Thread: Random thought on next steps...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Random thought on next steps...

Well done Colbert and the front office !

I think they did a grat job in solidifying our roster going into the draft, where we have no "real need" (***i will get into that later***) .

I still don't think we are done, we are just waiting on the FA asking prices to drop. Two on this list I am sure are Barron and Chicko. They are not game changers, but insurance that Gilbert, Skipper, and OLA make the next step forward.

Next, I think they will go out and sign a vet back up safety to back up Fitz. The drop off there is huge...Dangerfeild!

I also think they will go looking in FA for an out of date NT, to push McCullers off the roster.

But keep your skirt on girls, all of this might not happen until after the draft, when players get cut due to their replacements.

***Real needs***

I think our roster is solid enough to where we can line up and play today and have a solid team across the board.
    With that said my concerns are mostly for 1st year contributeurs ( rookies and FA), depth, and going forward 2021 and beyond.

OL
    LT-Av is in last year of contract, that leaves only Chuck with LT capabilites. Are we going to actually sign AV long term with big money?
    RT-It is Chucks job to lose this year, unless 1) he wins the LT position, 2) gets out played by Banner 3) we upgrade at LG ( over Wisenski) and Feiler stays at RT.
    Either way, we need more tackles or resign 1 or 2 ( AV, Banner) long term before the draft. They should do that right now with Feiler regardless of postion.

Feiler right now is the key of the OL going forward. It is yet to determine where he lines up next year. The FO needs to plan this carefully. I am with the FO and majority on here, who thinks he should go to LG. But what if it comes down to drafting a "starter" or a "project" at Tackle or "starter" or "project" at guard vs value of another postion. Example, would you take Akers or Wilson (RT) or Jonas (G) with our 2nd pick.

Hear me out, something about Colbert's hint saying that it is a good deep draft for OT...

WHAT IF , a big what if, we determine Chucks is ready to take the next step forward as LT, or we sign Buchanen( cheap) back before the draft. Would you consider trading AV to move up in the draft (move up in the early 3rd) , or for more picks. ( help me out here, regardless, I might be wrong) If he is not on roster post June that saves us 5 Million.)

DB

For this year we are set, but next year total mystery. Maybe not a year to address it with so many depth issues, but I would love to draft a player to project as a starter or subpakage in 2021.

Haden, Sutton, Hilton all are free agents. We do have Nelson and Layne ( is up to take next step)

i dont want o lose this will post and edit later...
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

The team did a great job setting themselves up for the draft and ensuring they don't have to reach for any position. Pretty much every position is in play in Round 2. IMO they could go OT, NT, ILB.

There is depth in this draft at OT and interior OL. I'm not sure that they feel they have to go C/G given they got Wisnewski and Feiler has position flexibility and could move inside. That said they do need to get the Center of the future sometime in this draft.

They could go ILB if a guy like Baun is there because there isn't a lot of depth at that position in this draft. Interesting that Baun is listed as and edge guy but I've read where he could go inside in a 3-4

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The team did a great job setting themselves up for the draft and ensuring they don't have to reach for any position. Pretty much every position is in play in Round 2. IMO they could go OT, NT, ILB.

There is depth in this draft at OT and interior OL. I'm not sure that they feel they have to go C/G given they got Wisnewski and Feiler has position flexibility and could move inside. That said they do need to get the Center of the future sometime in this draft.

They could go ILB if a guy like Baun is there because there isn't a lot of depth at that position in this draft. Interesting that Baun is listed as and edge guy but I've read where he could go inside in a 3-4
    If Baun were there, it would make the first pick very safe/ easy. But we shouldn't hold our breath on that. I"m not as confident about Wisnewski and I view him as a fall back option in a pinch and not a guy who's going to be the starter. But I appreciate his flexibility. There is depth in this draft at OL but Cushenberry may be a real option for us at # 49 as well as a couple of other guys. At some point, I think you value quality over the quantity in an draft and I see the quality in those 3 O-linemen.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    If Baun were there, it would make the first pick very safe/ easy. But we shouldn't hold our breath on that. I"m not as confident about Wisnewski and I view him as a fall back option in a pinch and not a guy who's going to be the starter. But I appreciate his flexibility. There is depth in this draft at OL but Cushenberry may be a real option for us at # 49 as well as a couple of other guys. At some point, I think you value quality over the quantity in an draft and I see the quality in those 3 O-linemen.
    Agreed completely. Cushenberry being a G/C covers us at backup at both places, and would be the eventual starter at one of those places as both Pouncey and Wisnewski are getting up there... would be a really smart selection. Not sexy, but, smart...

If he's on the board, it's a very Colbert selection...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2020 Draft
    2. Lloyd Cushenberry, G/C, LSU
    3. Curtis Weaver, OLB, Boise
    4a. Jordan Elliott, NT, Missouri
    4b. Brandon Jones, S, Texas
    6. Evan Weaver, ILB, Cal
    Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette