Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben in great shape?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac
    ***Buzz, in your opinion, who's a better OC? Halely or Fitchner?
    Ben + Fichtner = better red zone success than Ben + Haley. Rudolph/Duck + Fichtner = sucked (but probably would have sucked with Rudolph/Duck + Haley). Haley might have been a little more creative, but more than a few times, IMO, he erred by trying to show how clever he was when simpler play calling would've filled the bill. I'm concerned that, at times, Ben may need an OC who will refuse to just rubber stamp what Ben wants. Haley WAS that guy, Fichtner ISN'T.

All in all, I'd give a slight edge to Fichtner as of right now, but may take that back if the offense doesn't take a step forward this season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought Haley was a very good OC. It's hard to deny the output under his guidance with the added bonus of reducing hits on Ben. I remarked at the time he was fired I thought it was curious that after scoring an over 40 burger against the jags and losing because the defense gave up a bigger 40 burger - that it was the OC and not the DC who was let go. I agree with the sentiments he appeared to be a jaggov, but in a results industry I can't critique his results. Yes, too many bubble screens and the only thing dumber than his aversion to the QB sneak was announcing to the rest of the league he hates the QB sneak. But I thought his game plans were usually solid, he seemed to maximize the production of his players. I'd say that's a good effort for the OC. Lastly, the Steelers over the last 5-7 years weren't losing because of poor offense.

So put me in the camp of thinking Haley was pretty good. Jury is still out on Fichtner for me. Last year isn't worth focusing on.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I thought Haley was a very good OC. It's hard to deny the output under his guidance with the added bonus of reducing hits on Ben. I remarked at the time he was fired I thought it was curious that after scoring an over 40 burger against the jags and losing because the defense gave up a bigger 40 burger - that it was the OC and not the DC who was let go. I agree with the sentiments he appeared to be a jaggov, but in a results industry I can't critique his results. Yes, too many bubble screens and the only thing dumber than his aversion to the QB sneak was announcing to the rest of the league he hates the QB sneak. But I thought his game plans were usually solid, he seemed to maximize the production of his players. I'd say that's a good effort for the OC. Lastly, the Steelers over the last 5-7 years weren't losing because of poor offense.

So put me in the camp of thinking Haley was pretty good. Jury is still out on Fichtner for me. Last year isn't worth focusing on.
    while we didn’t like all the bubble screens they were effective. It’s basically a running play to a WR and we usually averaged like 5 yards a pop.

Just thought it was funny how we hated them under BA and then got more of them with Haley.

Anyone who watched other games knew it was a staple in every offense at the time.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was a Tequila Todd fan, Reduced the hits and interceptions on Ben but...There also has to be something said about him not getting another job since then

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    while we didnít like all the bubble screens they were effective. Itís basically a running play to a WR and we usually averaged like 5 yards a pop.

Just thought it was funny how we hated them under BA and then got more of them with Haley.

Anyone who watched other games knew it was a staple in every offense at the time.
    Yep, this is true. It also helped having AB catch the majority of those screens.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    I was a Tequila Todd fan, Reduced the hits and interceptions on Ben but...There also has to be something said about him not getting another job since then
    wasn’t he on the Browns staff for a
    minute?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    wasn’t he on the Browns staff for a
    minute?
    He's actually working as an OC for a High School in Sarasota. Not kidding.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    He's actually working as an OC for a High School in Sarasota. Not kidding.
    I actually think that's cool.
    Most egos wouldn't do that.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post

I’m in Starlifter’s camp on Haley vs. Fichtner.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Not true. At the time we hired Haley, a majority of the posters on the board were in agreement with Crash.....
    Enough reading to know your contention....WRONG