Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers offered more $ than Dallas for Dalton

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I dont know why the hell anybody would be happy with our backup QB situation

didnt they watch them play last season?
    They could look at it this way: How many teams would have a .500 record when playing with their 2nd and 4th QB all season? Some? Sure, we've even see back ups win the Super Bowl (Hostetler, Foles, Warner, Dilfer). But the majority of teams would struggle to win even 8 games.

So, maybe they figure we aren't much worse off than other teams after their starting QB. (But if there is truth to them attempting to sign Winston and Dalton, maybe they do feel it would be wise to upgrade the backup unit, but at what cost?)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don’t believe it for a second. Why would dalton choose less money to backup a young healthy QB as opposed to backing up a 37 year old, make more money and have a chance to stick it to Cincy? Doesn’t make sense to me.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I don’t believe it for a second. Why would dalton choose less money to backup a young healthy QB as opposed to backing up a 37 year old, make more money and have a chance to stick it to Cincy? Doesn’t make sense to me.
    Dalton was born in Katy, TX. He isn’t hurting for money. He probably jumped at the chance to go back home.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Dalton was born in Katy, TX. He isn’t hurting for money. He probably jumped at the chance to go back home.
    Well, you may be correct. Ultimately he’s a cowboy now. So I still hate him.....
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As I said a few posts ago, the dude who put the story out there has now come out and said it was not true. He made it up as a joke, or sarcasm -- kind of like Trump with the injecting disinfectant thing.

Starter

User Info Menu

He' s a TX dude, probably amped to go home. $3 mill guaranteed. If he has to go in, he has great talent to work with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    They could look at it this way: How many teams would have a .500 record when playing with their 2nd and 4th QB all season? Some? Sure, we've even see back ups win the Super Bowl (Hostetler, Foles, Warner, Dilfer). But the majority of teams would struggle to win even 8 games.

So, maybe they figure we aren't much worse off than other teams after their starting QB. (But if there is truth to them attempting to sign Winston and Dalton, maybe they do feel it would be wise to upgrade the backup unit, but at what cost?)
    I think when we look at the turnover stats it becomes clear that we were winning in spite of QB play and not because of it.

We were +8 in turnover ratio, ranking tied for 7th with the Chiefs. Indianapolis (12th @ +2) and Washington (13th @ +1) were the only other teams with a positive turnover ratio that did not make the playoffs.

We led the league with 38 takeaways (20 ints 18 fumble recoveries). Nine of the top 12 teams in takeaways made the playoffs. The only other teams to miss were Tampa (4th in takeaways but -13 differential) and LA (8th in takeaways but even differential).

Everyone knows this already, but the D carried this team last year and the O was brutal. Bad QB play was a big part of that. Maybe it gets better, but there's not much to be excited about behind Ben.

But I just don't think we have the cap space. We made this bet when we extended Ben. Now we have to let it play out.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    As I said a few posts ago, the dude who put the story out there has now come out and said it was not true. He made it up as a joke, or sarcasm
    ...or to get clicks
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    ...or to get clicks
    Could be ...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think when we look at the turnover stats it becomes clear that we were winning in spite of QB play and not because of it.

We were +8 in turnover ratio, ranking tied for 7th with the Chiefs. Indianapolis (12th @ +2) and Washington (13th @ +1) were the only other teams with a positive turnover ratio that did not make the playoffs.

We led the league with 38 takeaways (20 ints 18 fumble recoveries). Nine of the top 12 teams in takeaways made the playoffs. The only other teams to miss were Tampa (4th in takeaways but -13 differential) and LA (8th in takeaways but even differential).

Everyone knows this already, but the D carried this team last year and the O was brutal. Bad QB play was a big part of that. Maybe it gets better, but there's not much to be excited about behind Ben.

But I just don't think we have the cap space. We made this bet when we extended Ben. Now we have to let it play out.
    Of course QB, and the O in general, sucked. We were 30th in total O. But QB play wasn't the only problem; we were down to RBs and WRs I had never heard of and I'm not exaggerating. Whyte? We were so banged up. I put no credence into last year compared to this one - unless Ben goes down, then we are done. But, what could they have done? Would a Winston or Dalton win us a ring? Of course not.