Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colbert requests 3 extra rounds in draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Signing UDFA usually requires more travel and face-to-face meetings, right? I think he's saying they need 3 more rounds because room for error increases under current conditions? I am fine with it.
    I like that. They should let Colbert have his way.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The reason he want extra rounds in the draft is because there are limited resources ( draft room staff) to rush and a agree to sign all the UDFA that they have intrest in.

Usually after the draft the phone lines are busy trying to sign option a, b, c, d, etc...

good take here on yesterdays "the drive" ( I am hooked on that, I just started listening to it for a month or so..) discusing it ....
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    The reason he want extra rounds in the draft is because there are limited resources ( draft room staff) to rush and a agree to sign all the UDFA that they have intrest in.

Usually after the draft the phone lines are busy trying to sign option a, b, c, d, etc...

good take here on yesterdays "the drive" ( I am hooked on that, I just started listening to it for a month or so..) discusing it ....
    True but all the teams are in same situation.
    Seems like the ones that did their homework would be ahead of the game.
    Just seems odd that he's the only gm asking for this.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    True but all the teams are in same situation.
    Seems like the ones that did their homework would be ahead of the game.
    All teams are in the same situation..but i like the idea of locking up a few extra guys without having to scramble against other teams to get them after the draft.
    If Colbert has some gems late, he can just claim them without fighting against their agents on bidding wars with other teams.
    I hope the league listens to Colbert.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    All teams are in the same situation..but i like the idea of locking up a few extra guys without having to scramble against other teams to get them after the draft.
    If Colbert has some gems late, he can just claim them without fighting against their agents on bidding wars with other teams.
    I hope the league listens to Colbert.
    It works both ways tho. Maybe those guys he wants, get drafted in those extra rounds by other teams where they would have been available to sign as udfa.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I guess I left some information off my post, about what was said on "the drive."

It was reported by some NY newspaper reporter, who is someone is discredited in the reporting circles.

Also that it would never ever pass by the Player Assoc.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Backup

User Info Menu

If you think about those 7th round picks, they are kind of ones you want to consider carefully. For instance, if your sitting there at pick 231 and you see a guy that's dropped (he was considered a 3rd-5th rounder by most before the draft) for some reason, do you pick him up, even if his position isn't one of need, or do you pick that guy that you think is probably a UDFA but you don't want to bid for him? Sometimes the UDFA's get larger signing bonuses than guys that were actually picked. Although they sometimes get thrown around like money at the concession stand, 7th round picks have some value because it allows you to get a player before the bidding begins. (I know, I know, many 7th rounders, UDFAs don't make it but we've had some gems there through the years).

I'd be happy as hell with "3 more 7th rounders" this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    I'd be happy as hell with "3 more 7th rounders" this year.
    I'll take another Dick Hoak, David Little, Kelvin Beachum or Brett Keisel

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=SteelerMaine83;793890).

I'd be happy as hell with "3 more 7th rounders" this year.[/QUOTE]

Many teams have multiple 7's this year including Miami who have 3. We have talked at length about trading back this year perhaps it would be a small move like trading back for multiple 7's. You just never know when a dance partner will appear for a move like that. I know it's few and far between when we make big draft day trades but we were bold a year ago with Bush. This would seem the year to go back n grab a few extra selections. Perhaps a few extra" late" selections so not a big move not a sexy move but a volume move even if it's 7th round talent.