Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Positive View of they Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

A Positive View of the Draft

I know it is an anathema to several posters on this board but lets try to take a positive view of the draft and assume our leadership knows what they are doing. To that point:

Round 1: Guaranteed Pro Bowl Safety. Yes guaranteed because MF made it already
    Round 2: A WR like no one we have ever had. Clearly giving Ben every possible weapon for the stretch run of his career. Guy will be a match up nightmare. Great pick
    Round 3: Pass rusher oozing potential. Also need given Chickilo left and Bud may be a one year rental. Highsmith will push Bud who is in another contract prove it year to prove 2019 wasn't a fluke. Highsmith caused fits for the National Championship players at Clemson. He has the goods. Excellent pick.
    Round 4: McFarland. A RB like no one else we have. Combinations of speed, burst and power in a small package. I watched what he did against the NFL caliber players on the Ohio State defense and he ate them up behind a off line that wasn't that good. Love this pick
    Round 4b: Dotson. An offensive lineman who is probably more talented than the guy who just retired after holding that position for 10 years. Big and mean. Don't be surprised if he pushes for playing time this year and starts in year 2. Very good pick.
    Round 6: Brooks. A Safety drafted to be depth and third man in not a starter. Hits hard. Not great in coverage but not terrible and keep in mind he is the third guy. Above average pick.
    Round 7: Davis. Big body in the middle of the DL. Not brought in to be a starter but depth as part of a rotation. Time will tell pick

Overall, I give this draft a B+ because we already have a Pro Bowl Safety out of it. I also think Claypool will be special. Highsmith and Dotson will be starters eventually.

Not all the players I wanted but the ones who are now Steelers so I choose to be behind them 100% as some will want them to fail to make a point.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 04-26-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Agreed.
    I just can't figure out how every one of our drafts are great, but we can't win anything.
    Throw in our awesome FA moves, incredible trades and superior HC, and it really doesn't make any sense.
    AND all the other teams trades, drafts, FAs, coaches and front offices are jokes.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I love this draft and I am not even including Fitz... they got they wanted out of this draft

playmaker touchdown makers

depth
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Actually. 1st team all pro safety in 2019.
    much bigger accomplishment then pro bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Actually. 1st team all pro safety in 2019.
    much bigger accomplishment then pro bowl
    Just confirms it was well played by the team

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still think that Highsmith will end up at ILB. He can back up VW as well.

We'll se what transpires this summer and at camp
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post

I saw him play with his hand on the ground at DE and in 2 pt stance olb but I didn't see him used inside. Was he doing that as well ? Not saying he can't just that he has such a good first step I want him as an olb.
    One thing I'll say he'll need to set the edge better. In the Clemson game , and he played well there , he wasn't stout in setting the edge well enough. So he'll need to get better in that aspect.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post

I read an article yesterday where Tomlin was quoted telling highsmith that they liked his pass rush stuff and basically that he would be developed for that position.
    Not one hint that he would be moved.
    Highsmith gave an honest interview and he never seemed to think he might be tried out elsewhere. He never said that he is willing to switch positions.
    It really doesn't make any sense to only draft 1 olb type with the intentions on moving him to ilb without having a plan when bud leaves.
    It seems like it is definitely a security plan at ilb. Even if bud doesn't leave.
    There also was several true ilb available to draft that could help this year and not have to learn the position.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not sure what you guys are seeing from Highsmith here.... looks like Jarvis2.0:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ovie I agree with that write up whole heartedly. I thinks Brooks ends up more of a backer than S. This draft had a different feel to it to me than past drafts. Not sure if it was the lack of picks or what. I think Tomlin had more input on this draft than normal. I think Colbert is weaning himself off as his tenure is directly related to Ben's. Past years I'd say it was probably 65% Colbert and 35% Tomlin. I think that may have flipped this year.