Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D Johnson: Breakout Season

Legend

User Info Menu

D Johnson: Breakout Season

Don't know who Dan Schmelzer is but I like what he is selling:

Pittsburgh Steelers: Diontae Johnson set up for breakout sophomore year
    by Dan Schmelzer 2 days ago Follow @DSchmelzerFS

Expect Diontae Johnson to be a major breakout player for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2020.
    Getting Ben Roethlisberger back and healthy will obviously be key for the Pittsburgh Steelers and no player is set to benefit more than second-year wide receiver Diontae Johnson. The Steelers took Johnson in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft and he came in and made an immediate impact for the team. As a rookie last season, Johnson piled up 59 receptions for 680 yards and five touchdowns.

The Pittsburgh Steelers undoubtedly know how to find undervalued talent at the wide receiver position and Johnson could be their next hidden gem. He put up strong production as a rookie catching passes from Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges, and caught 91% of the catchable targets thrown to him, according to PFF. Just imagine what he can do with a full season with Roethlisberger throwing him the ball.

Johnson is an extremely quick and shifty receiver who consistently finds space in his routes. He has an impressive release at the line of scrimmage, is extremely quick in and out of his cuts and accelerates at an extremely high level.

He is a high-level route runner who can create consistent separation at all times and that was consistently shown during his rookie season. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Johnson averaged 3.6 yards of separation for each target in 2019, the most of any wide receiver in the entire NFL. Make no mistake about it, this guy knows how to get open.

Once the ball is in his hands, Johnson uses his impressive agility and sudden explosiveness to create after the catch. He is a dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands who is a threat to take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Johnson was an incredibly exciting prospect coming out of college and his first season in the league should only help build the excitement around him. If the Steelers get a full, healthy season out of Roethlisberger, Johnson could absolutely blow up into a star receiver in their offense
    https://nflmocks.com/2020/05/20/pitt...nson-breakout/

Legend

User Info Menu

I’m buying it.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I’m buying it.
    The kid showed some skills as a rookie when the offense was in historically bad shape. In total shambles. And he still made some plays. And I'm not sleeping on Washington either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    The kid showed some skills as a rookie when the offense was in historically bad shape. In total shambles. And he still made some plays. And I'm not sleeping on Washington either.
    Yea, Washington posted some surprisingly good numbers for last season.... courtesy of connection with Rudolph on some downfield throws. I hope Roethlisberger doesn't force feed his buddy Switz but takes advantage of these young studs he has available now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last edited by Steel Maniac; 05-23-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yea, Washington posted some surprisingly good numbers for last season.... courtesy of connection with Rudolph on some downfield throws. I hope Roethlisberger doesn't force feed his buddy Switz but takes advantage of these young studs he has available now.
    I'm not sure Switz even makes the team. But he may hang on to the 5th spot. Obviously, JuJu, DJ, Washington and Claypool will be ahead of him. To be honest, I thought Switz would be more productive, like a Wes Welker. It never happened.

Legend

User Info Menu

I can see Johnson getting 80+ catches this season.

I think Switzer sticks but he won't see the field much but the #5 WR never does. I think Cain is the biggest threat to him making the roster. Indy was really high on him and were really upset when we took him off their PS.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope he pans out, but really all of our WRs have question marks.

I think they all have the potential to be good in the roles we have for them, but I want to see it first.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just watched on youtube all of our td's and big plays from last year and our receivers made some great plays last year, Johnson and Washington could have big years for sure.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I just watched on youtube all of our td's and big plays from last year and our receivers made some great plays last year, Johnson and Washington could have big years for sure.
    I watched that same vid. A lot more big plays than I remembered. I think the 3-game losing streak to end the year is what is remembered the most.