Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: signing our own FA

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

signing our own FA

I recently came across an article that reinforced my thoughts of our UFA. https://stillcurtain.com/2020/03/07/...elers-re-sign/

In summary it goes on saying that we should sign 3 of our UFA- Finney, Davis, and Vannett

The article doesn't mention Bud, which should be our first priority.

The first thing you probably are going to say, "where is the money going to come from?" That is where I am too!

Bud estimated 16 M- we can give him a base of 10-11 M with 5 M in bonus and more guarantees. Cuts: Foster 4M, Chicko 5 M, Berry 1.5 M = 10.5 M

The reason needs explanation

Finney- estimate what 4-5 million, based on Fosters due pay, add in bonus and guarantees. Cut Big Red, Nix, and let Banner 4-5 M saved

Signing Finney ( LG/ back up C) and keeping Feiler (RT back up G) on tender, would stabilize the OL going forward with flexibility. No need to reach or need in the draft early and often.

2020- AV-Finney-Pouncey-DD-Feiler resv: Chucks, Grey
    2021- Chucks/AV?- LG rookie '20 or '21 /Finney- Finney- DD- Feiler or rookie '20/'21 <<<<---- you can see the flexibility and no need to reach

Davis- i am not sure on his cost maybe 5-6 M? We can start off by not tendering Hilton, that is 3 M plus another 3 M from redoing BB contract.

Davis knows the system, he would be the super back up- he can play all 4 postions- FS/SS/ Nickel/ Dime with us playing so many sub packages he would be virtually a starter. Would fit that 3 safety D we were picturing where we signed Burnett. It would allow Fitz to play as a chess piece, move him all over. Edmunds closer to the box...

( Edit: I am wondering if Joseph would be a better option, but would hurt the comp formula)

Vannette- 3M, if we can get Vance to redo his contract, then some of that money can go towards signing him with bonus

I don't think we would of traded a 5th rounder for him, and expect not to keep him.

With these 3 signings, we accomplish 3 things

1) We keep to our philosophy, we build through the draft and continuity with our players.
    2) They don't calculate in the comp formula for losing Hargrave, Burns next year.
    3) We go into the draft with limited needs. We have 3rd S, We have our future starting LG/C and RT on the roster, We have a solid TE group. Only true Needs is NT and playmakers ( RB-WR), and depth everywhere.

Take note I want to keep Barron, but only if we can extend him to lower his 5 M cap hit, or else cut and use that money for our draft class.

In addition, we should redo Nelson's contract and some extent DD, Tuitt.
    I am sure I might have faults in my money, but hell I am not an expert, and we don't even know if the 30% rule is in play, or if cap remains at 200.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 03-08-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Davis is going to want big $$$$$ with Rosenscum as his agent
    You forgot Feiler is due $$$$
    16 mil to Bud kills us but we have no one that could fill his shoes

iF IT WAS UP TO ME
    Let Bud test the market

Cuts

Foster $4,000,000
    Baron $5,250,000
    Chick $5,000,000
    Berry $1,800,000

Keep/Resign/Tender
    Javon Hargrave Offer a deal
    Tyler Matakevich Offer a deal
    Finney UFA Offer a deal
    Feiler RFA Second Round Tender $3,278,000
    Zach Banner RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender
    Kameron Canaday RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender

UFA
    An unrestricted free agent is a player with four or more accrued seasons whose current contract expired at the end of the season with their team. These players are free to negotiate a deal with the team in which they were under contract up until free agency begins on March 18 at 4 PM. Players may negotiate with new teams 48 hours prior to the start of free agency but contracts will not become official until the new league year begins. The only option a team has in retaining a UFA is the sign them to a new contract or to use the franchise or transition tag.

RFA
    Restricted free agent (RFA): A player with three accrued seasons and an expired contract. RFAs are free to negotiate and sign with any team, but their original team can offer them one of various qualifying offers (“tenders”) that come with the Right of First Refusal and/or draft-pick compensation. These amounts change by a minimum of 5 percent and a maximum of 10 percent (based on the salary cap) each League Year. Tenders are classified as follows:
    First-round tender: If the player’s original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a first-round draft pick from his new team.
    Second-round tender: If the player’s original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a second-round pick from his new team.
    Original-round tender: If the player’s original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a pick in the round the player was originally drafted in.
    Right-of-first-refusal tender: Team has the right to match any offer sheet signed with another team, but there is no draft compensation tied to this tender.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be shocked if they didn't tag/keep Dupree. Guys had a breakout season and with no viable replacement you could actually end up hurting Watt's performance. Bud proved to league that he needs to be accounted for so that helps Watt and if you let Bud walk you could be getting weaker at two positions on a defense you need to excel.

I also think you have to keep Finney. I'd give him a contract to be the heir apparent to Pouncey who may have no more than two years left.

Regarding Pittpete's other suggestions:

Javon Hargrave Offer a deal--Love him but need to let him walk
    Tyler Matakevich Offer a deal--Disagree, let him walk
    Finney UFA Offer a deal--Agree as stated above
    Feiler RFA Second Round Tender $3,278,000--Agree
    Zach Banner RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender--Agree
    Kameron Canaday RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender--No opinion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This CBA thing is killing me, now it looks like they are pushing back the vote till sat. and might push back everything ( tags, and free agency period).
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'd be shocked if they didn't tag/keep Dupree. Guys had a breakout season and with no viable replacement you could actually end up hurting Watt's performance. Bud proved to league that he needs to be accounted for so that helps Watt and if you let Bud walk you could be getting weaker at two positions on a defense you need to excel.

I also think you have to keep Finney. I'd give him a contract to be the heir apparent to Pouncey who may have no more than two years left.

Regarding Pittpete's other suggestions:

Javon Hargrave Offer a deal--Love him but need to let him walk
    Tyler Matakevich Offer a deal--Disagree, let him walk
    Finney UFA Offer a deal--Agree as stated above
    Feiler RFA Second Round Tender $3,278,000--Agree
    Zach Banner RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender--Agree
    Kameron Canaday RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender--No opinion
    Pete put a lot of thought in that, he could be correct. Either way the front office is going to have make a decision.

I agree, Finney is the key to the draft. With him on board, we will have depth and flexibility in the OL. (Feiler is a given that are going to re-sign annd maybe long term.) We can go any which way in the draft if the line is solidfied. From being a major priority, I would push it behind Safety and DL help. We could possibly skip OL if we have Finney and Feiler signed long term.

The issue of cap space is 2020, not in 2021, we have a project cap space of 89M and that is at current 200M.

Legend

User Info Menu

Finney isn't going anywhere. Colbert would be crazy to let him go.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree with Bud Dupree being designated the franchise tag
    I can see us using the transition tag and letting him test the market and see if we can match
    I know this has probably been stated/read before but this worries me with Bud

“What should concern the Steelers when looking at the potential of re-signing Dupree, along with other potential suitors, is that his pressure rate for 2019 sits at only 10.1%”, Linsey continued. “That ranks 70th among edge rushers, tied with Cassius Marsh and John Simon. Dupree’s sack total with a pressure rate that low and a four-year track record of subpar production as a pass-rusher should bring reason for pause for NFL teams this offseason”.
    It’s hard to disagree with either of these. Dupree had a huge 2019 season but it was literally all or nothing each week. If he didn’t get a sack he really didn’t offer much in terms of pressure. And his all-around game didn’t show much improvement at all. A case could be made the work of T.J. Watt on the other side actually boosted Dupree’s production.
    Some great articles to read

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...fl-news-rumors

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...y-steelers-nfl

Im just not sold on Dupree and i watched every single play during the season.
    He's a complementary player, not a player who can take over a game
    Just my opimion
    Last edited by pittpete; 03-09-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Davis is going to want big $$$$$ with Rosenscum as his agent
    You forgot Feiler is due $$$$
    16 mil to Bud kills us but we have no one that could fill his shoes

iF IT WAS UP TO ME
    Let Bud test the market

Cuts

Foster $4,000,000
    Baron $5,250,000
    Chick $5,000,000
    Berry $1,800,000

Keep/Resign/Tender
    Javon Hargrave Offer a deal
    Tyler Matakevich Offer a deal
    Finney UFA Offer a deal
    Feiler RFA Second Round Tender $3,278,000
    Zach Banner RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender
    Kameron Canaday RFA Right-of-first-refusal tender

UFA
    An unrestricted free agent is a player with four or more accrued seasons whose current contract expired at the end of the season with their team. These players are free to negotiate a deal with the team in which they were under contract up until free agency begins on March 18 at 4 PM. Players may negotiate with new teams 48 hours prior to the start of free agency but contracts will not become official until the new league year begins. The only option a team has in retaining a UFA is the sign them to a new contract or to use the franchise or transition tag.

RFA
    Restricted free agent (RFA): A player with three accrued seasons and an expired contract. RFAs are free to negotiate and sign with any team, but their original team can offer them one of various qualifying offers (“tenders”) that come with the Right of First Refusal and/or draft-pick compensation. These amounts change by a minimum of 5 percent and a maximum of 10 percent (based on the salary cap) each League Year. Tenders are classified as follows:
    First-round tender: If the player’s original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a first-round draft pick from his new team.
    Second-round tender: If the player’s original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a second-round pick from his new team.
    Original-round tender: If the player’s original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a pick in the round the player was originally drafted in.
    Right-of-first-refusal tender: Team has the right to match any offer sheet signed with another team, but there is no draft compensation tied to this tender.
    I think Ola will kill it. Shorter, squat y, leverage ...like, some other guy with the same #. And slow to get on the field like the other 92. Paying Bud $15 million is suicide. He's barely average.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    I think Ola will kill it. Shorter, squat y, leverage ...like, some other guy with the same #. And slow to get on the field like the other 92. Paying Bud $15 million is suicide. He's barely average.
    nice first post, welcome to the group

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Sorry, but "thinking" Ola will "kill it" is not the way to plan for a play off run in the two years we have left with Ben. We have no idea whether we will get a "Good Ben" or "Bad Ben" when he comes back this season. That puts more of the burden on the defense. Bud is more of a sure thing that Ola and I think the only smart move is to go with what you know and not what you hope. Keep in mind that our coaches and staff watch these guys all the time and know what they are capable of more than any fans. If they really thought there was any chance Ola was ever going to "kill it," then they wouldn't even consider tagging Bud.