Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Still don't understand the logic of cutting Roethlisberger now to save money in 2021.
    Let it play out in preseason and make decisions later.
    Some are just ready to forge ahead into the future but we've got to let this play out; as frustrating as it may be for some.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Don't remember about this board specifically, but I remember a lot of noise, early in the season, about Miami tanking. I think even some of the media talking heads were bringing it up. Some of the moves the Fins made, shipping talent out, seemed to lend some credibility to the notion. However, I don't think their head coach (Flores?) has it in his DNA to try to lose. I don't think ours does, either.
    Exactly. Thanks Buzz.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't remember about this board specifically, but I remember a lot of noise, early in the season, about Miami tanking. I think even some of the media talking heads were bringing it up. Some of the moves the Fins made, shipping talent out, seemed to lend some credibility to the notion. However, I don't think their head coach (Flores?) has it in his DNA to try to lose. I don't think ours does, either.
    It's not in any coach's DNA to lose. IF a team ever did intentionally decide to "tank", I'd have to think that the decision came from higher up than the head coach.

Starter

User Info Menu

well Steel Maniac pointed to specific plays to prove they were tanking.

a stupid accusation to further discredit our teams ability to overcome adversity and beat them.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Me too.
    I'm sure there were others on here saying the same thing.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    well Steel Maniac pointed to specific plays to prove they were tanking.

a stupid accusation to further discredit our teams ability to overcome adversity and beat them.
    exactly, yet another futile and biased attempt to further his anti-Tomlin agenda by claiming the Dolphins were intentionally tanking and insinuating the Steelers and Tomlin could never have come from behind on their own to win without the Dolphins letting them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dudes, chill... Maniac has his opinions just like everyone else. I don't know about yinz, but I come to this board to read stuff that might not always sync with my thinking.

btw,... is anyone else already tired of the offseason....????

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Dudes, chill... Maniac has his opinions just like everyone else. I don't know about yinz, but I come to this board to read stuff that might not always sync with my thinking.

btw,... is anyone else already tired of the offseason....????
    They are trying to work an angle.

Kinda realizing discussing/arguing/reading about draft picks, fa, cuts, etc is really a waste of time.
    Until a move is actually made, it's really useless.
    But I guess it gives some something to do.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers GM: We don't think Big Ben is at end of road

By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL Writer
    Feb. 14, 2020

Ben Roethlisberger missed all but two games of the 2019 campaign before ending his season on injured reserve due to an elbow injury.

The Steelers expect Big Ben to come out completely healthy on the other side. GM Kevin Colbert told reporters Thursday the quarterback is on track in his rehab.

"We're hopeful he can make a complete recovery (from surgery on his right elbow). So far, he's on course for that," Colbert said, via Bob Labriola of the team's official website.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday on NFL NOW that even with the optimism about Roethlisberger's situation, the team could take it slow with rehab this summer.

"Sounds like his rehab is going well," Rapoport said. "And yes, surgery on his elbow to reattach some tendons was major. It was serious. I wouldn't be surprised if Ben takes it extremely slow during the spring. But from everything that I have heard, he's going to be their quarterback next year. And it does seem like they're open to the possibility of that continuing on maybe into 2021 as well."

The Steelers have insisted they aren't looking to upgrade the quarterback position behind Big Ben, believing the veteran has several years of quality football left.

Roethlisberger entered the NFL the same year as Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Manning is now retired, and Rivers is seeking new employment for the first time in his career. Despite Big Ben's peers moving on, Colbert doesn't believe his 37-year-old QB is at that stage of life yet.

"We don't think Ben is near (where Rivers and Manning are) yet. We don't think he's at the end of the road," he said.

The Steelers are putting all their eggs in the Roethlisberger basket for 2020, hoping he stays healthy enough so that Colbert's team doesn't waste a great defense yet again. So far, the outlook is optimistic in Pittsburgh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n=trendingNews

Legend

User Info Menu

Im sorry, but "Several years" of quality football left? Thats not rational