Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 year plan for the Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

3 year plan for the Steelers

This is going to be an interesting stretch coming up. If things break their way and they play their cards right, the defense and offensive skill players currently on the team can make a young QB look very good in the post-Ben years.

But there are also a lot of big dollar players on this roster who will need both their first big contracts and also extensions. Can they all be kept here? Not with Ben's money on the books for much longer. They have a great defense in place, and keeping that core together will necessarily mean that there isn't big money available to give to a top QB. And it's also good for the future of the team that the Bell and Brown circus and the $$ that comes with it has moved out of town. It's unfortunate to lose skilled players like that, but their personalities and their paychecks just didn't match up. They were a great pairing with prime-of-his-career Ben, but the future of the Steelers needs to look much different that the past 5 years have. Troy P gave an interesting interview recently, talking about how he struggled in his last year to step up as a captain and hold up the historic standard of the Steelers because of they players who were on the team at the time. That needs to be fixed moving forward if it hasn't already.

The way the league is designed, success these days often comes with a young and cheap QB and a talented core around him. The Steelers have the opportunity to follow that lead if they can grab hold of it.

Expensive 2021 Free agents:
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Cam Heyward
    Joe Haden
    Al Villanueva

Role player 2021 Free agents worth keeping around:
    James Conner
    Cam Sutton
    Tyson Alualu

Expensive 2022 Free agents:
    Ben Roethlisberger
    James Washington
    David Decastro
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Vince Williams
    TJ Watt
    Steven Nelson

Role player 2022 Free agents worth keeping around:
    Mason Rudolph
    Jaylen Samuels
    Roosevelt Nix

Looking at that list, IMO the money needs to be reserved for: Juju, Heyward, Haden, Washington, Decastro, Watt, Nelson

Ben and Pouncey can probably move on, but very likely would just retire together as they have talked about.

Cam, Vince, Decastro, Haden, and Nelson are already getting paid big - extensions for them wont be huge hits, but moderate upgrades that can be offset partially by salary cap increases

Juju, Washington, and Watt need to in some way or another be given the money that is right now tied up by Ben and Pouncey. That means Ben and Pouncey can't be here in 2021 if the young core is to be kept together.

2021 money for cut/retire:
    Ben - dead cap 12.5M, 19M freed up
    Pouncey - dead cap 3M, 8M freed up

2020 draft priorities based on the above info and current roster holes:

Bud and Hargrave leaving so replacements needed at OLB and DT
    No good TE on the roster
    Need to replenish for the future at QB and C
    Could use help at OG and OT (replace Feiler, Villanueva, and Foster in the next 3 years)

I would focus my efforts towards OLine at this point to build for whoever that next QB will be. Take the best center available in round 2 if they are worth it.

Ola Adeniyi and Tuzar Skipper should get every opportunity to unseat Chickillo and take over at ROLB so that Chick can be cut and that money can be spent on better players.

2021: Either Mason is given the reigns, a FA QB is brought in as a stopgap, or they need to get to the top of round 1 for a QB in a class that right now only Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are expected to be big names in. This isn't promising, but we will need to wait and see how things shake out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    This is going to be an interesting stretch coming up. If things break their way and they play their cards right, the defense and offensive skill players currently on the team can make a young QB look very good in the post-Ben years.

But there are also a lot of big dollar players on this roster who will need both their first big contracts and also extensions. Can they all be kept here? Not with Ben's money on the books for much longer. They have a great defense in place, and keeping that core together will necessarily mean that there isn't big money available to give to a top QB. And it's also good for the future of the team that the Bell and Brown circus and the $$ that comes with it has moved out of town. It's unfortunate to lose skilled players like that, but their personalities and their paychecks just didn't match up. They were a great pairing with prime-of-his-career Ben, but the future of the Steelers needs to look much different that the past 5 years have. Troy P gave an interesting interview recently, talking about how he struggled in his last year to step up as a captain and hold up the historic standard of the Steelers because of they players who were on the team at the time. That needs to be fixed moving forward if it hasn't already.

The way the league is designed, success these days often comes with a young and cheap QB and a talented core around him. The Steelers have the opportunity to follow that lead if they can grab hold of it.

Expensive 2021 Free agents:
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Cam Heyward
    Joe Haden
    Al Villanueva

Role player 2021 Free agents worth keeping around:
    James Conner
    Cam Sutton
    Tyson Alualu

Expensive 2022 Free agents:
    Ben Roethlisberger
    James Washington
    David Decastro
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Vince Williams
    TJ Watt
    Steven Nelson

Role player 2022 Free agents worth keeping around:
    Mason Rudolph
    Jaylen Samuels
    Roosevelt Nix

Looking at that list, IMO the money needs to be reserved for: Juju, Heyward, Haden, Washington, Decastro, Watt, Nelson

Ben and Pouncey can probably move on, but very likely would just retire together as they have talked about.

Cam, Vince, Decastro, Haden, and Nelson are already getting paid big - extensions for them wont be huge hits, but moderate upgrades that can be offset partially by salary cap increases

Juju, Washington, and Watt need to in some way or another be given the money that is right now tied up by Ben and Pouncey. That means Ben and Pouncey can't be here in 2021 if the young core is to be kept together.

2021 money for cut/retire:
    Ben - dead cap 12.5M, 19M freed up
    Pouncey - dead cap 3M, 8M freed up

2020 draft priorities based on the above info and current roster holes:

Bud and Hargrave leaving so replacements needed at OLB and DT
    No good TE on the roster
    Need to replenish for the future at QB and C
    Could use help at OG and OT (replace Feiler, Villanueva, and Foster in the next 3 years)

I would focus my efforts towards OLine at this point to build for whoever that next QB will be. Take the best center available in round 2 if they are worth it.

Ola Adeniyi and Tuzar Skipper should get every opportunity to unseat Chickillo and take over at ROLB so that Chick can be cut and that money can be spent on better players.

2021: Either Mason is given the reigns, a FA QB is brought in as a stopgap, or they need to get to the top of round 1 for a QB in a class that right now only Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are expected to be big names in. This isn't promising, but we will need to wait and see how things shake out.
    Great breakdown.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Crazy like a fox option:

Ignore the temporary anger and pressure to compete every year, and focus on the fact that the goal is winning Super Bowls and being the best overall team you can be over the next 10 years. I would lean towards this plan since the team does not yet have a QB in place for the future. Sucking in 2020 is a small price to pay for a decade of success. This seems to be an acceptable plan in other sports, but not football for whatever reason.

Cut all the big money now, take the dead cap hits in 2020, get these contracts off the books and get out of salary cap hell for the future. Cut or trade Ben and Pouncey prior to free agency. Use the opened up money to retain or extend future core players or grab a necessary free agent.

Total dead cap 2020: 31M
    Total available cap generated 2020: 13.5M
    Total available cap generated 2021: 42.5M

These guys could be cut/traded now as well if 2020 is a throw away, because they are FAs after the year and wont need to be brought back: Barron, Foster, McDonald, Chickillo

Total dead cap 2020: 7.73M
    Total available cap generated 2020: ~20M
    Total available cap generated 2021: ~6M

So that's 33.5M gained in 2020. And in 2021, 48.5M now available. Now we have $$ to retain a solid core, and either Mason develops into the answer or we have a chance at a top QB next year. I would then trade whatever is needed to go get Trevor Lawrence. Seriously, trade whatever it takes. That dude, with a solid core, on a cheap contract - take the wins for the next 5 years and be happy every day that you did it.

You can keep your own guys around and maybe even sign some temporary expensive free agents to fill holes while waiting for draft stock to reset again after using it to get Lawrence. 2021 and 2022 1st and 2nds, take it all. You could have a cheap and good QB through 2025. You'd have two years of full draft capital back and be rebuilding the team for the next run with new young guys after Lawrence gets his first big contract.

Less crazy alternative:

Can that freed up 2020 money grab one of the available FA QBs in 2020? Definitely. I'd roll the dice on Teddy Bridgewater with a 3 year contract and hope for the best in the short term, and maybe find the long term answer as well. He'd be a steal for a QB these days around 20M/yr, is good enough to win with a good team, and would not eat up so much cap that the core can't be kept together. Maintains enough cap space to extend Juju and keep some future money for Watt.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Winning super bowls isn't our goal anymore. Getting close to making the playoffs is good enough now.
    We will continue to do things the proven 'steeler way' and be happy with 6-10 to 9-7 and hope we fluke into our next franchise qb.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Winning super bowls isn't our goal anymore. Getting close to making the playoffs is good enough now.
    not true, the Steelers' goal is always to win the Super Bowl.

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting topic D. We rarely discuss the long term of the whole team. Things really open up after 2021 as there are only 9 players under contract at a total of $31M in cap space. Factor in that cutting Tuitt and Boz saves over $12M of that against the cap and you have some insurance against those two going downhill fast. As of now you are in position to allocate funds as you see fit. Pick the players you want to build around and commit - the space is there.

Want to correct your info on Haden. He is signed in 2021 at a cap hit of $12.6M, so no need to look at his contract yet unless you want to free up some space by extending him. Keep in mind that he will be 32 when his contract expires so I'd want to keep a close eye on him over the next two years and would not commit extra money to him until I see him come out of the '21 season without decline.

AV might be a big money signing, but I'd say he would be no more than average for his position. I would always have one eye looking out for his replacement, and if you do re-sign or extend him then it would not be for more than around $10M per.

As much as we all like JJSS, especially in light of him being the primary target of our most hated former player, but he will have to put together a bounce back season before committing any significant money to him. Another season like '19 and he is bounced to the third tier WR pile. Sure he was playing hurt and without Ben, but he also played his first year without a true #1 across from him.

I disagree with calling Washington a "big money" FA as of right now. He ended the season as the #3 behind DJ. I would look to extend him after this season if you still think he can jump up. Unless he blows up, I like what I see and you might be able to lock him down before his value gets too high.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Interesting topic D. We rarely discuss the long term of the whole team. Things really open up after 2021 as there are only 9 players under contract at a total of $31M in cap space. Factor in that cutting Tuitt and Boz saves over $12M of that against the cap and you have some insurance against those two going downhill fast. As of now you are in position to allocate funds as you see fit. Pick the players you want to build around and commit - the space is there.

Want to correct your info on Haden. He is signed in 2021 at a cap hit of $12.6M, so no need to look at his contract yet unless you want to free up some space by extending him. Keep in mind that he will be 32 when his contract expires so I'd want to keep a close eye on him over the next two years and would not commit extra money to him until I see him come out of the '21 season without decline.

AV might be a big money signing, but I'd say he would be no more than average for his position. I would always have one eye looking out for his replacement, and if you do re-sign or extend him then it would not be for more than around $10M per.

As much as we all like JJSS, especially in light of him being the primary target of our most hated former player, but he will have to put together a bounce back season before committing any significant money to him. Another season like '19 and he is bounced to the third tier WR pile. Sure he was playing hurt and without Ben, but he also played his first year without a true #1 across from him.

I disagree with calling Washington a "big money" FA as of right now. He ended the season as the #3 behind DJ. I would look to extend him after this season if you still think he can jump up. Unless he blows up, I like what I see and you might be able to lock him down before his value gets too high.
    Agree on Haden and waiting until he is a FA to make a choice due to his age. Spotrac had him as a FA after 2020, OverTheCap shows 2021 though like you said

I'd wait and see on AV as well and make a decision when he is a FA.

Some of these guys I labeled as big money due to their position rather than their skill status - AV as left tackle is one, WRs are getting huge money even when average it seems which is why I labeled Washington in that group, too.

JuJu having a 100+ catch and 1400 yard season so young will get him paid big somewhere, I hope he keeps rolling and that place is Pittsburgh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    not true, the Steelers' goal is always to win the Super Bowl.
    Really?
    What comments from Rooney the last few years supports your claim compared to mine?

Legend

User Info Menu

Really?
    What comments from Rooney the last few years supports your claim compared to mine?
    To win a championship, you have to be successful in the playoffs. The rooneys have shown ( voiced) no frustration of the constant playoff failures of this team over the last 8-9 years. They seem content that as long as we are competitive in the regular season, then that is good enough.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Really?
    the Rooneys don't wash their dirty laundry in public, actions speak louder than words.

the trade up for Bush and then for Fitzpatrick show the Steelers desire to win...