Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vannett is a bronco

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    The comp pick is a year later than we need and probably won't be 4th.
    why does it need to be a 4th?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    why does it need to be a 4th?
    Didn't we trade our 5th?
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Didn't we trade our 5th?
    yes, but why then does it need to be a 4th?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

yes, but why then does it need to be a 4th?
    Because anything less than a 4th would make it an even worse move.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

A little overreaction here don't ya think?

First of all, we are talking about trading away a fifth for a guy who filled a complete void. The FO knew he was on the last year of a deal, and therefore auditioning for a contract this off-season.

He played on an offense that was easily the worst Steeler offense in memory - from the QB situation, to the skill players, to the OL. Complete clusterf@ck across the board.

The team has chosen not to retain him, although, had they given him a contract I don't think there would be much in the way of "worst decision ever" posts. Just for having him at a time of need, the price of a fifth is not crazy. The return of maybe a fourth or fifth is a bonus.

Either way, I don't think I could get too upset over the loss of that fifth. It stings more because of the first and third that were traded away (although, those two picks did help net Fitz and Bush) but if that was not the case then nobody would think twice about the fifth.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    A little overreaction here don't ya think?

First of all, we are talking about trading away a fifth for a guy who filled a complete void. The FO knew he was on the last year of a deal, and therefore auditioning for a contract this off-season.

He played on an offense that was easily the worst Steeler offense in memory - from the QB situation, to the skill players, to the OL. Complete clusterf@ck across the board.

The team has chosen not to retain him, although, had they given him a contract I don't think there would be much in the way of "worst decision ever" posts. Just for having him at a time of need, the price of a fifth is not crazy. The return of maybe a fourth or fifth is a bonus.

Either way, I don't think I could get too upset over the loss of that fifth. It stings more because of the first and third that were traded away (although, those two picks did help net Fitz and Bush) but if that was not the case then nobody would think twice about the fifth.
    I agree to a point.
    There were FA that could have been had for free(no picks)

Legend

User Info Menu

so you think it's reasonable to expect to buy a used car and drive it for awhile and then sell it for more than you bought it for?

Starter

User Info Menu

so you think it's reasonable to expect to buy a used car and drive it for awhile and then sell it for more than you bought it for?
    It's not out of the question; it happens on Judge Judy from time to time.

Hey, did you read where Vannett kind of talked trash on the Steelers? I was surprised to hear that; he basically said they were a hot mess.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So players never leave a team and make more money?
    Really?

Legend

User Info Menu

In the last 10 yrs, eight Steeler 5th rd draft picks didn't make it to a second contract. It's just not that unusual for non-success in later rds.