Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: A Positive View of they Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Yes that tendency is all you need to know my friend why you are wrong so very very often when debating me.
    Speaking of which....looks like somebody STILL is trying to defend trying to sign Bell on the other thread.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not saying we lose because we pass.
    What we are saying is that we tend to pass more because we are losing. If we lead the league it ain't good.
    So leading the league in passing isnít good ?

mahomes finished with only 30 less yards and the chiefs had the #1 seed in the afc that year.
    And for a play here or there could have went to the super bowl.

there are many teams that attack with the pass. And with the way the rules are today, thereís nothing wrong that. Weíve seen pass heavy teams with the trophy quite often
    chiefs, colts, saints, Brady teams

Weíve seen teams win the SB in A lot of different Ways. Thereís no set in stone way to do it
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 05-15-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes that tendency is all you need to know my friend why you are wrong so very very often when debating me.
    Ha.. more like I had to get back to work.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    So leading the league in passing isn’t good ?

mahomes finished with only 30 less yards and the chiefs had the #1 seed in the afc that year.
    And for a play here or there could have went to the super bowl.

there are many teams that attack with the pass. And with the way the rules are today, there’s nothing wrong that. We’ve seen pass heavy teams with the trophy quite often
    chiefs, colts, saints, Brady teams

We’ve seen teams win the SB in A lot of different Ways. There’s no set in stone way to do it
    Interesting. Did "I" say anything about the Chiefs? Mahommes? Different teams.

Look at my post again. I used the expression "we" about 5 times.

Let me tell you how "we" have had success.

The most successful teams in with Ben as QB.
    2004 Most wins by a Steeler team ever
    2005 Ben's 1st SB victory
    2008 Ben's 2nd SB victory
    2010 Ben's last SB appearance

What do those teams have in common. Ben under 3500 yards.

Our last playoff is a perfect example. I have defended Ben's performance plenty.

We did not lose "because" of passing. We had record passing numbers because we fell behind.

If we "can" run we will run. If we "can" stop people we will stop people.

If we are capable of doing those things there is no way in green earth Ben leads the league in passing.

In harmony with the original contention, saying he led the league in passing yardage says more about deficiencies elsewhere than it does about Ben's level of play.

His passing "quantity" numbers are not ever an indication of team success.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Speaking of which....looks like somebody STILL is trying to defend trying to sign Bell on the other thread.
    Well.. it’s not like we’ve had more success without him.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Interesting. Did "I" say anything about the Chiefs? Mahommes? Different teams.

Look at my post again. I used the expression "we" about 5 times.

Let me tell you how "we" have had success.

The most successful teams in with Ben as QB.
    2004 Most wins by a Steeler team ever
    2005 Ben's 1st SB victory
    2008 Ben's 2nd SB victory
    2010 Ben's last SB appearance

What do those teams have in common. Ben under 3500 yards.

Our last playoff is a perfect example. I have defended Ben's performance plenty.

We did not lose "because" of passing. We had record passing numbers because we fell behind.

If we "can" run we will run. If we "can" stop people we will stop people.

If we are capable of doing those things there is no way in green earth Ben leads the league in passing.

In harmony with the original contention, saying he led the league in passing yardage says more about deficiencies elsewhere than it does about Ben's level of play.

His passing "quantity" numbers are not ever an indication of team success.
    I’m not going to get into it with you why other teams can be successful passing but the Steelers can’t.
    I don’t think it makes any sense in what you’re trying to say.

but I’ll say this, again. We were not behind “ a lot” and therefore had to pass.
    As was originally contended. It was part of the game plan to attack defebses with the pass

mahomes.again With 30 passing yards less in the year was also not behind in a lot of the games he played in.

people ( not you in particular) are stuck in the yinzers football phase of thinking the stillers or any team need to run the ball first and foremost To be successful

as I’ve shown with the teams I listed, that’s simply not the case anymore

Legend

User Info Menu

Like that Charger game that year in Ben's last full season. We were nicely ahead, at home, at halftime. That game still bothers me. How we kept having linebackers cover Keenan Allen.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Winning doesn't boil down to run/pass ratio, it boils down to first downs and sustained drives.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just want a balanced offense that can do everything well. (who doesn't?)

But if a team is leading the league in passing but can't control the clock or convert a 3rd and 1 - they aren't winning a SB

If a team leads the league in rushing but can't convert a 3rd and 7 - they aren't winning a SB

I think as always the focus should be on good balance, a good ratio of run/pass that leads to greater time of possession and to remember as I paraphrase tomlin - we count lombardis in the trophy case, not rushing titles or passing titles.

I bet Dan Marino or Dan Fouts both with they could have run a little more consistently........
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I just want a balanced offense that can do everything well. (who doesn't?)

But if a team is leading the league in passing but can't control the clock or convert a 3rd and 1 - they aren't winning a SB

If a team leads the league in rushing but can't convert a 3rd and 7 - they aren't winning a SB

I think as always the focus should be on good balance, a good ratio of run/pass that leads to greater time of possession and to remember as I paraphrase tomlin - we count lombardis in the trophy case, not rushing titles or passing titles.

I bet Dan Marino or Dan Fouts both with they could have run a little more consistently........
    The run/pass ratio doesn't generate time of possession, converting first downs is what increases TOP. With so much of the pass game being an extension of the run game you can't really even gauge run/pass ratio.