Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft RB Prospects fits in 2020

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    It's an old school mindset of having a back that has to have 20+ carries a game. Doesn't have to be that way any more.
    20? How many touches did he force feed Parker and Bell in their days? Tomlin used to brag "I'm gonna run the wheels off him," Brilliant, how about distributing the ball and keeping everyone fresh, as a wise idea?

Starter

User Info Menu

If our first couple of picks can be instant contributors, I'm thinking a lot of posters would be happy with that.
    I'm not seeing that happen. I am assuming Conner will start the season healthy, and if even not, Snell would get the touches. So if we go RB, he won't likely get too many touches. A rookie WR won't get balls his way right away - as JuJu, Washington and DJ will. I don't see an IOL getting time right away. A LB won't either. Nor a DLman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I'm not seeing that happen. I am assuming Conner will start the season healthy, and if even not, Snell would get the touches. So if we go RB, he won't likely get too many touches. A rookie WR won't get balls his way right away - as JuJu, Washington and DJ will. I don't see an IOL getting time right away. A LB won't either. Nor a DLman.
    If we took a LB with our first selection, he could be an immediate upgrade over VW (for example). Also, if we took a RB (at # 49) they are for sure making him a starter. They wouldn't take a RB that high without him being the starter. Now I definitely agree with you on a rookie WR; he'll have to get more touches as the season goes on but he definitely wouldn't come in lighting up the world.

Linebackers and runningbacks are the most plug and play positions on defense & offense respectively. Cheer up Whisper; Your going to get a guy at # 49 who can give us an immediate shot in the arm.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

If we took a LB with our first selection, he could be an immediate upgrade over VW (for example). Also, if we took a RB (at # 49) they are for sure making him a starter. They wouldn't take a RB that high without him being the starter. Now I definitely agree with you on a rookie WR; he'll have to get more touches as the season goes on but he definitely wouldn't come in lighting up the world.

Linebackers and runningbacks are the most plug and play positions on defense & offense respectively. Cheer up Whisper; Your going to get a guy at # 49 who can give us an immediate shot in the arm.
    Yes, they are, but if Conners is healthy, he is the starter week 1. If a rookie just blows the F up, he could get in there, eventually. I hope our 49 pick is all that, for sure.

Starter

User Info Menu

https://triblive.com/sports/subpar-ground-game-last-season-may-prompt-steelers-to-target-rb-early/

They better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, they are, but if Conners is healthy, he is the starter week 1. If a rookie just blows the F up, he could get in there, eventually. I hope our 49 pick is all that, for sure.
    Conner healthy and playing well and a rookie blows up?....as my dad used to say "Let that be the worst problem you have."

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Conner healthy and playing well and a rookie blows up?....as my dad used to say "Let that be the worst problem you have."
    I guess it was a given Conner will get hurt. We will NEED a rookie to step up or it's another non-playoff season. We will be looking at 3rd place.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess it was a given Conner will get hurt. We will NEED a rookie to step up or it's another non-playoff season. We will be looking at 3rd place.
    I agree, I was responding to where you said if he is healthy and the rook blows up. Great problem to have.

Starter

User Info Menu

Rookie Steeler RBs who started week 1.....

- Snell, no.
    - Conner, no.
    - Bell, yes
    - Rainey, of course not
    - Batch, no.
    - Dwyer, no.
    - Summers, no.
    - Spin-and-Fall, no.
    - Humes, no.
    - Herron, no.
    - Wall, no.
    - Haynes, no.
    - Amos, no.
    - Fu, no.
    - Jones, no.
    - Bam, no.
    - Leroy Thompson, no.
    - Banana Barry, no.

So, only Bell started week 1, going by memory, in recent seasons. Pgh hates starting rookies out of the gate, in general. And, at the highest, he will be a 2nd rounder. Conner will be the starter week 1 (unless he is ALREADY hurt by then).

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookie Steeler RBs who started week 1.....

- Snell, no.
    - Conner, no.
    - Bell, yes
    - Rainey, of course not
    - Batch, no.
    - Dwyer, no.
    - Summers, no.
    - Spin-and-Fall, no.
    - Humes, no.
    - Herron, no.
    - Wall, no.
    - Haynes, no.
    - Amos, no.
    - Fu, no.
    - Jones, no.
    - Bam, no.
    - Leroy Thompson, no.
    - Banana Barry, no.

So, only Bell started week 1, going by memory, in recent seasons. Pgh hates starting rookies out of the gate, in general. And, at the highest, he will be a 2nd rounder. Conner will be the starter week 1 (unless he is ALREADY hurt by then).
    I see your point but if we took someone like Akers or Dobbins, why wouldn't they start if their obviously the superior runningback? You put your best skill position players on the field don't you?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]