Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiring Randy Fichtner The ‘Easiest Phone Call I’ve Ever Made,’ Says Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I don't know how anyone could look at the train wreck of injuries last year and say it's coaching. In fact when you have essentially the worst offense in the league yet were somehow relevant all of december and only one win away from making the post-season, I'd suggest that's quite a coaching accomplishment.

I don't think tomlin is a great strategy guy and has a lot of faults in my opinion - but without a doubt one of his strengths is circling the wagons and overcoming adversity. Last year was tailor made for Tomlin and his staff.

sometimes there actually is a legitimate excuse....
    If you look at the entire season, injuries and record, one could argue it's was a good coaching job.
    If you looked at the team only needing 1 win in the last 3, than it wasn't.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    So, you feel we under-achieved last year, because of coaching? You think there's another coaching staff in the league that could have guided that patchwork offensive mess into the playoffs?
    I believe other staffs could have.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    If you look at the entire season, injuries and record, one could argue it's was a good coaching job.
    If you looked at the team only needing 1 win in the last 3, than it wasn't.
    Here's where I think the inconsistancy is......

People are quick to praise Tomlin for the coaching job he did after the first 13 weeks; okay I get that.

But then when he played his weakest opponent of the season in a must win game ( to get into the playoffs) against the Jets, he face plants and then the same people who praise him say, " Well he had a season full of injuries on the offensive side of the ball."

You can't have it both ways; he had those same injuries when he beat the Rams & Chargers and the other 8 wins. But he faced the one game on the schedule that he was suppose (favored) to win and chokes and there are nothing but excuses. If he can be praised for wins then he can be blamed on winnable losses as well.

I've not said anything about Tomlin's coaching job last year up to this point. With all the injuries he dealt with, It may not be fair to critique him either way. So I won't. But I'm saying if you do critique him one way, then he has to be questioned the other way as well. That's my whole point.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 05-27-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post

People are quick to praise Tomlin for the coaching job he did after the first 13 weeks; okay I get that.

But then when he played his weakest opponent of the season in a must win game ( to get into the playoffs) against the Jets, he face plants and then the same people who praise him say, " Well he had a season full of injuries on the offensive side of the ball."

You can't have it both ways; he had those same injuries when he beat the Rams & Chargers and the other 8 wins. But he faced the one game on the schedule that he was suppose (favored) to win and chokes and there are nothing but excuses. If he can be praised for wins then he can be blamed on winnable losses as well.

I've not said anything about Tomlin's coaching job last year up to this point. With all the injuries he dealt with, It may not be fair to critique him either way. So I won't. But I'm saying if you do critique him one way, then he has to be questioned the other way as well. That's my whole point.
    Absolutely spot on.
    I sure remember a lot of coty talk 1/2 to 3/4 way thru the season. None or not much after. So based on that, even the biggest Tomlin fanboys must have believed he didn't deserve it after the season ended.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    So, you feel we under-achieved last year, because of coaching? You think there's another coaching staff in the league that could have guided that patchwork offensive mess into the playoffs?
    He's underachieved for " years " ...LAST year him and y'all keep throwing around that " 3rd string, 4th string/ injury blah blah stuff as the excuse when in actuality, He's been doing it for years... Continually losing to the bottom feeders, and not being prepared is his most endearing trait

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I missed a lot of the Jets game but watched the last few minutes. I was keeping track on my phone and it wasn’t pretty.

However, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Rams game to the Jets game.

I think as the season progressed the D was being asked to do way too much. The offense was consistently going 3 and out.

I believe this was the game Duck was replaced by Mason in the second half.

I forget who it was but there was a guy on here who swore Duck was the answer because he won the Chargers game because of his down field throws that opened up the running game. That was always a hilarious oversimplification of the success in those games.

Our D was unreal for most of the season but I think people took for granted how great they played and expected it to continue all season. When your O can’t stay on the field for more than 3 or 4 plays.. the D will get tired.

checking the play by play stats. We had 30 plays for 61 total yards in the second half.

Just terrible on offense.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

The difference is time and tape. By that point in the season opponents had enough film to understand what the Steelers were doing on offense. And given the inexperience of the players it would be unlikely to install new game plans every week.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    He's underachieved for " years " ...LAST year him and y'all keep throwing around that " 3rd string, 4th string/ injury blah blah stuff as the excuse when in actuality, He's been doing it for years... Continually losing to the bottom feeders, and not being prepared is his most endearing trait

Tomlin definitely deserves some blame for losses and those losses go on his record but so do the wins and he’s had a lot more W’s than L’s.

But you know what else is the common denominator in most of these “bad losses” the Hofer QB who admits he doesn’t work out in offseason and routinely has a few bad Ben outings every year.

Honestly tho, I think the bad losses are overhyped and most stats show that at least half the “bad teams” that we lose to weren’t bad teams once the season ends and you look back at their whole season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The difference is time and tape. By that point in the season opponents had enough film to understand what the Steelers were doing on offense. And given the inexperience of the players it would be unlikely to install new game plans every week.
    Yup. Duck had a week arm but he was greedy and overconfident once he broke the pocket.

Teams sat back and waited on him to serve up balloons.

Mason wasn’t the same once he returned from the Baltimore game and I think he rushed back because Duck won vs the Chargers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I missed a lot of the Jets game but watched the last few minutes. I was keeping track on my phone and it wasn’t pretty.

However, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Rams game to the Jets game.

I think as the season progressed the D was being asked to do way too much. The offense was consistently going 3 and out.

I believe this was the game Duck was replaced by Mason in the second half.

I forget who it was but there was a guy on here who swore Duck was the answer because he won the Chargers game because of his down field throws that opened up the running game. That was always a hilarious oversimplification of the success in those games.

Our D was unreal for most of the season but I think people took for granted how great they played and expected it to continue all season. When your O can’t stay on the field for more than 3 or 4 plays.. the D will get tired.

checking the play by play stats. We had 30 plays for 61 total yards in the second half.

Just terrible on offense.
    This.

We needed the D to score (or at least dominate the turnover battle) to win last year.

Fitz scored on a fumble against the Rams (we won by 5 I think).

We lost the turnover battle with no defensive scores against the Jets.

I agree that tape caught up to us. Teams realized that all they had to do to beat us was not give up cheap points on turnovers because it was obvious that our O wasn't going to do anything.

On the whole, I think the team did a pretty good job of making chicken salad out of chicken **** last year.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158