Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hargrave

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    agreed. don't think he was the best fit at 34 NT... would rather have another Casey.

Never understood why so many folks complain about "package" guys who would be KEY on short-yardage (and any other running down), but then ask for nickel and dime guys. They are all sub-packages. Gimme a 3-4 round 330LB nose tackle, please! Because if he's the guy you're trying to get sacks out of in your 34 Defense - you're doing it wrong!
    Nailed it. Imagine Harvs not having to face double teams every play? He is gonna post double digit sacks in Philly. We need to get a Hampton-like NT. Guys like that make a 3-4 work.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think the organization has made it clear in recent years they don't take the best player available in a vacuum but actually it is BPA in an area of need
    Just like every team does.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I remember a former poster on this board who would insist that the Steelers never draft for need, but always strictly take the best player available. I think we will draft for need, but I also think we'll look to scoop up a couple 2nd FAs to try to shore up at these thin positions.

I d
    We had/have several of those guys. Then when it changed to bpa in an area of need, they still claimed that whatever player was selected was still bpa.
    It kills them to admit that the Steelers draft just like all the teams in the NFL.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers are going to continue the 2-5 scheme (which thereís no reason they shouldnít with how successful they were), thereís really no need to replace Hargrave. Wormley will fit into the rotation and the rotation/combination or Heyward, Alualu, Biggs, Wormley and Tuitt will be fine.

In essence, Hargrave has already been upgraded with the return of Tuitt. (as long as he can remain healthy, of course)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Nailed it. Imagine Harvs not having to face double teams every play? He is gonna post double digit sacks in Philly. We need to get a Hampton-like NT. Guys like that make a 3-4 work.
    I don't think the Steelers are even looking for a "Hampton-like NT." We're in a base 3-4 such a small percentage of the plays, I don't think they want to spend big money for such a player. Would it be nice to have a guy like that to bring in on certain plays or if you're facing certain offenses? Yeah. But I think what our FO thinks is that, for the money, it's better to have a more versatile player filling that roster spot.
    2020 Draft Mock #1
    2-17 -- Lloyd Cushenberry, C/G, LSU
    3-38 -- Cam Akers, RB, FSU
    4-18 -- Ben Bartch, G/T, St. John's
    4-29 -- Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU
    6-19 -- Trevon Hill, Edge, Miami
    7-18 -- Juwuan Jones, DL, Western Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I'm curious to see what they do (if they do) in the draft in regards to that.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Starter

User Info Menu

I don't think the Steelers are even looking for a "Hampton-like NT." We're in a base 3-4 such a small percentage of the plays, I don't think they want to spend big money for such a player. Would it be nice to have a guy like that to bring in on certain plays or if you're facing certain offenses? Yeah. But I think what our FO thinks is that, for the money, it's better to have a more versatile player filling that roster spot.
    why would it be expensive?

look how much Hargrave is making as a DT now.

if we get a traditional NT it should be cheap.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Itís looking like our draft will be about offensive linemen, inside linebackers and defensive linemen. Period. Areas we are razor thin at.
    I think you are right, although we got Wormly and Weiseniski ( I am never going to learn to spell these names), I think we should shore those postions up. Add in DB as well for 2021.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Buzz I agree 100%... the days of NT like Hampton are over.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Itís looking like our draft will be about offensive linemen, inside linebackers and defensive linemen. Period. Areas we are razor thin at.
    since you think that it probably means that we will be drafting a RB, WR and S...