Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft RB Prospects fits in 2020

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Draft RB Prospects fits in 2020

After listening to "The Drive" yesterday, Matt Williams asked Dale Lolley, how does he see a RB ( Dobbins) fitting in with Conner in 2020. They went on to say 50/50 backfield with Conner as 3r back, Samuels man out. With 17 game seasons looming I think that is the future at RB, either 1-2 punch or a RBC, but let's stick to 2020 and these 3 RB- Dobbins, Akers, CEH. ( I won't consider the fumbler, Taylor, hope he goes early!)

Williams also went on to say something that I like, he said when you draft for a RB or set up your RB position, you should have your #1 and #3 similiar players, and your #2 change of back different style. You want #2 to keep doing what he does ( maybe more snaps, but not featured) and have # 3 fill in style as #1 did. I think we did this last year with Conner, Samuels, and Snell, only problem was Samuels isn't a RB, and Snell was too green in pass protection.

Would Akers, or CEH also command 50/50 of the plays? ( I won't consider the fumbler, Taylor, hope he goes early!)

Who would fit best...

I am thinking CEH would be an excellent complimentary piece with Conner and Snell, plus I can imagine Ben loving him as a receiver. Although his blitz pick up scares me, maybe play more 2 set backs with Conner, Watt as blockers when he is in the game. ( maybe all 3 of these rookies suck at pass protection-something they were not asked to do)

Dobbins by far the better prospect, lead Dog, but I wonder about, Akers, how would his production looked like behind an OSU OL. I think he will also command 50/50 snaps with Conner.

Wow I can't stop thinking of the possibilities, add in Watt's blocking and upgrade in the passing game.

What are your guys thoughs?
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Even if Connor plays all 16 games and racks up 1500 yards I don't know how you can give him a Big time deal. It's a matter of time b4 he breaks down with his running style and injury history.

Steelers could easily go RB in the 2nd IF that every down back is there.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Even if Connor plays all 16 games and racks up 1500 yards I don't know how you can give him a Big time deal. It's a matter of time b4 he breaks down with his running style and injury history.

I said this as soon as they drafted him: Conners is not "unlucky" with his injury history. (Although, he was unlucky with getting cancer). He is "unlucky" because his running style simply gets you hurt in the NFL. The defenders are simply too big, fast and powerful to try to run over, unless you are excessively bigger than them, which no one is short of Earl Campbell (and his career was cut short from the collisions). Conner's body can't take those shots and stay in one piece. He _does_ have some ability to make some defenders miss, not enough. He will continue to have shoulder injuries.

That's not to say I don't like him as a person (I used to live a mile away from where he went to high school), but that style, body and the NFL won't cut it. Samuels (as the OP noted) really isn't a RB. He is fine for plays here and there but won't ever be any everydown RB. Snell has a shot, but we need more depth than that, period. I think Taylor will be long gone (sub 4.4 speed and power) so no sense talking about him. I also think Dobbins will be gone too. Akers is a possibility (but could also be gone) but Moss could be the pick, or go with Dillon in the 3rd - a big, fast beast with nifty feet. I don't care that he doesn't have a 5th gear; many great RBs didn't, including some dude named Payton.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

I think most teams are leery of the "Bigtime deal" with RBs for this and similar reasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dobbins was projected to go as high as late 30s pick, now dropping into mid 50s. Dillon has been steady as a mid Day 2 pick.

This could go down as one of the more entertaining drafts in Steelers history. I am predicting at least one 'WTF?' picks before it's over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Dobbins was projected to go as high as late 30s pick, now dropping into mid 50s. Dillon has been steady as a mid Day 2 pick.

This could go down as one of the more entertaining drafts in Steelers history. I am predicting at least one 'WTF?' picks before it's over.
    I"m in total agreement with you on this. Because the areas we don't address, someone will say ," blah, blah , blah was available at this point but we took blah, blah, blah." Gonna be a ton of that going on after this draft.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Also interesting to note that 5 of the top 8 FA RBs available are still unsigned. While all of the top 8 FA WRs are signed. Gives another indication of how teams value these positions. Most teams want young, cheap RBs they can use up and cast off after their rookie contracts. Expensive, experienced RBs don't seem to offer enough value for teams to take on the risk.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    After listening to "The Drive" yesterday, Matt Williams asked Dale Lolley, how does he see a RB ( Dobbins) fitting in with Conner in 2020. They went on to say 50/50 backfield with Conner as 3r back, Samuels man out. With 17 game seasons looming I think that is the future at RB, either 1-2 punch or a RBC, but let's stick to 2020 and these 3 RB- Dobbins, Akers, CEH. ( I won't consider the fumbler, Taylor, hope he goes early!)

Williams also went on to say something that I like, he said when you draft for a RB or set up your RB position, you should have your #1 and #3 similiar players, and your #2 change of back different style. You want #2 to keep doing what he does ( maybe more snaps, but not featured) and have # 3 fill in style as #1 did. I think we did this last year with Conner, Samuels, and Snell, only problem was Samuels isn't a RB, and Snell was too green in pass protection.

Would Akers, or CEH also command 50/50 of the plays? ( I won't consider the fumbler, Taylor, hope he goes early!)

Who would fit best...

I am thinking CEH would be an excellent complimentary piece with Conner and Snell, plus I can imagine Ben loving him as a receiver. Although his blitz pick up scares me, maybe play more 2 set backs with Conner, Watt as blockers when he is in the game. ( maybe all 3 of these rookies suck at pass protection-something they were not asked to do)

Dobbins by far the better prospect, lead Dog, but I wonder about, Akers, how would his production looked like behind an OSU OL. I think he will also command 50/50 snaps with Conner.

Wow I can't stop thinking of the possibilities, add in Watt's blocking and upgrade in the passing game.

What are your guys thoughs?
    Can I throw Dillon's name in there?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Also interesting to note that 5 of the top 8 FA RBs available are still unsigned. While all of the top 8 FA WRs are signed. Gives another indication of how teams value these positions. Most teams want young, cheap RBs they can use up and cast off after their rookie contracts. Expensive, experienced RBs don't seem to offer enough value for teams to take on the risk.
    Great analysis
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO, Akers would be the best fit for us. He is good but was on a bad team at Florida State. He is a do it all kinda player who could stay on the field all the time. He would be my RB pick.