Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RB in the draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The LSU back Clyde Edwards-Helaire is only 5 7 and ran a 4.6 at Indi however if he was a half step faster and 2 inches taller I'm not sure he isn't a late 1 or early 2. He's got good hands ,50 + catches this year, excellent vision n he's got a little MJD when you watch him run minus the breakaway speed. If he's on the board in round 4 (we have picks 124 n 135) he could be a good value pick.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, we met with him at the Combine also...
    That's right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Best Player Available with the 2nd round pick. IF one of those 1st round RB's falls... They could probably get Akers in the 3rd. Might need a replacement for Dupree down the road..Maybe look in 2nd round for an OLB... But really, BPA
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    The only teams before us that I see that need a RB are:

Miami, probably take Swift in 1st,
    TB, but they will probably take D or OL, they wont trust a rookie in pass protection

Teams who might, but have other needs to take a RB early in 2nd, most likely WR, QB, OL, or D
    Detroit
    Chargers
    INDY
    All those 5 teams need a rb bad, but your point is still valid. We will probably be in position for 4th best (perceived). But my hunch is they will go another direction.
    Last edited by whisper; 03-23-2020 at 12:20 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

If there is one thing that this off-season has taught us (other than social distancing) it's that teams realize that a bell-cow back today does not necessarily translate to RB stability tomorrow. Don't be surprised if some team ahead of 49 looks down and says "Dobbins (or Taylor, CEH, Akers etc.) is still available? We're pretty good at RB but why not throw him into the mix?"

I think they all realize that having one or two good backs and a strong running game is important to win. Thinking that your current situation is a long-term solution is dangerous. The ideal strategy might be to get good, young, cheap backs when and where you can.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i don't think we need a RB that desperately.... the entire offense sucked last year. Conner did fine when he had Ben. Snell will be pretty dang good when he has Ben.

Don't get me wrong, I like Akers. But, if I compared him to a healthy Conner - it's not a significant upgrade. I'd spend that pick on OL (unless you were taking a shot at a QB)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2020 Draft
    2. Lloyd Cushenberry, G/C, LSU
    3. Curtis Weaver, OLB, Boise
    4a. Jordan Elliott, NT, Missouri
    4b. Brandon Jones, S, Texas
    6. Evan Weaver, ILB, Cal
    Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Best Player Available with the 2nd round pick. IF one of those 1st round RB's falls... They could probably get Akers in the 3rd. Might need a replacement for Dupree down the road..Maybe look in 2nd round for an OLB... But really, BPA
    I don't think those guys fall. Remember, you got Miami and Atlanta ( just to name two) who are both in desperate need of a starting RB at the top of the 2nd round. Gurley is done.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 03-23-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    i don't think we need a RB that desperately.... the entire offense sucked last year. Conner did fine when he had Ben. Snell will be pretty dang good when he has Ben.

Don't get me wrong, I like Akers. But, if I compared him to a healthy Conner - it's not a significant upgrade. I'd spend that pick on OL (unless you were taking a shot at a QB)
    Dude, that's the entire point: Conner is rarely healthy. We can't count on him, period. I said this when they drafted him. He running style leads to injuries on this level.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

I'm with you on this, though I wouldn't sniff a QB from this class but rather go OL or possibly edge rusher of some kind. We seem to have a pretty decent stable of backs to spend resources at that position early, IMO.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm with you on this, though I wouldn't sniff a QB from this class but rather go OL or possibly edge rusher of some kind. We seem to have a pretty decent stable of backs to spend resources at that position early, IMO.
    Not really. Conner can't stay healthy, Samuels isn't a true NFL RB, Snell is OK but more of a plodder. We were 29th in rushing last year with 90 ypg. You think we are all good with our RBs and those #s? 29th? The Ravens ground out 206 ypg. Now THAT is a rushing attack.