Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitz eyeing DPOY for 2020

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Of course, me too.

Still, I hope our players are more focused on a Super Bowl title than on individual awards. Don't have to be a complainer to do that.
    It's not about individual awards.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    It's not about individual awards.
    no, it's not.

but if Fitzpatrick plays well enough to be a DPOY candidate it will help the Steelers to win more games, nothing wrong with that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Striving to be DPOY doesn't take away from the team, it only helps the team. I would hope every defensive player wants to be the best at his job and every offensive player wants to be the best at their job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Striving to be DPOY doesn't take away from the team, it only helps the team. I would hope every defensive player wants to be the best at his job and every offensive player wants to be the best at their job.
    I agree 100%

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I would hope every defensive player wants to be the best at his job and every offensive player wants to be the best at their job.
    Of course. I don't think anyone on here would disagree with that.

But concern for TEAM success needs to come ahead of concern for INDIVIDUAL accolades and honors. I'm pretty sure that's what Tomlin would be telling his players.

Let's say season A, we had the defensive MVP, the offensive MVP, the rookie of the year, and the coach of the year, but fell short of the Super Bowl ... and season B, we had no individual award winners but came away with a Super Bowl victory ... which season would be better? I'd say season B. The #1 goal is to win the Lombardi. All the other awards fall under that one.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-28-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course. I don't think anyone on here would disagree with that.

But concern for TEAM success needs to come ahead of concern for INDIVIDUAL accolades and honors. I'm pretty sure that's what Tomlin would be telling his players.
    On offense we know that can be a problem, but on defense I can't seen how an individual excelling to be the best can be a bad thing for the team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Of course, me too.

Still, I hope our players are more focused on a Super Bowl title than on individual awards. Don't have to be a complainer to do that.
    if he is striving to be DPOY it means he is making a ton of plays for us.

This isnít like basketball where you go for a scoring title while not giving a damn about defense.

Always thought the Tomlin quote towards FWP was garbage.

If individual accolades donít matter why the hell do we have a team MVP every year?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    On offense we know that can be a problem, but on defense I can't seen how an individual excelling to be the best can be a bad thing for the team.
    its only a problem if you pout when you don’t get the ball.

If you want to be offensive player of the year and put up great stats I don’t see the issue.

Everyone wants to do well at their position.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Agreed. Great play worthy of DPOY is inherently good for the TEAM. Is he supposed to unselfishly NOT make plays on defense so others get a chance?

As others have noted, pouting offensive players CAN hurt the team.

MVP defensive level play is the ultimate individual contribution to team success.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-29-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    if he is striving to be DPOY it means he is making a ton of plays for us.

This isn’t like basketball where you go for a scoring title while not giving a damn about defense.

Always thought the Tomlin quote towards FWP was garbage.

If individual accolades don’t matter why the hell do we have a team MVP every year?
    Speaking of BB, recall when someone.said their is no I in "team", Jordan said there is an I in "winner".

Funny thing when you look at last dance Jordan was FUELED to beat Barkley and Malone because he wanted to show HE was the real MVP.

Jordan wanted and pursued MVP every year.

Striving to prove himself the best individually, fueled his passion the WIN for the team as winning is a reflection of his success.

This kid wants to "be like Mike"?

I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-29-2020 at 04:18 PM.