Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepare now for the future

Backup

User Info Menu

Prepare now for the future

This offseason so far has been surprisingly good despite our salary cap issues. In the future ('21, '22) things get much rosier, although not a lot of players are signed/on our roster right now beyond 2021. So, here's some thoughts I have now to prepare us best for a run the next two years (which all depends on Ben's health/production the next two years--face it) and keep a good core for the next Steeler's QB.

So, first, I'll lock up some guys a little longer with contracts that allow us to get out after a few years at little cost against the cap (net cap savings), which will make room for a few more moves.

Cam Heyward--extend him for 4 years/$52M/12M signing bonus. Allows him to get really good money that first year and allows. He still is one of the best and he's a great leader. Will save us $3M in cap this year. His actual salary this year will be based on how much cap space we think we will need to make some small moves/pay rookies/slush fund/etc.

Bud Dupree--he's a bit riskier, but I'm looking at 3 years/$51M/16.5M signing bonus. With a $5.5/$11/$18M annual split, he's only counting $11M this year although he'll pocket $22M. At year two we can dump him at a wash on the cap, year three a $12.5M cap savings. We're paying him this year anyway, but this contract saves us $5M+ this year without a lot of future risk, especially with our cap room in the future. If he produces, we'll keep him around and won't have the immediate pressure to replace him.

Matt Feiler--he's a starter either way, at RT or LG. Good, strong, solid OL. I'd lock him up for 4 years somewhere between $24-28M (go low first!). Having him locked up long term means we don't have a little more flexibility in the draft during the next two years regarding the OL.

Sign Tedric Thompson-S. He is 25, has NFL experience as a starter for Seattle (he has had some injury history), but his cost/their needs didn't fit, so even though his salary wasn't too high (just over 2M) he was cut (they have to add to the pile for Clowney). He would be our 3rd best S (maybe even our second!?) and a backup for both spots on day one. It could be a modest 1 year prove-it deal, or something a little longer with low risk if we really like him. Keeps S from being as big a need this year. I say 2 years, $4.5M with a $1M signing bonus. Since he was cut he doesn't even count against the Supplemental formula.

So then, we approach the draft without dire needs to do anything out of desperation.

The draft: if I can't get Baun, Ruiz or Cushenberry at #49 I'd trade down with Green Bay, who's not in our conference I may have a big need to move up to get a specific player. Looking at the trade-value charts, I give them our 2(49) and one of next year's 7's (the one from the Wormley deal) for this years 2(62), 3(94) and 7 (242). In this draft, talent from 40-140 is really in the eyes of the beholder anyway, but there is some nice talent. My decision at 49 was also not to take a RB, QB, WR or TE, pretty much no matter who was available. That will be hard not to do as some good players in those groups will be available then.

I also make one more trade, trading 2021 4th to Miami for their 5th this year (the one they got from us, anyway). We will have at least two Supplemental picks next year (likely one of them a 4th--for Hargrave) so this doesn't hurt us much, and this is a deep draft at some positions.

So, trades done:

2(62)--R. Hunt-G/T: OMG, this guy has a big helping of nasty. Watch his film. Road-grader to replace Foster; could move to OT in a pinch but he'll be gold at OG in a few years. Immediate starter that will help the run game, and Feiler can stay at RT.

3(94)--D. Hamilton-DT: He's really a pretty comparable replacement for Hargrave, and he'd probably get a lot of run down snaps at NT as a rookie. Great motor, and Heyward will take this young Buckeye under his wing.

3(102)--M. Hennesey-C/G: He's Pouncey's future replacement in a year or two.

4(124)--A. Robertson-CB: Small-school stud nickel back. Has ball skills, likes to tackle and is hyper-aggressive. Plays bigger than his size, he will replace Hilton after sitting behind him for a year.

4(135)--K. Hudson-ILB/S: Good athlete to play the Barron role and give Bush (who'll get lots more snaps this year) a breather now and then.

5(154)--D. Tuszka-OLB: Strong, tough, awesome motor. Will be a ST demon and more than fill Chickillo's shoes as the backup to both OLBs. Could be a future starter if Bud was a one year wonder.

6(19--D. Mooney-WR: Small, very fast WR prospect. Guy much like the KC receivers with that speed to burn you on any play.

7(232)--A. Pechin-P: Yeah, a punter. Berry was really pretty good last year until December, when he was flat out awful. Pechin is from Bucknell and is used to kicking in PA weather. Only reason to choose him now is that I don't want to compete for him as an UDFA. That's what 7th rounders are for

7(242)--D. Bituli-ILB: A downhill backup for Vince that is much more Matakevich than Barron.

This plan gives us a few years at a few key positions with Heyward, Dupree & Feiler, adds some depth before the draft, and gives us some rookies that will contribute this year and likely help big time in the long haul. Wouldn't have minded getting an RB but with Ben, OL help this year I'll let our group of RBs have their own survival of the fittest. With some of the cap room we created with the longer signings, we could even pull in a vet as a cheap one year prove-it.

Thoughts?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Great Job...

I love people who put thought and effort into this board.

I want a trade back like that!

But you dont a player early to replace another player on roster in 2 year time, tjhey even rarely do that with QBs. Hennessy... he is going to be good, but useless sitting behind Pouncey. I don't even think he can play guard, so even on game day won't dress. See value else where.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    This offseason so far has been surprisingly good despite our salary cap issues. In the future ('21, '22) things get much rosier, although not a lot of players are signed/on our roster right now beyond 2021. So, here's some thoughts I have now to prepare us best for a run the next two years (which all depends on Ben's health/production the next two years--face it) and keep a good core for the next Steeler's QB.

So, first, I'll lock up some guys a little longer with contracts that allow us to get out after a few years at little cost against the cap (net cap savings), which will make room for a few more moves.

Cam Heyward--extend him for 4 years/$52M/12M signing bonus. Allows him to get really good money that first year and allows. He still is one of the best and he's a great leader. Will save us $3M in cap this year. His actual salary this year will be based on how much cap space we think we will need to make some small moves/pay rookies/slush fund/etc.

Bud Dupree--he's a bit riskier, but I'm looking at 3 years/$51M/16.5M signing bonus. With a $5.5/$11/$18M annual split, he's only counting $11M this year although he'll pocket $22M. At year two we can dump him at a wash on the cap, year three a $12.5M cap savings. We're paying him this year anyway, but this contract saves us $5M+ this year without a lot of future risk, especially with our cap room in the future. If he produces, we'll keep him around and won't have the immediate pressure to replace him.

Matt Feiler--he's a starter either way, at RT or LG. Good, strong, solid OL. I'd lock him up for 4 years somewhere between $24-28M (go low first!). Having him locked up long term means we don't have a little more flexibility in the draft during the next two years regarding the OL.

Sign Tedric Thompson-S. He is 25, has NFL experience as a starter for Seattle (he has had some injury history), but his cost/their needs didn't fit, so even though his salary wasn't too high (just over 2M) he was cut (they have to add to the pile for Clowney). He would be our 3rd best S (maybe even our second!?) and a backup for both spots on day one. It could be a modest 1 year prove-it deal, or something a little longer with low risk if we really like him. Keeps S from being as big a need this year. I say 2 years, $4.5M with a $1M signing bonus. Since he was cut he doesn't even count against the Supplemental formula.

So then, we approach the draft without dire needs to do anything out of desperation.

The draft: if I can't get Baun, Ruiz or Cushenberry at #49 I'd trade down with Green Bay, who's not in our conference I may have a big need to move up to get a specific player. Looking at the trade-value charts, I give them our 2(49) and one of next year's 7's (the one from the Wormley deal) for this years 2(62), 3(94) and 7 (242). In this draft, talent from 40-140 is really in the eyes of the beholder anyway, but there is some nice talent. My decision at 49 was also not to take a RB, QB, WR or TE, pretty much no matter who was available. That will be hard not to do as some good players in those groups will be available then.

I also make one more trade, trading 2021 4th to Miami for their 5th this year (the one they got from us, anyway). We will have at least two Supplemental picks next year (likely one of them a 4th--for Hargrave) so this doesn't hurt us much, and this is a deep draft at some positions.

So, trades done:

2(62)--R. Hunt-G/T: OMG, this guy has a big helping of nasty. Watch his film. Road-grader to replace Foster; could move to OT in a pinch but he'll be gold at OG in a few years. Immediate starter that will help the run game, and Feiler can stay at RT.

3(94)--D. Hamilton-DT: He's really a pretty comparable replacement for Hargrave, and he'd probably get a lot of run down snaps at NT as a rookie. Great motor, and Heyward will take this young Buckeye under his wing.

4(124)--A. Robertson-CB: Small-school stud nickel back. Has ball skills, likes to tackle and is hyper-aggressive. Plays bigger than his size, he will replace Hilton after sitting behind him for a year.

4(135)--K. Hudson-ILB/S: Good athlete to play the Barron role and give Bush (who'll get lots more snaps this year) a breather now and then.

5(154)--D. Tuszka-OLB: Strong, tough, awesome motor. Will be a ST demon and more than fill Chickillo's shoes as the backup to both OLBs. Could be a future starter if Bud was a one year wonder.

6(19--D. Mooney-WR: Small, very fast WR prospect. Guy much like the KC receivers with that speed to burn you on any play.

7(232)--A. Pechin-P: Yeah, a punter. Berry was really pretty good last year until December, when he was flat out awful. Pechin is from Bucknell and is used to kicking in PA weather. Only reason to choose him now is that I don't want to compete for him as an UDFA. That's what 7th rounders are for

7(242)--D. Bituli-ILB: A downhill backup for Vince that is much more Matakevich than Barron.

This plan gives us a few years at a few key positions with Heyward, Dupree & Feiler, adds some depth before the draft, and gives us some rookies that will contribute this year and likely help big time in the long haul. Wouldn't have minded getting an RB but with Ben, OL help this year I'll let our group of RBs have their own survival of the fittest. With some of the cap room we created with the longer signings, we could even pull in a vet as a cheap one year prove-it.

Thoughts?
    Great job. Much appreciated to see effort for aiding discussion versus complaining.

If things worked out your way that would be great.

Backup

User Info Menu

Definitely see what you’re saying about Hennesey and the two year plan. I really thought that pick over a lot, but in the end I liked getting Hennesey and really would prefer him to replace Pouncey in one year, not two. Probably not realistic. I could see us maybe going WR or RB there, too as there will be a few attractive options then.

I did try to make it a Steeler type draft-lots of tough nasty football players that will keep that chip on our shoulder.

Backup

User Info Menu

What is didnít mention for the future part is that my 2021 1st rounder will be a QB that gets to sit and watch Ben for a year. This plan was one way to cover some holes for a few years so that we donít have that strong need to fill a position (other than QB) with that 2021 first pick. Remember the name Jamie Martin...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good thread by the way and trade back in the 2nd I agree is the way to go.

Now I did look at the Appalachian St game and Georgia Southern and Hunt did well but that level of comp is difficult to evaluate against. Also Hunt is playing RT n now he projects to jump inside. Well you know Steelers like versatility ( Steeler type of guy) but he does some things well and others not so well.
    Positive - his initial punch is good. Stays on his feet. Moves his feet well enough in pass pro. They ran counter power a bunch and he was able to pull n get a decent kick out block more often then not. Lewis Qb is a scrambler n he was able to keep his head on a swivel n continue to block on extended plays. Once he locks on he stays on.
    Negative- he bends at the waist to much. Gets that weight out in front n that tech must change at the next level or he'll get leveraged right to the bench. His get off could be quicker. IOL is all about setting angles and his feet will need to work a bit quicker at this level or he'll get out positioned. He's a big boy against Georgia Southern but inside against the Ravens who have 2 dt's both about 335-340 that is another ball game.

Hunts good but if a player like Wilson was available late 2nd I would take the kid from Georgia.

Backup

User Info Menu

Wilson was also one of the OL I privately debated for that pick. If they got either, Iíd be happy because both will be good lineman early in their careers. Neither has much subtlety in their game, and I like that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So, trades done:

Thoughts?
    How do you know all these players?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    How do you know all these players?
    Just my hobby. I have a science background and an analytical mind, love football. Makes me a natural ďdraftnik ď.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just my hobby. I have a science background and an analytical mind, love football. Makes me a natural “draftnik “.
    Nice...Keep it up