Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Gen Stats rate Steelers Draft Among the Best

Legend

User Info Menu

Next Gen Stats rate Steelers Draft Among the Best

From Steelers Depot

Over the weekend, their Next Gen Stats made the case for the Pittsburgh Steelers’ draft class as being among the best in the league for 2020, in fact, ranked tied for third with the Baltimore Ravens and the Tennessee Titans. Only the Denver Broncos and Indianapolis Colts were considered to have done better with what they had.“The Next Gen Stats Draft Model analyzes historical college performance data to represent a player’s production in a single score based on the metrics that best predict NFL success”, the graphic posted on Twitter reads. Athleticism and production appear to be what the model values.
    The Ravens, Titans, and Steelers were all given a score of 74, while the Colts scored a 75, and Broncos at 77. According to their model, a 74 is at the top end of the ‘below average’ class, while 75 and up (I’m guessing to 89) represents ‘good’, with the tiers above and below those two being ‘elite’ and ‘poor’
    I like other fans did like what they did with what they had

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    From Steelers Depot

I am on the record saying I loved the draft...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I am on the record saying I loved the draft...
    Good balance of available talent and need

Legend

User Info Menu

From Steelers Depot

Nice to hear some good reviews of the draft.

I wonder what the historical success of their predictions is? Probably not any worse than the grades from draft gurus, right?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Nice to hear some good reviews of the draft.

I wonder what the historical success of their predictions is? Probably not any worse than the grades from draft gurus, right?

Well if you listen to Kiper, the Ravens should have the success of the Patriots because he gives them an "A" every draft. Biggest homer ever

Legend

User Info Menu

Well if you listen to Kiper, the Ravens should have the success of the Patriots because he gives them an "A" every draft. Biggest homer ever
    you have to take whatever Mel Kiper says with a grain of salt:

Limas Sweed ranked No. 4 by Mel Kiper in 2008

Like many people, ESPN's Mel Kiper saw a lot of potential in busted Steelers second round draft pick Limas Sweed in 2008. He was far from the only flameout in that year's draft, though.

By Neal Coolong Mar 17, 2014

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...er-limas-sweed

Banned

User Info Menu

STEELERS NEWSUpdated Compensatory Projections Have Steelers Netting 4th & 6th Rounder

ByAlex KozoraPosted on April 30, 2020 at 8:30 am

There’s been a slight edit to Over the Cap Nick Korte’s compensatory formula. Now that compensation window has closed, Korte unveiled his updated outlook. For Pittsburgh, they’re projected to receiver a pair of comp picks, a 4th and 6th rounder.

This’s slightly different than his previous projection in March, where the Steelers were predicted to receive a 4th and two 6th round selections.

The change? Nick Vannett, now projected to net only a 7th round kickback, has fallen off the list. At max, the NFL awards only 32 compensatory picks per year and Vannett’s salary wasn’t large enough to get him in the top 32, beaten out by Jeff Heath, who left Dallas to sign a $3 million deal with Oakland. Vannett signed for just $2.85 million with Denver.

The fourth rounder they are projected to receive is for Javon Hargrave, who signed a mega, three-year, $39 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagles. And the 6th rounder is for the loss of BJ Finney, who signed with Seattle.

close
    Pittsburgh also lost Sean Davis and Tyler Matakevich to free agency but those, according to Korte’s math, are cancelled out by the signings of Eric Ebron and Derek Watt.

To be clear, these projections aren’t gospel and won’t be 100% correct. But they’re as close as anyone gets so consider Korte an expert on the matter. There’s also the possibility the landscape changes during the season if teams release players. That happened in 2019 when the Eagles cut LJ Fort, forcing Pittsburgh to cut Donte Moncrief – not that they were too upset about it, I’m sure – in order to keep their third rounder for Le’Veon Bell. Those games weren’t addressed in the new CBA and teams are probably going to keep playing them so long as it’s allowed.

Current projections have, surprise, surprise, the New England Patriots as the early comp winners. Korte projects them to net a third and a pair of fourth round picks for losing Tom Brady, Kyle Van Noy, and Jamie Collins this offseason. Around the AFC North, Baltimore is to net a 5th while Cincinnati and Cleveland wouldn’t receive any compensation.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good balance of available talent and need
    Agreed - interestingly enough, I wasn't *excited* about the first couple of picks at the time because so many mocks i had seen had those guys going lower. Didn't research them hard in advance because i thought they were lower than what we'd look for.

Having said that, on the other part ... Limas was NOT my guy. Then again, i didn't want mendy, either. I had him ranked 4-5 RB in that draft behind Johnathan Stewart, Ray Rice, Felix Jones - two of the three went ahead of him and probably a good thing that we didn't get stuck with Rice - hahahaha
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 04-30-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Agreed - interestingly enough, I wasn't *excited* about the first couple of picks at the time because so many mocks i had seen had those guys going lower. Didn't research them hard in advance because i thought they were lower than what we'd look for.

Having said that, on the other part ... Limas was NOT my guy. Then again, i didn't want mendy, either. I had him ranked 4-5 RB in that draft behind Johnathan Stewart, Ray Rice, Felix Jones - two of the three went ahead of him and probably a good thing that we didn't get stuck with Rice - hahahaha
    I was thrilled with the Claypool pick. Didn't know much about Highsmith but the more I read the more I liked it. I also think the Dotson pick will result in a multi year starter

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you have to take whatever Mel Kiper says with a grain of salt:

Limas Sweed ranked No. 4 by Mel Kiper in 2008

Like many people, ESPN's Mel Kiper saw a lot of potential in busted Steelers second round draft pick Limas Sweed in 2008. He was far from the only flameout in that year's draft, though.

By Neal Coolong Mar 17, 2014

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...er-limas-sweed
    Sweed was legit in college. No one knew he would have a mental block.

I still think if he caught that first ball BA San Diego his whole life would’ve changed. Most people remember the drop vs Baltimore but a week earlier in the playoffs he had a wide open drop in garbage time.

Still can’t believe he dropped that pass BA Cincinnati the next year too.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"