Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitz eyeing DPOY for 2020

Legend

User Info Menu

Fitz eyeing DPOY for 2020

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-minkah-fitzpatrick-explains-why-a-different-type-of-system-could-lead-to-top-defender-honors/

I prefer players to let their play do their talking, but Fitz after an actual camp with Pgh (if they have one) could be a real force. He did what he did last year with no familiarity to the system. What a difference he made.

Our secondary could be a strength after years of being a sieve. I pray to God one of the young guys (Sutton, Layne or a rookie) ends up being a legit play maker.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope our players are eyeing a Super Bowl title more than they are individual awards.
    2024 Mock Draft 3.0

Trade back for an extra 2nd round pick
    1) Graham Barton, C/OT, Duke
    2a) Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
    2b) Luke Ohorhorro, DL, Clemson
    3) Kiran Amegadje, OT, Yale
    4) Jayden Hicks, S, Washington St
    6a) Khristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa
    6b) Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I hope our players are eyeing a Super Bowl title more than they are individual awards.
    100% agree. I hate when any Steeler chirps off. Be mad confident in your goals, but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Look how that did for the Browns last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Didn't one of our wrs say that wanted pro bowl?
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Backup

User Info Menu

When a Steelers player has won DPOY 1/3 of the time they won the superbowl?

Legend

User Info Menu

Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick willing to take on bigger role in Steelers defense

JOE RUTTER | Tuesday, May 26, 2020

In 14 games with the Pittsburgh Steelers last season, Minkah Fitzpatrick tied for the team lead with five interceptions, was selected to the Pro Bowl and became the team’s first defensive back to be named first-team All-Pro since Troy Polamalu in 2011.

As an encore, Fitzpatrick would like to bring more to the defense in 2020, his first full season with the team that acquired him at the expense of a first-round draft pick.

He believes it is possible as long as the Steelers coaching staff, opposing quarterbacks and the up-in-the-air schedule allow him to do it.

After playing mostly free safety after his acquisition from the Miami Dolphins, Fitzpatrick is open to filling other roles on the defense, whether lining up in the box, playing cornerback in slot or being given the freedom to roam that Polamalu enjoyed a decade earlier.

He also is content trying to improve at a singular position as he enters his third NFL season.

“If the coaches want me to move around, I’ll move around,” Fitzpatrick said Tuesday on a video conference call.

“If they don’t, then I don’t need to. I wouldn’t say it’s a goal. If they need me to move around, I’ll learn the system and get it down to a ‘T’ just in case I have to or if they ask me to move.”

Fitzpatrick was plenty dangerous during his indoctrination to the Steelers defense last year. He tied cornerback Joe Haden for the team lead with five interceptions. He defended nine passes, forced one fumble and recovered two more.

Altogether, Fitzpatrick was involved in eight of the Steelers’ 37 takeaways, with both totals representing NFL highs. He had a 96-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Indianapolis Colts and a 43-yard fumble return for a score a week later against the Los Angeles Rams. Both plays were pivotal in games the Steelers won by two and five points, respectively.

With Fitzpatrick binding the defense together on the back end, the Steelers finished third in the NFL against the pass and fifth in total defense. According to Pro Football Focus, Fitzpatrick allowed eight catches on 16 targets and held quarterbacks to a 27.3 passer rating, the best figure from Week 3 until the end of the season.

Still, after that fumble return against the Rams, Fitzpatrick got his hands on the ball just twice in the final seven games: a deflected pass against Cleveland and a fumble recovery at Cincinnati.

“I think teams started to take less shots downfield or less shots where I was,” Fitzpatrick said. “If I was in the half (field), there weren’t going to be targets in that area where I was. I don’t know if it was part of a gameplan or the makeup of the quarterback, but I did realize a difference.”

Fitzpatrick was asked if there is a countermeasure the Steelers can use in 2020 so opposing offenses can’t minimize the 23-year-old’s impact on the game. Unless Fitzpatrick is used at other spots on defense, it might be difficult to do.

“There’s not too much I can do,” Fitzpatrick said. “Me and (strong safety) Terrell (Edmunds) can move around and switch roles. Schematically, it’s all up to the coaches. If they want to move me somewhere else, they’ll do that. Or if they want me to do something I don’t normally do on a specific play or a specific down and distances, I’ll do it.

“It’s up to the coaches.”

As much as Fitzpatrick is infinitely more familiar with the Steelers playbook now that he has an offseason to study it, it remains to be seen when he will get to show off his knowledge on the field. Organized team activities, which were scheduled to start Tuesday, are being held on a virtual basis, much like earlier phases of the NFL offseason program. It might not be until training camp — whenever that begins — until players can start implementing the knowledge they have learned in the virtual setting.

“The only concern for me is the chemistry part,” Fitzpatrick said. “We have to find ways to make it happen. I’m a very self-motivated type of guy. It’s not too big of a deal. It’s not hard for me. I’m working as hard if not harder as I would be if I were at the facility. I’m doing everything I can to stay in shape.

“When I get back, I want to make sure I hit the ground running.”

https://triblive.com/sports/safety-m...elers-defense/

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll take a player talking about wanting to be the best over a complainer

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    X2.................

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course, me too.

Still, I hope our players are more focused on a Super Bowl title than on individual awards. Don't have to be a complainer to do that.

Legend

User Info Menu

You mean those are your only two choices? You either have to spout off or complain? No other options? Which one of those did Troy Polamalu do?