Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burners, burners, burning bright.

Starter

User Info Menu

Burners, burners, burning bright.

So, we have talked about adding a real burner to our repertoire at WR as the icing on the cake. Who are the prospects with blazing speed? This list is done in order of their 40 times; I am well aware there is a lot more to being a good WR than a 40 time. What can I say? I got time to kill.

1. Ruggs, AL, 4.27. I'm not convinced his speed will translate to NFL stardom, but he will go in the 1st round regardless. Too rich for our needs. We won't move up to the 1st round for this guy.

2. Mims, Baylor, 4.38. Very productive (12 TDs, 1020 yds 2019), big (6-3) and obviously fast. Too rich for us, unless he falls to the 4th. He could.

3. Mooney, Tulane, 4.38. A smaller type (5-11, 175 lbs) with just OK production (5 TDs, 713 yds). Could be taken on the 5-7 range.

4. DEVIN DUVERNAY, TX, 4.39. 7th rounder or FA. Can fly, but built more like a RB, doesn't have a clue on how to run routes. Tight hips. A project.

5. Antonio Gibson, Memphis, 4.39. A lot like Duvernay. Fast son of a gun, but tight hips, poor routes - a project.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I feel like our 3 round pick will be WR.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    So, we have talked about adding a real burner to our repertoire at WR as the icing on the cake. Who are the prospects with blazing speed? This list is done in order of their 40 times; I am well aware there is a lot more to being a good WR than a 40 time. What can I say? I got time to kill.

1. Ruggs, AL, 4.27. I'm not convinced his speed will translate to NFL stardom, but he will go in the 1st round regardless. Too rich for our needs. We won't move up to the 1st round for this guy.

2. Mims, Baylor, 4.38. Very productive (12 TDs, 1020 yds 2019), big (6-3) and obviously fast. Too rich for us, unless he falls to the 4th. He could.

3. Mooney, Tulane, 4.38. A smaller type (5-11, 175 lbs) with just OK production (5 TDs, 713 yds). Could be taken on the 5-7 range.

4. DEVIN DUVERNAY, TX, 4.39. 7th rounder or FA. Can fly, but built more like a RB, doesn't have a clue on how to run routes. Tight hips. A project.

5. Antonio Gibson, Memphis, 4.39. A lot like Duvernay. Fast son of a gun, but tight hips, poor routes - a project.
    Mims is going in the first round in the mocks I've seen. But not to worry. Colbert's specialty is finding WR's so I'm not really that concerned about the who/how we are going to address
    that position. If we address that position.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Mims is going in the first round in the mocks I've seen. But not to worry. Colbert's specialty is finding WR's so I'm not really that concerned about the who/how we are going to address
    that position. If we address that position.
    True, but people forget his last 3 WR picks were not really that late. We tend to remember AB (6th) and Sanders (3rd) but JuJu, Washington were 2nd rounders and DJ was our 2nd pick (but it was a 3rd). So, in reality, we aren't getting loads of good Wrs in late rounds - we won't be using our 2nd round on a WR, I don't think. We have more dire needs.

Legend

User Info Menu

True, but people forget his last 3 WR picks were not really that late. We tend to remember AB (6th) and Sanders (3rd) but JuJu, Washington were 2nd rounders and DJ was our 2nd pick (but it was a 3rd). So, in reality, we aren't getting loads of good Wrs in late rounds - we won't be using our 2nd round on a WR, I don't think. We have more dire needs.
    I hear ya; Maybe it's just me but I've got faith he'll add a WR late from this draft that will contribute. It's been a while since he's found a guy later in the draft but I still think he can and will do it. We just can't use our 2nd and 3rd round picks on all these positions that everyone is addressing. All the concerns by the various posters are valid; It's just that we don't have enough ammo in this draft.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I want speed too and high SPARQ players.

Nothing against Juju ( has what 3 TDS over 75 yeards), DJ18, JW, Conner, Snell, but none of them really scare teams like Hill or Hardon, who can take it to the house on any given play.

Love to add Claypool, Taylor, Akers or Dobbins is suppose to be fast (4.4 something in highschool)
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

I got to see Gibson play UCF every year. IMO he is good and better than advertised

Legend

User Info Menu

Ya know, this quarantine stuff has some benefits.... thanks whisper.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Ya know, this quarantine stuff has some benefits.... thanks whisper.
    I agree; I too thank you Whisper for the due diligence you put into the starting of this thread.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I hear ya; Maybe it's just me but I've got faith he'll add a WR late from this draft that will contribute. It's been a while since he's found a guy later in the draft but I still think he can and will do it. We just can't use our 2nd and 3rd round picks on all these positions that everyone is addressing. All the concerns by the various posters are valid; It's just that we don't have enough ammo in this draft.
    I agree with you 100%. Plus, weren't there a few young guys from last year who could come through? Holton? Cain? Shoot, hope we don't need to rely on them.