Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: RB in the draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers and multiple teams have proved that a strong OL can make even an average RB look great.
    Hope the Steelers focus on the big uglies in this draft.
    who are these multiple teams who have done this?

I think you can have an effective run game with a strong OL but they aren’t going to make the RB’s look great.

I think the best way to make a RB who isn’t great look good is having a great QB and a great OC who keeps the D off balance.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

I think you can have an effective run game with a strong OL but they arenít going to make the RBís look great.

I think the best way to make a RB who isnít great look good is having a great QB and a great OC who keeps the D off balance.

I think the front office and many Steeler media also make reference to that, with Ben and the new "assistant O" Canada they would make the OL 100 times better in calling blocking schemes and scheme.

To me, the problem is with our running back stable, besides Conner, everyone is a one trick poney. I would love to match up Conner and Snell with CEH, ( with 17 game schedules coming a reality, I can't see the future of just having a 1 back, running back commitee is going to be common in NFL)

Would love any of the top 5 ( Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, CEH, Akers) but to me the best of this class mght be Akers, Dobbins, and CEH. Taylor has fumbleitis, and Swift might be just benefit of a great Georgia OL.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Exactly....which is why RB are so expendable. The Gurly situation has reaffirmed that as well. What Melvin Gordon got will probably be the high end going forward. Zeke was lucky that JJ was as stupid as he was.
    we havenít seen the Rams have real success without Gurley.

Letís see how they do next season without him before acting like the move was a success.

Zeke didnít luck up either. He is legit.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I think the front office and many Steeler media also make reference to that, with Ben and the new "assistant O" Canada they would make the OL 100 times better in calling blocking schemes and scheme.

To me, the problem is with our running back stable, besides Conner, everyone is a one trick poney. I would love to match up Conner and Snell with CEH, ( with 17 game schedules coming a reality, I can't see the future of just having a 1 back, running back commitee is going to be common in NFL)

Would love any of the top 5 ( Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, CEH, Akers) but to me the best of this class mght be Akers, Dobbins, and CEH. Taylor has fumbleitis, and Swift might be just benefit of a great Georgia OL.
    it’s a marriage when it comes to RB and OL. The issue is when an OL has to be perfect for the RB to shine. Great RB’s can make the first man miss or create something out of nothing.

Snell might be that guy it’s stop early to call it. Conner has shown flashes but he gets injured too often.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you can have an effective run game with a strong OL but they aren’t going to make the RB’s look great.

I think the best way to make a RB who isn’t great look good is having a great QB and a great OC who keeps the D off balance.
    Denver NYG NE come to mind as teams that have plugged in RBs

Legend

User Info Menu

Eagles as well.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Agreed (I assume by "GT" you mean "DT"?).
    yes........

Starter

User Info Menu

When Dallas ran the legs off Murray a few years ago was an example of a so so back made to look great by a great OL. But they used him up quick and sent him packing. That was kind of a shame for the poor guy. No wonder RBs are holding out for big $ earlier more and more. I don't like the way Bell went about it, but I do understand why he held out - he was on his way to being used up before he saw the big $ too.

And your last line is true. The Bills had Thurman Thomas cranking back in the day, because if you played the safeties deep, Thurman would rip off big yards; if you played them up, Kelly would shred you. Same thing in Dallas with Emmitt and Aikman. Elway and Davis.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    When Dallas ran the legs off Murray a few years ago was an example of a so so back made to look great by a great OL. But they used him up quick and sent him packing. That was kind of a shame for the poor guy. No wonder RBs are holding out for big $ earlier more and more. I don't like the way Bell went about it, but I do understand why he held out - he was on his way to being used up before he saw the big $ too.

And your last line is true. The Bills had Thurman Thomas cranking back in the day, because if you played the safeties deep, Thurman would rip off big yards; if you played them up, Kelly would shred you. Same thing in Dallas with Emmitt and Aikman. Elway and Davis.
    These were all really good backs. People forget Thurman Thomas was ahead of Barry Sanders at Oklahoma State.

Murray made the mistake of signing with the Eagles when they had Chip Kelly who turned out to be a fraud.

Starter

User Info Menu

These were all really good backs. People forget Thurman Thomas was ahead of Barry Sanders at Oklahoma State.

Murray made the mistake of signing with the Eagles when they had Chip Kelly who turned out to be a fraud
    True, but he never went on to ever be very productive since the Kelly disaster either....I take it back, he did have a good season with TN in 2016: 1,287 yds, 4.4 ypc.

That was the season after he was in Philly.