Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft RB Prospects fits in 2020

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Also interesting to note that 5 of the top 8 FA RBs available are still unsigned. While all of the top 8 FA WRs are signed. Gives another indication of how teams value these positions. Most teams want young, cheap RBs they can use up and cast off after their rookie contracts. Expensive, experienced RBs don't seem to offer enough value for teams to take on the risk.
    Exactly the reason the top RBs in this yearís draft are only really going 25-75 on most boards. Just not a valued (as in money) position anymore. Get them cheap, use them up, throw them away. Only a few special backs produce much beyond 4-6 years. Iím betting we could wait until our 4th round picks and still get a top RB this year. Weíll see. RBs are now disposableónot fair, but who said the world (and the NFL) is fair.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO, Akers would be the best fit for us. He is good but was on a bad team at Florida State. He is a do it all kinda player who could stay on the field all the time. He would be my RB pick.
    I'm sold on him too. You sold me Ovi.

does he last until our selection in the 3rd round or does he go before that?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    Exactly the reason the top RBs in this year’s draft are only really going 25-75 on most boards. Just not a valued (as in money) position anymore. Get them cheap, use them up, throw them away. Only a few special backs produce much beyond 4-6 years. I’m betting we could wait until our 4th round picks and still get a top RB this year. We’ll see. RBs are now disposable—not fair, but who said the world (and the NFL) is fair.
    If we wait until the 4th, I say AJ Dillon is our man. He could become a hero in Pgh.

Fans love a physical game.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Dobbins was projected to go as high as late 30s pick, now dropping into mid 50s. Dillon has been steady as a mid Day 2 pick.

This could go down as one of the more entertaining drafts in Steelers history. I am predicting at least one 'WTF?' picks before it's over.
    When don't they have one of those? Drafting a punter because he has big arms? A long snapper? A tweener. A project (that never work out)? A tiny RB who is fast but gets tackled by the wind?

Starter

User Info Menu

IMO, Akers would be the best fit for us. He is good but was on a bad team at Florida State. He is a do it all kinda player who could stay on the field all the time. He would be my RB pick.
    That concerns me a bit. Tomlin runs the tires off backs when they can play every down. He way over-uses them. It's actually stupid. And he actually brags about it like it's something to be proud of.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    That concerns me a bit. Tomlin runs the tires off backs when they can play every down. He way over-uses them. It's actually stupid. And he actually brags about it like it's something to be proud of.
    It's an old school mindset of having a back that has to have 20+ carries a game. Doesn't have to be that way any more.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I'm sold on him too. You sold me Ovi.

does he last until our selection in the 3rd round or does he go before that?
    IMO we either take him in Round 2 or we miss on him

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO we either take him in Round 2 or we miss on him
    I was thinking the same thing. With that first pick, there's going to be a ton of, " they should have taken this other guy instead" talk no matter
    who they take. It's like Colbert's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 04-07-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. With that first pick, there's going to be a ton of, " they should have taken this other guy instead" talk no matter
    who they take. It's like Colbert's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
    Sounds like every year

You will have the same people who wont be happy about anything...except being unhappy

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds like every year

You will have the same people who wont be happy about anything...except being unhappy
    If our first couple of picks can be instant contributors, I'm thinking a lot of posters would be happy with that.