Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin ‘Excited’ About CB Justin Layne

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Can you make that case by example? I contend that in nearly every case great QB and elite secondary player results in championships.

Name an example where that did not work?

Marino/Montana
    The difference in their success is secondary.
    I said any ONE piece that makes you a contender in the draft.

There is no example where all a team needed was one DB in a draft to win a championship.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-23-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers were invested in running back and receiver.

Pats invested in secondary.

Last playoff the guy who looked like a future HOFer was the Pats Lacross player backup.

The guy who looked like a pedestrian career backup was our all world receiver Brown.

Give me great secondary over great receiver any day.

I can name DOZENS of examples where secondary wins the big games.
    Another post slurping the Pats. Damn dude.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I said anyone ONE piece that makes you a contender in the draft.

There is no example where all a team needed was one DB in a draft to win a championship.
    Who here contends that ALL you need is a DB?
    I am the staunchest advocate of DBs on this board and I've already said elite QB AND DB almost ALWAYS wins a championship.

Another post slurping the Pats. Damn dude.
    Oh, so you are not just arguing against a point NOBODY is making (strawman), we are going the gay insult route because you have no answer.

Is that really you Dizz, because your arguing style here is straight from the "Tomlin hater" playbook.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-23-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Who here contends that ALL you need is a DB?
    I am the staunchest advocate of DBs on this board and I've already said elite QB AND DB almost ALWAYS wins a championship.

Oh, so you are not just arguing against a point NOBODY is making (strawman), we are going the gay insult route because you have no answer.

Is that really you Dizz, because your arguing style here is straight from the "Tomlin hater" playbook.
    SM said from 2014-2018 if we moved up to get an elite CB we would’ve made a SB. That’s what my post was referencing.

Then you jumped in with another NE example.

No straw man.. but you’ve definitely been slurping the NE kool-aid with a crazy straw.

Pats also invested in camera crews to continue cheating. What happened to the Pats this year? Could it be they were exposed again and had to shut down their signal stealing and fell back to earth?

Even Gronk and Brady got tired of “winning” that way and moved on.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-23-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

SM said from 2014-2018 if we moved up to get an elite CB we would’ve made a SB. That’s what my post was referencing.

No straw man.. but you’ve definitely been slurping the NE kool-aid with a crazy straw.

Pats also invested in camera crews to continue cheating. What happened to the Pats this year? Could it be they were exposed again and had to shut down their signal stealing and fell back to earth?

I'm glad we stayed pat and drafted Watt. Selling the farm for a lotto ticket isn't a good strategy IMO.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I'm glad we stayed pat and drafted Watt. Selling the farm for a lotto ticket isn't a good strategy IMO.
    Depends how close we you are. We were very close in that window. Very close.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

I said any ONE piece that makes you a contender in the draft.

Although both SF and Dallas proved that ONE CB (D. Sanders) in free agency could make the difference to winning a ring.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not for trading up for an elite corner because usually we draft too low...cost prohibitive and it is a "lotto ticket'.

Free agency is the way...you said it yourself.

But it goes back to why I hate paying elite backs and receivers market prices. They don't give you rings Dizz.

You can pay for elite secondary and "settle" in the "skill" positions for good, not great. The elite are simply overpaid.

Most of the league does not know this strategy which is why it ain't that hard to do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Although both SF and Dallas proved that ONE CB (D. Sanders) in free agency could make the difference to winning a ring.
    Yes, long before the Pats did it TWICE, Deon proved what a difference maker ONE free agent DB can make in who wins the championship.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not for trading up for an elite corner because usually we draft too low...cost prohibitive and it is a "lotto ticket'.

Free agency is the way...you said it yourself.

But it goes back to why I hate paying elite backs and receivers market prices. They don't give you rings Dizz.

You can pay for elite secondary and "settle" in the "skill" positions for good, not great. The elite are simply overpaid.

Most of the league does not know this strategy which is why it ain't that hard to do.
    I used the draft in a sense if there being a consensus #1 cornerback coming out. Like the year Jalen Ramsey came out. He was a can’t miss prospect.

I was thinking what if it were a year were a can’t miss cornerback was in the draft , and we were close like we were between 2014-2018. Sorry about me not being specific enough gentlemen.

During that 2014-2018 period, by the draft or free agency, I would have acquired an elite cornerback to get us over the hump.

I know North doesn’t agree with that but we were too close in my opinion not to do that.

It worked in Dallas & San Francisco with Deion Sanders when those two teams were close. And it worked in Denver with the Telib free agent signing as well.

Worked in New England with Darrell Revis too.

When a team is close, and the area that’s holding you back is your secondary, why not ? We’ve had recent example of success going that route.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]