Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiring Randy Fichtner The ‘Easiest Phone Call I’ve Ever Made,’ Says Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That is because you are rational unlike others who just like to ignore what happened last year and complain.
    if these were numbers with Ben I would be concerned if he returned.

but we traded away our backup from last year who was mobile and we were down to a 4th string QB, some RB named Whyte and some practice squad WR’s.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yea, 4th string QB throwing to called-up practice squaders ain't gonna win any OC awards.
    The playbook was probably 12 plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m sure it was a easy phone call, it’s not like his phone was busy taking other offers.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last year was a hodge-podge of injuries all over the offensive side of the ball but even in the previous year, I didn't think he did a great job. Didn't like the way he quit running the ball. Especially in that Denver game when we had first and goal at the one yard line and not one running play.
    But Ben is so experienced that I"m happy with him dictating more of the offense then Fitchner this coming season. At least that's my hope.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know how anyone could look at the train wreck of injuries last year and say it's coaching. In fact when you have essentially the worst offense in the league yet were somehow relevant all of december and only one win away from making the post-season, I'd suggest that's quite a coaching accomplishment.

I don't think tomlin is a great strategy guy and has a lot of faults in my opinion - but without a doubt one of his strengths is circling the wagons and overcoming adversity. Last year was tailor made for Tomlin and his staff.

sometimes there actually is a legitimate excuse....
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I don't know how anyone could look at the train wreck of injuries last year and say it's coaching. In fact when you have essentially the worst offense in the league yet were somehow relevant all of december and only one win away from making the post-season, I'd suggest that's quite a coaching accomplishment.

I don't think tomlin is a great strategy guy and has a lot of faults in my opinion - but without a doubt one of his strengths is circling the wagons and overcoming adversity. Last year was tailor made for Tomlin and his staff.

sometimes there actually is a legitimate excuse....

But suggesting that we still almost made the play offs with all our injuries would be a positive statement and therefore incomprehensible to some

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Last year was a hodge-podge of injuries all over the offensive side of the ball but even in the previous year, I didn't think he did a great job. Didn't like the way he quit running the ball. Especially in that Denver game when we had first and goal at the one yard line and not one running play.
    But Ben is so experienced that I"m happy with him dictating more of the offense then Fitchner this coming season. At least that's my hope.
    First in goal at the 3. Pass incomplete.

Second and Goal at the 3. Conner runs for 2 yards to the 1 yard line.

3rd and goal at the 1. Interception.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But suggesting that we still almost made the play offs with all our injuries would be a positive statement and therefore incomprehensible to some
    Almost yay! That's Tomlins and most on heres battling cry!

Woo Hoo ALMOST......Again!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Almost yay! That's Tomlins and most on heres battling cry!

Woo Hoo ALMOST......Again!
    So, you feel we under-achieved last year, because of coaching? You think there's another coaching staff in the league that could have guided that patchwork offensive mess into the playoffs?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Given the injuries on offense I can’t blame Fitchner too much for last year.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what people expect, that Fitchner be a miracle worker? No one could have coached up that garbage.