Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers select OLB Alex Highsmith in Round 3

Legend

User Info Menu

Another nice write up about him, with high praise from Dabo Swinney....

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/evaluating-the-value-olb-alex-highsmith/

Evaluating The Value: OLB Alex Highsmith

By Tom Mead Posted on April 25, 2020 at 12:59 am

There were hints before the draft about the EDGE position being something they would address early and with their second pick the Steelers bring in a small school pass rusher. Behind starters T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree they have unproven depth with Ola Adeniyi and Tuzar Skipper so adding another player was prudent move.

The former walk on put up impressive numbers with 46 tackles for a loss and 20 sacks in his career including 15 sacks in 2019. The Steelers had contact with him prior to the draft which showed their interest. At the Combine he was one of only eight defensive lineman to register a 10 yard split under 1.70 seconds , had the a 33 inch vertical and was tops in his group in the short shuttle(4.31).

After facing off against his team Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney had some positives to say about Highsmith including, “He’s on all the ‘great player’ lists. I kept watching him and going, ‘Holy cow.’ He looks like Xavier Thomas. He’s physical, fast, disruptive. He’s causing sacks and tips. Really, really good football player. That No. 5 could play for anybody in the country.”

As far as where Highsmith was drafted it seemed a bit early based on where the experts saw his value.

The NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah did not have him listed on his Top 150.

Gil Brandt also did not have him listed in his hot 150.

Lance Zieirlein of NFL.com gave him a 5.99 grade (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/alex-highsmith?id=32194849-4759-5832-21ce-07274900b330) (6.00 Developmental traits-based prospect) and had this to say, “Stand-up edge rusher with splashy production to get him noticed by 3-4 fronts. Highsmith is quick to diagnose and slip blocks to make plays in the backfield, but lacks the strength and anchor to take on blocks and set strong edges. He’s clearly put in work when it comes to creating a diverse inside/outside rush attack that has a chance to keep growing if he can weaponize his hands and improve his speed-to-power attack. His play is more finesse than physical and may not be ready for early downs in the NFL. He currently projects as an NFL backup but his ascending play and production could push him into a bigger role if he can get bigger and stronger.”

Our Josh Carney described him (https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-player-profiles-charlotte-edge-alex-highsmith/) as having a rocked up frame that is an instinctive run defender and a good pass rush plan. He gave him and early day 3 grade and concluded, “Overall, I really like the overall body of work and traits Highsmith has to work with. He has the right height and weight, good power, and the right mentality to thrive on the edge. I am a bit concerned with his short arms and the amount of production he had against small schools, but he’s definitely worth a flier early on Day 3, and good develop into a solid rotational pass rusher.”

Overall: This is a solid value pick for the Steelers. There were some other bigger names available including Bradlee Anae and Curtis Weaver but it’s clear now Highsmith must have impressed the Steelers during their interactions.

The value grade could’ve been higher but it’s a bit disconcerting he wasn’t on the top 150 lists but Zierlein did give him a positive review. Carney however had where he was going to be drafted pretty much pegged and Alex Kozora nearly had him at pick 102 in his final mock. It fills a need to provide depth at the position but choosing a small school player in a year like this does have some risk.
    We did draft Timmons to play ILB from the position of DE once upon a time. HMMMM?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    BTSC gives the pick an A grade.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/4/25/21235633/2020-nfl-draft-grading-pittsburgh-steelers-selection-of-olb-alex-highsmith-charlotte-round-3-news

Was he projected as a Steelers player because he's a "Project" type player? Or was he projected as a Steelers type because he excels and wins? I guess we will find out.
    I saw it on many sites, saying how much the Steelers loved him. I was think they would somewhere in the 4th. At 102, the 6th pick in the 4th ( if there were no comp placements) they ran to the podium not to miss out on him.

What I am curious about, If Harrison fell to them, who would they of picked 1st...
    But seems like other options at ILB, Weaver, Dye, Davis-Gathers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Highsmith was a great pick at 102. Kid has what it takes to be very good. Keep in mind it was the 102nd pick. Love Highsmith's upside and it is clear that the Front Office is taking a balanced approach going forward.

Claypool helps now! probably on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

Highsmith helps in the future. Pushes Bud to have a great season because he now knows he is probably going to be a free agent after 2020 and needs to show 2019 wasn't a fluke.

Really like how this draft is playing out for us.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If anyone cared to read the interview with Colbert he said his picks are based on what he believes the team will look like at the end of next season.
    What they did yesterday speaks volumes on their future direction.

Don't forget Colbert's knack for finding serviceable free agents.

Not over yet
    Intresting, then LT and ILb should becoming...

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't really follow college football, but I do think that comparing actual draft position to posted publicly available draft boards is less relevant this year than in previous years (where it also probably doesn't matter too much after the first round or so).

There was way less information for both "gurus" and teams this year so all boards are probably worse than usual (or teams probably leaned harder to particular biases...like our "hearts and smarts").

I also think the downside of drafting a "project" is less this year than ever before. We probably won't have many off season activities (e.g. rookie camp, mini camp, etc) so I think it will be really hard for rookies (and to a lesser extent UFAs) to come in and contribute early.

Looks to me like we might be trying to mitigate that by getting guys that could play in sub packages with very defined roles so they don't need to know too much. Claypool can be used as a one trick pony running deep (think Bryant) and Highsmith can get the rookie year Woodley treatment where he rushes the passer every time he's on the field.

Also looks like we've drafted guys that will help on ST.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Highsmith was a great pick at 102. Kid has what it takes to be very good. Keep in mind it was the 102nd pick. Love Highsmith's upside and it is clear that the Front Office is taking a balanced approach going forward.

Claypool helps now! probably on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

Highsmith helps in the future. Pushes Bud to have a great season because he now knows he is probably going to be a free agent after 2020 and needs to show 2019 wasn't a fluke.

Really like how this draft is playing out for us.
    I don't recall him being in your Steeler type list.
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's a good read on him -

https://charlotte49ers.com/sports/football/roster/alex-highsmith/6179?fbclid=IwAR2OCtCdFoqngZQgOGMs6Uom1LBZ91aWFmCP 8RT1Shah2M6Y6tWNcO-fPOo
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Yep, that's kinda what I was thinking, he hits hard and with that speed, put him in the middle with Bush and let him run sideline to sideline. Those two together would make a RB's day very long.
    I would love it if he got VW out the line up.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    How would you know, how much advanced scouting have you done on these guys in the draft, the current cap, and future plans of the team? Seems like the guys making the decisions have access to a lot more info than you do, probably why they are in a position to make these decisions for one of the most successful franchises in football.
    Uuuuuh... these are the same guys who also wasted a high pick on Washington. Because that’s exactly what it is now with the selection of Claypool. All I’m saying is that as good as Colbert is ( top 5 GM in the league) he does make mistakes (Jarvis Jones).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Uuuuuh... these are the same guys who also wasted a high pick on Washington. Because that’s exactly what it is now with the selection of Claypool.
    glad to see you don't like the pick, this means Claypool will end up being a very good selection...