Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Head Coaches Beginning To Question If League Should Postpone Regular Season

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Is it possible to have had Covid and not have antibodies? My wife and I got tested last week. She has antibodies and I don’t. We’ve both been working from home since mid-March and around each other 24/7. You would think if she once had it so would I....unless it was a false positive test.
    I would assume if you had it and recovered you would have the antibodies. It does seem strange that your wife would have had it and you wouldn't have contracted it being locked down with her so closely.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The current rules were not implemented to prevent infections. They served their intended purpose of slowing the rate of infections. It's time to move forward and live with this as you would any other virus. If you prefer to live in a bubble until a vaccine is discovered, that is your choice.
    The world has been living with Ebola, West Nile, Zeka, and other far more nefarious viruses.
    My sister is a nurse in a major Pittsburgh hospital. She said the vast majority of hospitalizations from COVID are people with underlying issues.
    Not everyone is obeying the guidelines because they are afraid Covid will kill them. They obey the guidelines because they don't want to infect people who might not be able to fight off the virus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    our refusal to respect science but us in the arse.
    I like science and do it for a living.

I think we should make policy based on evidence and then evaluate the actual success of policies.

But this is harder in this case. Science didn't know any of the answers because the virus was new. You can see this by looking at guidance from the WHO throughout this thing.

We also got screwed because the CDC messed up the primers in the first PCR tests.

I don't think the current administrations did all that well (federally or in most states). But I don't think having a different leader or a different team in charge would have made much of a difference.

I live in NYS. And politicians in NYC, and the state level failed pretty hard too. Although Cuomo gives better press conferences than Trump.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    That's not true Japan did lock down, authorities urged people to stay home as much as possible, restaurants to do only take out, companies to have employees work from home. Japan just couldn't legally impose a lock down but they still put the forth the guidelines and the people followed them. Where Japan was different was they were able to identify where the clusters of infections where occurring and take action to isolate those clusters. Our president was to busy calling it a hoax and before you knew it, it was popping up all over the country. So we had no idea how widespread it was because we were so far behind on testing and we didn't isolate the initial infections because our president was trying to keep the numbers down.
    Yes, the democrat narrative. And not only did Trump do nothing at all, but he was trying to make more people racist at the same time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems the story is changing again:

NFL coronavirus: League reportedly optimistic about 2020 season despite rash of positive COVID-19 tests
    The NFL refuses to wave the white flag in the battle against COVID-19
    Patrik Walker

By Patrik Walker
    5 hrs ago
    4 min read

Watch Now: Dr. Fauci: 'Football May Not Happen This Year' Unless Players Live In 'Bubble' (1:53)
    The NFL isn't backing down from its hope of a season in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, despite facing a new set of problems and dwindling time to get everything figured out. Things appeared to be swiftly getting back on track in time to end the virtual offseason on June 26 and potentially aim at opening training camps in mid- to late-July, if not slightly sooner, but things are taking a dark turn as of late. Groups of players from several teams tested positive for the coronavirus in June -- headlined by Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott -- leading to the NFLPA asking players to halt all private workouts with teammates from here on out.

Each of these situations is a black eye to the chances of an NFL season in the fall, but the league is reportedly still optimistic there will be games played in 2020, per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

The NFL and NFLPA recently released a joint set of stringent COVID-19 protocol each team must adhere to before players are allowed to return to facilities, a list that includes rearranging the locker room and redesigning on-the-field group workouts, but head coaches John Harbaugh and Sean McVay have already professed some of it as "humanly impossible," given how football is a contact sport. None of it seems to deter the league's front office though, with their bigger concern seemingly being if fans will be allowed to attend games. When it comes to that, the league reportedly isn't so hopeful, despite states like Texas having entered Phase 3 of reopening -- granting teams permission to house up to 50 percent stadium capacity.

That was in early June though, before the rash of positive COVID-19 tests that included both the Cowboys and the Houston Texans, and the reopening of Florida has been met with positive tests from at least one coach and several players of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

That said, it remains unlikely teams like the Cowboys would be willing to take on the liability of opening the doors to fans.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the leading voice on how the country should manage the coronavirus pandemic, agrees that all hope is not yet lost for a possible NFL season in 2020 -- albeit with a stern warning. Fauci feels the only way it will/can take place is if the league follows the example of the soon-to-reopen NBA, as the latter readies to resume its season using Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida as a bubble.

"Unless players are essentially in a bubble -- insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day -- it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Fauci said, via CNN. "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."

Fauci's comments were met with a response from Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer.

"Dr. Fauci has identified the important health and safety issues we and the NFL Players Association, together with our joint medical advisors, are addressing to mitigate the health risk to players, coaches and other essential personnel," he said. "We are developing a comprehensive and rapid-result testing program and rigorous protocols that call for a shared responsibility from everyone inside our football ecosystem. This is based on the collective guidance of public health officials, including the White House task force, the CDC, infectious disease experts and other sports leagues."

Sills went on to acknowledge what the NFL is up against, but echoes reporting of the league's optimism regarding the season.

"Make no mistake, this is no easy task," he added. "We will make adjustments as necessary to meet the public health environment as we prepare to play the 2020 season as scheduled with increased protocols and safety measures for all players, personnel and attendees. We will be flexible and adaptable in this environment to adjust to the virus as needed."

As for the bubble concept, Sills shot it down directly in an interview with NFL Network.

"We do not feel it's practical or appropriate to construct a bubble," he said. "Anyone who tests positive will be isolated until medically appropriate to return."

This of course introduces a myriad of possible scenarios that could create potential bedlam at some point of of the season and particularly in the playoffs, as players and/or coaches potentially test positive for COVID-19 with some of the biggest games on the calendar. There are some very real nightmare scenarios hiding in the bushes for the NFL over the coming weeks and months, but the biggest would be to see the season canceled altogether, and the league is far from throwing in the towel in that fight -- at least for now.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...tive-covid-19/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Yes, the democrat narrative. And not only did Trump do nothing at all, but he was trying to make more people racist at the same time.
    No not a democrat narrative, it's a fact, are you saying Trump didn't call it a hoax and wasn't trying to keep the numbers down?

Legend

User Info Menu

No not a democrat narrative, it's a fact, are you saying Trump didn't call it a hoax and wasn't trying to keep the numbers down?
    its crazy how America has turned this into a political weapon. No one is out to get Trump or damage Democrats.

If we just tested vigorously, wore mask and didn’t act like warm weather cured Covid we would be in a much better place IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Trump is an idiot. (And I’m an Independent that leans Republican).

I still remember when he said it’ll go away on its own. 2.3 million cases later and he’s still waiting for it to magically disappear. I’ll trust science and listen to the CDC and WHO.

To keep this football related, Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Trump is an idiot. (And I’m an Independent that leans Republican).

I still remember when he said it’ll go away on its own. 2.3 million cases later and he’s still waiting for it to magically disappear. I’ll trust science and listen to the CDC and WHO.

To keep this football related, Go Steelers!
    a lot of people want it to go away. This idea that you can just return to normal
    and it will disappear is odd.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    its crazy how America has turned this into a political weapon. No one is out to get Trump or damage Democrats.

If we just tested vigorously, wore mask and didn’t act like warm weather cured Covid we would be in a much better place IMO.
    I agree with the first part but not the second. It is tragic that a health problem has been politicized. There have been plenty of missteps by many people in authority. It's one reason why there is so much distrust with news on this.
    But I can't see what increased testing gets you. You could test negative today, and contract the virus the very next day, so unless you propose daily testing, people will be exposed to this thing at some point and likely without knowing it. And if you test positive, at what point can you say you are no longer contagious? I don't think anyone really knows.