Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Colbert requests 3 extra rounds in draft

  1. #1
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Colbert requests 3 extra rounds in draft

    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/07/report-kevin-colbert-suggests-three-more-rounds-of-2020-draft/

    It actually makes sense, especially when considering face-to-face meetings with prospects (including UDFAs) won't be happening.

    And it used to be 12 rounds some years back (and even more before so). We got some gems in round 12 (I think LC Greenwood).

    Unusual times call for some unusual measures.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I'm not sure how this helps. If you didn't get to meet guys to do a 7 round draft, how does 10 rounds help that?
    Just sign them as a udfa.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm not sure how this helps. If you didn't get to meet guys to do a 7 round draft, how does 10 rounds help that?
    Just sign them as a udfa.
    was kinda thinking the same.... "UDFA is still an option, right? I don't think KC thought this one through and he looks like a guy who doesn't have a 1st round pick and is desperate for more chances."
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

    2021 Mock Draft
    1. Jamie Newman, QB, UGA
    2. Jabril Cox, ILB, LSU

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    was kinda thinking the same.... "UDFA is still an option, right? I don't think KC thought this one through and he looks like a guy who doesn't have a 1st round pick and is desperate for more chances."
    He does look desperate; And I don't want that look for him.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    was kinda thinking the same.... "UDFA is still an option, right? I don't think KC thought this one through and he looks like a guy who doesn't have a 1st round pick and is desperate for more chances."
    Agreed.
    I made a comment about the low number of players they interviewed at the combine when they had the chance.
    Seems like I had heard that they say they have 95% of what they need on film.
    I'm sure they work the phones pretty hard (or they should be) getting reference checks from ex coaches, family, friends ect.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  6. #6
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm not sure how this helps. If you didn't get to meet guys to do a 7 round draft, how does 10 rounds help that?
    Just sign them as a udfa.
    Signing UDFA usually requires more travel and face-to-face meetings, right? I think he's saying they need 3 more rounds because room for error increases under current conditions? I am fine with it.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    UDFA is a 2 way street. Drafting a guy is a 1 way street. Of course he wants more picks. More late round picks mean more swings at finding a gem.





  8. #8
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    UDFA is a 2 way street. Drafting a guy is a 1 way street. Of course he wants more picks. More late round picks mean more swings at finding a gem.
    And, the player - as you said - has no choice of where he is going, if drafted. Makes it easier I think, for teams. Maybe KC's point is they need it to be made a little easier considering all the other unusual factors involved.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Signing UDFA usually requires more travel and face-to-face meetings, right? I think he's saying they need 3 more rounds because room for error increases under current conditions? I am fine with it.
    I don't think so.
    I assume all udfa are signed over the phone.
    Guys they liked thru visits etc., but not enough to draft.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    And, the player - as you said - has no choice of where he is going, if drafted. Makes it easier I think, for teams. Maybe KC's point is they need it to be made a little easier considering all the other unusual factors involved.
    If a player doesn't want to be on a certain team than drafting them is more of a waste.
    At least a udfa can be honest and tell the team no to thanks.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •