learning full time.

It seems that no overwhelming majority can agree on anything.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I also have teacher friends who insist that we should be opening schools full-time and that kids are being damaged by staying at home too much.

We're being given the hybrid option at our high school. Two days in school. Three days from home. Our daughter wants the hybrid option and really misses some kind of in-person interaction. I work from home full-time, so either option is OK for me. We'll give the hybrid option a try but I think the first day someone reports being sick, it'll be switched to in-home learning full time.

It seems that no overwhelming majority can agree on anything.
    I know the people that want to go back too.

I have a nephew that thinks being out of school is awesome. I have a niece that wants to go back. They're in the same family and can't agree. So how in the world can people in different homes and different parts of the country collectively agree if individual families can't get on the same page?

No matter what happens, I think this is something that will mentally traumatize people for years to come.

Even for those of us not going into an office now, it feels like most people work more now than they did before. I feel like it's been 10 years since I've been in a office. And I have a hard time saying I can't do something or take a meeting now because frankly, I'm probably around the house and available more often and sometimes it's something to pass the time that I don't mind doing.

The other weird thing is we're haven't taken any vacations this year. Even no long weekends staying with friends or getting a place by the beach for a couple days. Not getting that change of scenery or human interaction takes a mental toll. It's kinda funny where now if I take a 30 min+ drive, I feel like it's a huge getaway.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My wife is a teacher and a parent. I will have to work from home so she can teach remotely. It sucks but it’s better than sending them to daycare and her being in a class room with a bunch of teenagers who probably aren’t social distancing.

My cousin is 35 and a teacher and she is writing her will because she has a medical condition that puts her at risk.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

You apparently don't have small kids or you would see the problem. Who is proctering the kids while they are supposed to be online learning? How is it ensured they are doing their assignments? With privacy laws, parents can't even access student accounts. How will this be handled?