Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency

Starter

User Info Menu

It's Time for the Steelers to Cut Ties with Big Ben, Find QB in 2020 Free Agency

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...gency.amp.html

Interesting analysis (and also quite pessimistic).

Unlikely any of the suggestions in this article will occur, but interesting topic of discussion (and eventual flaming of one another).

Brothervad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

well, you are correct - that certainly was interesting. I'm also of the opinion that Ben is on the decline. That's not a knock - it's just a reflection of a long career, age, injury etc. So if you take the emotion out of it and think you can replace his production for a neutral cost while knocking 7-10 years off the age of your starting QB, that's worthy of consideration.

But the summation is also correct. The Steelers wouldn't do that. I won't fault them for that either. Ben has always been a fierce competitor, and he may exceed expectations. I just wish he brought that same mindset to the gym - it might help keep back father time.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben's getting paid either way. Until the organization knows either way they will keep him on the team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    well, you are correct - that certainly was interesting. I'm also of the opinion that Ben is on the decline. That's not a knock - it's just a reflection of a long career, age, injury etc. So if you take the emotion out of it and think you can replace his production for a neutral cost while knocking 7-10 years off the age of your starting QB, that's worthy of consideration.

But the summation is also correct. The Steelers wouldn't do that. I won't fault them for that either. Ben has always been a fierce competitor, and he may exceed expectations. I just wish he brought that same mindset to the gym - it might help keep back father time.
    I agree that Ben has/will declined to some extent, and also agree that it isn't a knock. I woudn't expect him to play like he's in the prime of his career. But I think Ben is still easily in the top half of the league, particularly when you consider his ability to command the offense (checks, adjusting protections, etc.).

But cutting Ben saves only $8 million on the cap. There is no $8million / year qb that I'd rather have than Ben. Frankly, I'd take Ben over any of the options in that article.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree that Ben has/will declined to some extent, and also agree that it isn't a knock. I woudn't expect him to play like he's in the prime of his career. But I think Ben is still easily in the top half of the league, particularly when you consider his ability to command the offense (checks, adjusting protections, etc.).

But cutting Ben saves only $8 million on the cap. There is no $8million / year qb that I'd rather have than Ben. Frankly, I'd take Ben over any of the options in that article.
    but does this mean we wouldn’t have to pay the last year of his contract?

If Ben gals off a cliff like Eli and Rivers an 8 mill QB isn’t a bad option next year.

Hopefully he comes back with the robot arm.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Exactly! You arent going to get a star with the money we have so we have to roll the dice with what we have

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly! You arent going to get a star with the money we have so we have to roll the dice with what we have
    Yes; We are painted into a corner. There's no way of getting around it.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

The biggest advantage cutting Ben now is that you save $31.5M against the 2021 cap. The $8.5M this year won't make much of a dent when you have to find a QB. If the team goes this route they turn this into a tank year and hopefully get into position to find a franchise QB early in the '21 draft.

However, the only way you do this is if when the test comes back it shows his elbow has nothing left. That decision will have to be made by March 20 when a $12.5M roster bonus is due.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It’s not about finding a star. It’s about finding a proven battle tested vet.

Honestly. It’s really about saving a ton of money on his third year. Makes more sense to cut him and let MR sink or swim.

We don’t tank tho so if we cut Ben we would probably get a vet.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The biggest advantage cutting Ben now is that you save $31.5M against the 2021 cap. The $8.5M this year won't make much of a dent when you have to find a QB. If the team goes this route they turn this into a tank year and hopefully get into position to find a franchise QB early in the '21 draft.

However, the only way you do this is if when the test comes back it shows his elbow has nothing left. That decision will have to be made by March 20 when a $12.5M roster bonus is due.
    But to basically turn this coming season into a tank year? That wouldn't go over well around here because of last season; which in many ways felt like a tank year after Ben went down for the season.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]