Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: RB in the draft

Starter

User Info Menu

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/3/31/21199191/the-steelers-do-not-need-to-add-another-running-back-to-their-2020-roster-james-conner-benny-snell

This article is very persuasive that we don't need another RB....not. It wasn't convincing at all. It acknowledged Conner is always hurt but then dismissed that fact in claiming we have no need in adding one. Dumb.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    lmao.. I really hope no one on here thinks their post have influence.
    I don't know felt. Last year around this time I wrote on this forum that I think that the Cards should draft Kyler Murray. Come draft day that's exactly what they did. So, not only does the Steelers front office read this forum, but others do too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I don't know felt. Last year around this time I wrote on this forum that I think that the Cards should draft Kyler Murray. Come draft day that's exactly what they did. So, not only does the Steelers front office read this forum, but others do too.
    interesting, both the Steelers and Steelers West have this message board bugged...

Starter

User Info Menu

The biggest knock on AJ is he hasn't been used much in the passing game...but look at this guy rumble. I know most of us want speed added to our RB unit, and AJ lack stop speed (but he is by no means slow). If, for some reason, we don't pick up a RB in the 2nd or 3rd, I'd be delighted to grab AJ in the 4th. Between him, Snell and (sometimes) Conner, that could be a bruising force. And, trust me, the power rushing attacks are not dead, contrary to what you constantly hear. They just took a little time off. Some dude named Henry did a little somethin' somethin' in the playoffs last season (destroyed Pats and the #1 seed Ravens both on the road), proving a big power back can still be a winning formula. And since when does every good back have to have a 5th gear? I seem to remember some guys named Payton, Beast Mode, Bus, et al. that did OK.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    The biggest knock on AJ is he hasn't been used much in the passing game...but look at this guy rumble. I know most of us want speed added to our RB unit, and AJ lack stop speed (but he is by no means slow). If, for some reason, we don't pick up a RB in the 2nd or 3rd, I'd be delighted to grab AJ in the 4th. Between him, Snell and (sometimes) Conner, that could be a bruising force. And, trust me, the power rushing attacks are not dead, contrary to what you constantly hear. They just took a little time off. Some dude named Henry did a little somethin' somethin' in the playoffs last season (destroyed Pats and the #1 seed Ravens both on the road), proving a big power back can still be a winning formula. And since when does every good back have to have a 5th gear? I seem to remember some guys named Payton, Beast Mode, Bus, et al. that did OK.

Agreed. Speed is overrated. If a power RB gets to the 2nd level, with the lighter DBs nowadays there's something to be said for beefy backs.
    (Full disclosure; I am old school, so 3 yds and a cloud of dust is my kind of run game)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We have enough bruisers in our backfield. We need someone who can avoid contact.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

We have enough bruisers in our backfield. We need someone who can avoid contact.
    Shhhh, all other NFL teams are listening to every word we say so that they can steal all the players we want away from us...

Legend

User Info Menu

another prediction of Conner's demise:

Which Running Backs Will Lose Their Jobs in the NFL Draft?
    by Matthew Gajewski, April 1, 2020
    Leonard-Fournette-fantasy-football
    With the NFL Draft quickly approaching, the 2020 crop of rookies will soon find their new homes. Every season, a few incumbent starters lose their jobs to incoming rookie talent. We refer to this as being “Tre MasonP‘d” in honor of Mason seeing his role vaporized by Todd GurleyP in the 2015 NFL Draft. With age and injuries playing a role in certain situations, here are a few running backs sitting tenuously atop their depth charts who can lose their roles following the NFL Draft.

James ConnerP – Pittsburgh Steelers
    After exceeding expectations in 2018, James ConnerP battled injuries throughout 2019. With injury concerns dating back to college, Conner has yet to play an entire 16-game season in the NFL. After tearing his MCL at Pittsburgh, he missed a pair of games with an ankle sprain in 2018. Last year, he missed six games with an AC Joint sprain and a thigh contusion. With durability limiting his effectiveness, the Steelers may opt for a complimentary back in the 2020 NFL Draft.

On top of Conner’s availability, the young back also leaves room from improvement from an efficiency perspective. His 28.0-percent (No.14 among qualified running backs) Juke Rate actually improved after sitting at 22.2-percent (No. 36) in 2018. However, he showed little ability to create on his own with 1.39 (No. 26) Yards Created per Carry. Positively, he caught 55 and 34 passes in 2018 and 2019, but his limitations as a runner opens the door for additional competition.

While Pittsburgh added Benny SnellP with a fourth-round pick last season, he displayed many of the same limitations as Conner. Pittsburgh doesn’t pick util the second round, but they possess four picks between rounds two and four. In a deep running back class, Conner may not find himself usurped completely. However, Pittsburgh could add a complimentary back in attempts to keep him healthy for a full 16 games this year.

Ronald JonesP – Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    A top running back landing spot, Tampa Bay possesses the draft capital to push Ronald JonesP this season. The Buccaneers let Peyton BarberP walk in free agency, leaving only Jones and Dare OgunbowaleP on the roster. With both showing limited NFL success, look for Tampa to invest at the running back position in the NFL Draft.

Looking specifically at Jones, the former second-round pick’s main limitation comes as a receiver. Known as a two-down grinder, he snagged 31 passes in 2019. Despite the improvement in the pass game, he consistently ceded third-down work to undrafted free agent Ogunbowale. Also struggling with efficiency, his 23.6-percent (No. 24) Juke Rate and 3.9 (No. 36) True Yards per Carry ranked below average. Making matters worse, the Buccaneers didn’t give him a single goal line carry in 2019. Standing 5-11, 205-pounds, he has yet to show the ability to handle a full workload at the NFL level.

Starter

User Info Menu

Did you watch the video? This guy has sweet feet, for such a big guy. And a burst, he's no plodder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Did you watch the video? This guy has sweet feet, for such a big guy. And a burst, he's no plodder.
    2020 NFL Draft Scouting Report: A.J. Dillon

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingr...20ajdillon.php