Thread: Forgotten Steelers who were decent

Starter

User Info Menu

Forgotten Steelers who were decent

Been watching some youtube old Steeler games lately. And they reminded me of some players I don't often remember (until reminded).

- Mewelde Moore, RB. Played in Pgh 4 years. No hall of famer but provided some quality play at RB. No one seems to remember him.

- Frankie Pollard, RB. Was on bad teams, but he was much better than remembered. Was in Pgh for 9 years! In 1985, rushed for 991 yds. Had career 4.2 apc.

- Darren Perry, S. Not spectacular, but solid, started as a rookie and was a solid part of that 90's D. I partied with him once.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only thing I remember about Pollard was the other RB. Walter Abercrombie. We were probably the only team in history that had two Baylor RBs on the same team.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I kinda liked Dan Krieder. 8 years leading the way.
    5'11" 250.....that's a fb.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    The only thing I remember about Pollard was the other RB. Walter Abercrombie. We were probably the only team in history that had two Baylor RBs on the same team.
    I forgot Frankie was from Baylor, who, at the time, was not a football factory. Abercrombie wasn't as bad as most of us thought at the time; he was in the unfortunate place of being on a team that followed maybe the best team ever in the years previous to him, so juxtaposed, seemed terrible in comparison. Who wouldn't have? Walter wasn't a terrible RB. But when you're following up Franco, that OL, Bradshaw, Lynn and Swann and the best sustained D ever, you ain't gonna cut the mustard.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

John L Williams - a key FA signing in that super bowl run year in 1995. His leadership in the locker room was legendary from one of the top all time receivers as a RB.

Also, that same year, the emergence of Ernie Mills in what became a passing team midseason.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    John L Williams - a key FA signing in that super bowl run year in 1995. His leadership in the locker room was legendary from one of the top all time receivers as a RB.

Also, that same year, the emergence of Ernie Mills in what became a passing team midseason.
    Nice ones. John L and Mills were studs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I was thinking Bryan Hinkle. Played LB for 12 seasons but never made a Pro Bowl. Definitely decent but not one of the Steelers all-time greats.

Backup

User Info Menu

John Jackson. 10th round OT who was as steady as they come on those good 90’s teams, or how about an OL from my alma mater, the late Justin Strelczyk, an 11th round DL they turned into a G/T.