Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 98

Thread: Ben in great shape?

  1. #31
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    He's made me mad at times, the stupid interceptions, screaming at the TV. He's not without flaws, but bottom line, he wins. Can he now? I hope so.
    I agree whisper. Roethlisberger being out of shape is nothing new, he's not going to change things at this point in his career. And why would he? He's generally been successful doing what he's done.
    Seriously, why become a bodybuilder with 2 yrs left?

  2. #32
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree whisper. Roethlisberger being out of shape is nothing new, he's not going to change things at this point in his career. And why would he? He's generally been successful doing what he's done.
    Seriously, why become a bodybuilder with 2 yrs left?
    True..........

    Two legit TE's, two big WR's in Claypool and Juju, dump off options to McFarland and Connor as well. Ben should be able to get the ball out of his hands pretty quickly. Saving himself unnecessary physical punishment.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  3. #33
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    True..........

    Two legit TE's, two big WR's in Claypool and Juju, dump off options to McFarland and Connor as well. Ben should be able to get the ball out of his hands pretty quickly. Saving himself unnecessary physical punishment.
    A lot is on Ben himself, as far as holding onto the ball too long, waiting for someone to get open. Sometimes there are open guys but are not who he is looking for to get open. It will be interesting to see if Ben will focus even more on getting rid of the ball sooner. But you KNOW he loves the deep ball, and they take time to develop, so I'm not expecting him to stop tossing those. It's who he is.

  4. #34
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    A lot is on Ben himself, as far as holding onto the ball too long, waiting for someone to get open. Sometimes there are open guys but are not who he is looking for to get open. It will be interesting to see if Ben will focus even more on getting rid of the ball sooner. But you KNOW he loves the deep ball, and they take time to develop, so I'm not expecting him to stop tossing those. It's who he is.
    Ben has changed his game after Haley arrived. I think he finally bought in and that’s part of the reason our OL looks better in pass protection.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #35
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree whisper. Roethlisberger being out of shape is nothing new, he's not going to change things at this point in his career. And why would he? He's generally been successful doing what he's done.
    Seriously, why become a bodybuilder with 2 yrs left?
    well, this is a good question for this board. Has he been successful the second half of his career or has it been wasted since he hasn’t won SB’s?

    I think he has been successful overall but I think people want one more trophy and if he put in more work, maybe we have a better chance?

    and I can’t think of one QB besides maybe Cam that looks like they hit the weights hard.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  6. #36
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    When I say a 52 week commitment - that doesn't mean hitting the gym every day. Though I prefer our QB in the best shape possible, I think (absent the occasional vacation) it's not unreasonable to expect the QB and the Captain of the team to set the example and set the bar high when it comes to participation and workload. I also recognize the amount of required participation is mandated by the collective agreement, but again - I prefer 'leaders' who lead by example. Showing up at OTA's - required or not. Working with receivers throughout the year. Not taking 'days off' during camp and if you need a light day because you're 37 years old - spend it in the film room or with the coaches developing the offense you run. Check in with teammates during the off season. Welcome all the rookies and be a mentor. Perhaps he does all those things and we just don't know about it. I just know we CAN confirm there are a lot of things he doesn't do.

    I'm not suggesting Ben hasn't been a fantastic QB. He has. But to my earlier point, when the career is over (and no matter how successful he was) - will it be a fair criticism to suggest he might have been even better?

    To the question above. I don't believe the second half of his career has been wasted. He rode an aging great defense when he was younger and had to overcome a horrible defense for most of the last years since the GB Super Bowl loss. But I also think he has a 2-3 year window left to cement his greatness and credentials. I hope he uses his last 104-156 weeks wisely.

    Oh, and last small point. I believe my position on Tomlin has been made pretty clear over the years. It's interesting to me how many posters previously in this thread also aren't Tomlin fans and who never cut him any slack - are not applying the same standard to the highest paid player on the team.

    But here's hoping to a great year, 14-2, no injuries and #7 bringing Steeler Nation Lombardi #7!!...
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  7. #37
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    well, this is a good question for this board. Has he been successful the second half of his career or has it been wasted since he hasn’t won SB’s?

    I think he has been successful overall but I think people want one more trophy and if he put in more work, maybe we have a better chance?

    and I can’t think of one QB besides maybe Cam that looks like they hit the weights hard.
    Agree Felt. As long as he's not like 300 lbs when camp starts, whenever that is.

  8. #38
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    When I say a 52 week commitment - that doesn't mean hitting the gym every day. Though I prefer our QB in the best shape possible, I think (absent the occasional vacation) it's not unreasonable to expect the QB and the Captain of the team to set the example and set the bar high when it comes to participation and workload. I also recognize the amount of required participation is mandated by the collective agreement, but again - I prefer 'leaders' who lead by example. Showing up at OTA's - required or not. Working with receivers throughout the year. Not taking 'days off' during camp and if you need a light day because you're 37 years old - spend it in the film room or with the coaches developing the offense you run. Check in with teammates during the off season. Welcome all the rookies and be a mentor. Perhaps he does all those things and we just don't know about it. I just know we CAN confirm there are a lot of things he doesn't do.

    I'm not suggesting Ben hasn't been a fantastic QB. He has. But to my earlier point, when the career is over (and no matter how successful he was) - will it be a fair criticism to suggest he might have been even better?

    To the question above. I don't believe the second half of his career has been wasted. He rode an aging great defense when he was younger and had to overcome a horrible defense for most of the last years since the GB Super Bowl loss. But I also think he has a 2-3 year window left to cement his greatness and credentials. I hope he uses his last 104-156 weeks wisely.

    Oh, and last small point. I believe my position on Tomlin has been made pretty clear over the years. It's interesting to me how many posters previously in this thread also aren't Tomlin fans and who never cut him any slack - are not applying the same standard to the highest paid player on the team.

    But here's hoping to a great year, 14-2, no injuries and #7 bringing Steeler Nation Lombardi #7!!...
    I have had all these same thoughts: Could have Ben been better if he worked out a little, etc.? Like Troy Polamalu said, "Ben is Ben. He shouldn't stop being Ben."

    Ben has worked miracles so many times.

  9. #39
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Maybe the extra muscle (fat/blubber) on his frame actually prevented some injuries?

    ...like that Christmas cartoon "bumbles bounce"

  10. #40
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    When I say a 52 week commitment - that doesn't mean hitting the gym every day. Though I prefer our QB in the best shape possible, I think (absent the occasional vacation) it's not unreasonable to expect the QB and the Captain of the team to set the example and set the bar high when it comes to participation and workload. I also recognize the amount of required participation is mandated by the collective agreement, but again - I prefer 'leaders' who lead by example. Showing up at OTA's - required or not. Working with receivers throughout the year. Not taking 'days off' during camp and if you need a light day because you're 37 years old - spend it in the film room or with the coaches developing the offense you run. Check in with teammates during the off season. Welcome all the rookies and be a mentor. Perhaps he does all those things and we just don't know about it. I just know we CAN confirm there are a lot of things he doesn't do.

    I'm not suggesting Ben hasn't been a fantastic QB. He has. But to my earlier point, when the career is over (and no matter how successful he was) - will it be a fair criticism to suggest he might have been even better?

    To the question above. I don't believe the second half of his career has been wasted. He rode an aging great defense when he was younger and had to overcome a horrible defense for most of the last years since the GB Super Bowl loss. But I also think he has a 2-3 year window left to cement his greatness and credentials. I hope he uses his last 104-156 weeks wisely.

    Oh, and last small point. I believe my position on Tomlin has been made pretty clear over the years. It's interesting to me how many posters previously in this thread also aren't Tomlin fans and who never cut him any slack - are not applying the same standard to the highest paid player on the team.

    But here's hoping to a great year, 14-2, no injuries and #7 bringing Steeler Nation Lombardi #7!!...
    Good post. I agree 100%.

    One example that cracked me up was Ben lecturing how it was important for people to be in camp (I think it was when AB was missing for a few days)...

    and then he left for vacation later that day.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •