Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Head Coaches Beginning To Question If League Should Postpone Regular Season

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL Head Coaches Beginning To Question If League Should Postpone Regular Season

Report: NFL Head Coaches Beginning To Question If League Should Postpone Regular Season

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on June 20, 2020

We’ll be writing about it more on Monday but the NFL is beginning to feel the full brunt of the COVID-19 pandemic. Several NFL players have confirmed to test positive for the virus, leading some coaches to wonder if the league will truly be able to remain on schedule this season.

ESPN’s Ed Werder cites three head coaches with varying degrees of concern, including one who believes the league should postpone the Week One kickoff.

The league has attempted to project as much normalcy as possible over the past couple months. They’ve been able to maintain that with the benefit of an offseason on their side. An offseason that’s quickly coming to a close. Training camps are set to begin a little more than a month away. Ditto with the Hall of Fame Game and 2020 induction ceremonies. Now football must join hockey, basketball, baseball, and all other sports in making some difficult decisions about its future.

They have seemed to rule out a “bubble” league akin to what the NBA is doing, placing all teams in one location. For the NFL, that’s not a realistic plan. Too many teams, too many players, coaches, support staff, for too long of a season. Basketball is only going through the playoffs. The NHL is in a similar boat and MLB…that’s another can of worms but in a best case, they won’t play more than 70 games this year.

Can the NFL be the exception? Play their 16 game season, through the entire fall and winter, when there may be a second wave of COVID? At this point, it feels like it’ll be a minor miracle to pull that off. The more cases that come up, the more logistics that must be overcome, the more likely other coaches will feel sticking with the status quo isn’t possible.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/06/re...egular-season/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There isn’t going to be a season. Clemson just had 25 players test positive.

until we get a vaccine it’s not happening.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Now there's some results coming in indicating that there may be no lasting immunity to Covid -- if that's true, people may be able to get it again, and there may be no realistic possibility of an immunization. At least not in the near future.

Sadly, it's looking more possible that we may have no NFL in 2020. And maybe even beyond.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There isn’t going to be a season. Clemson just had 25 players test positive.

until we get a vaccine it’s not happening.
    Dizz, testing positive is a media generated scare metric. What is more important but harder to find in the MSM is the rate of hospitalizations.
    Where I live people are generally over the whole thing. Fewer masks being worn, social distancing not happening.

The NFL has a dilemma. There is a real potential to lose viewers and fans in future seasons once people learn to do other things on gameday.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The NFL has a dilemma. There is a real potential to lose viewers and fans in future seasons once people learn to do other things on gameday.
    I’d actually like to see Roger Goodell and his NFL take a major financial hit for the next few years just to humble their arrogance and disregard for the fans who pay the bills for them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dizz, testing positive is a media generated scare metric. What is more important but harder to find in the MSM is the rate of hospitalizations.
    Where I live people are generally over the whole thing. Fewer masks being worn, social distancing not happening.

I have a hard time supporting your theory when I know someone who died from this thing. We’re not doing enough testing and we have no clue the full impact of what the true numbers are.

Legend

User Info Menu

The statistics are being skewed by double counting. If you get tested and have active COVID that is counted as a positive. What is not stated in the stats is if you get tested and you have the antibody which means you had it and recovered perhaps months ago you are also getting counted as a positive.

Looking at hospitalizations and more importnant death rates this is not getting worse.

If your plan to wait for a proven vaccine then plan to live in an economically devastated country that will take a life time to recover if ever. I know of several businesses who employed hundreds of people who already know they will never come back.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

no.. just no.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The statistics are being skewed by double counting. If you get tested and have active COVID that is counted as a positive. What is not stated in the stats is if you get tested and you have the antibody which means you had it and recovered perhaps months ago you are also getting counted as a positive.

Looking at hospitalizations and more importnant death rates this is not getting worse.

If your plan to wait for a proven vaccine then plan to live in an economically devastated country that will take a life time to recover if ever. I know of several businesses who employed hundreds of people who already know they will never come back.
    if you plan to go to large gatherings right now because you think the media is out to get you.. good luck.

and as far as businesses go. It’s a shame this country has trillions of dollars exchanging hands and no oversight on who is getting help and who isn’t.

Once again America has decided to help out Wall St instead of Main St and small businesses.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 06-21-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

My mother works at the hospital and they have a Covid-19 wing, the wing after the initial round of lock downs and social distancing measures was closed down, but since the opening up of the economy they have had to re-open the Covid-19 wing.