Thread: Rumour: New CBA negotions to higher cap

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Rumour: New CBA negotions to higher cap

Just heard on SNR ( steeler national radio) that one aspect of the negotiations is to increase cap from 200 to 230 million! ( they were talking about it for at least 10 min)

That means we might have $$$ to resign Bud, Hargrave, and maybe Finney and maybe keep a few options we wanted to cap cut.

The avarage salery is suppose to increase, but they report it will cost teams maybe 3-5 million count to cap.

Maybe Hooper, another WR, or another player outside ...
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

It would be nice, but I doubt it would be in effect for the current off season. Hasn't even been agreed to

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The way it works, if you increase the money every team is allowed to spend, salary demands rise accordingly ... sure, we'll have more $$$ to spend, but so will the other teams. I don't think this is necessarily going to result in being able to sign all the quality FAs we would like to have on the team.
    2020 Draft Mock #1
    2-17 -- Lloyd Cushenberry, C/G, LSU
    3-38 -- Cam Akers, RB, FSU
    4-18 -- Ben Bartch, G/T, St. John's
    4-29 -- Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU
    6-19 -- Trevon Hill, Edge, Miami
    7-18 -- Juwuan Jones, DL, Western Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The way it works, if you increase the money every team is allowed to spend, salary demands rise accordingly ... sure, we'll have more $$$ to spend, but so will the other teams. I don't think this is necessarily going to result in being able to sign all the quality FAs we would like to have on the team.
    Exactly. The only thing that it makes easier for the Steelers is what was already under their control. For example, Bud gets franchise tagged but not signed long-term because his FA market value would rise 10-15%, but franchise tag value should remain the same. If you are thinking about cutting McDonald in order to create cap space, it now isn't necessary (you might still want to, but not because you feel you have to in order to create the space). A FA TE like Hooper or Henry is still out of the question because the other teams who already had more cap space than you still have more than you and will drive the price even higher. If the CBA still allows this year for teams to use both the franchise and transition tag then maybe you retain Hargrave on the transition but if not, you can't afford the bidding war that he will bring, the same way you figure you couldn't before. You can also consider keeping Barron instead of opting for the $5.25M in savings. Expensive for a (hopefully) backup ILB but provides a ton of insurance at the position.

The players who we already assumed would be cut in order to create much needed space probably still are because they still aren't worth it - Foster, Chick, Berry.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not all of that increase will be used this year - it needs to be rationed across a bunch of players in multiple years since it is a one time large bump. Can't give it all to guys this year with super big contracts because then you've ruined the market.

But it will open up money for more guys this year

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Can't give it all to guys this year with super big contracts because then you've ruined the market.
    True. But other teams will anyway.