Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 241

Thread: A Positive View of they Draft

  1. #231
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Weren't we 7-2-1 at one point with all Ben's passing?
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  2. #232
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Running back success rate is a strong predictor of teams that made the playoffs last season. 90% of teams with RB success rates around 50% were in the playoffs. WR success rate was less predictive of playoff bound teams:

    Success Rates: Using success rates to measure efficiency is superior to traditional yards per play (per pass or per rush) because it adds a layer of context to the play: the down and distance to go. Example: a 10 yard run on 3rd and 26 will add 10 yards/carry to a running back's average. But that play resulted in 4th and 16 and thus, an unsuccessful attempt to convert a first down (and graded as an unsuccessful play). Success rate is calculated in this manner: A play is successful when it gains at least 40% of yards-to-go on first down, 60% of yards-to-go on second down and 100% of yards-to-go on third or fourth down.

  3. #233
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The run/pass ratio doesn't generate time of possession, converting first downs is what increases TOP. With so much of the pass game being an extension of the run game you can't really even gauge run/pass ratio.
    I agree the goal is TOP - but I think there's value in having a balanced attack.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  4. #234
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Running back success rate is a strong predictor of teams that made the playoffs last season. 90% of teams with RB success rates around 50% were in the playoffs. WR success rate was less predictive of playoff bound teams:

    Success Rates: Using success rates to measure efficiency is superior to traditional yards per play (per pass or per rush) because it adds a layer of context to the play: the down and distance to go. Example: a 10 yard run on 3rd and 26 will add 10 yards/carry to a running back's average. But that play resulted in 4th and 16 and thus, an unsuccessful attempt to convert a first down (and graded as an unsuccessful play). Success rate is calculated in this manner: A play is successful when it gains at least 40% of yards-to-go on first down, 60% of yards-to-go on second down and 100% of yards-to-go on third or fourth down.
    Cool finding. Thanks
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  5. #235
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I agree the goal is TOP - but I think there's value in having a balanced attack.
    I think you have to be able to do both in order to attack the weaknesses of different teams, but I don't see any particular value in balance.

  6. #236
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I think you have to be able to do both in order to attack the weaknesses of different teams, but I don't see any particular value in balance.
    within the limitations of a single game - perhaps. I agree if an opponent can't defend the pass and you can light them up, go for it. same for if they can't stop the run. But looking at a team through the lens of an entire season, I still believe a balanced offense is an indicator the team is strong in both areas and can exploit any weaknesses of the defense.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  7. #237
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Running back success rate is a strong predictor of teams that made the playoffs last season. 90% of teams with RB success rates around 50% were in the playoffs. WR success rate was less predictive of playoff bound teams:

    Success Rates: Using success rates to measure efficiency is superior to traditional yards per play (per pass or per rush) because it adds a layer of context to the play: the down and distance to go. Example: a 10 yard run on 3rd and 26 will add 10 yards/carry to a running back's average. But that play resulted in 4th and 16 and thus, an unsuccessful attempt to convert a first down (and graded as an unsuccessful play). Success rate is calculated in this manner: A play is successful when it gains at least 40% of yards-to-go on first down, 60% of yards-to-go on second down and 100% of yards-to-go on third or fourth down.
    Outstanding find. Really has me fired up to get our running game going.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  8. #238
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Outstanding find. Really has me fired up to get our running game going.
    Unfortunately, I think we've had below average success rates for several years.

    Hopefully it gets better this season.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  9. #239
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    My sole focus is on the O-line. That's the key to our season.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  10. #240
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    With Ben back I really like how this team is built, O-line is good, QB is good,receviers are good, nice mix of running backs and TE's, defense is really good. This may turn out to be one of our best constructed teams top to bottom.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •