Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Waiver Period Starts

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Waiver Period Starts

    Accoriding to this https://www.steelers.com/news/2020-nfl-key-dates today is the day when the waivers start.

    February 3: Waiver system begins for 2020.

    Would be interesting if we start today, and what other teams do too.

    Who is going to be on the list?

    Foster
    Chicko
    McDonald
    Barron
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."



  2. #2
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Tyler Matakevich is a UFA now. He signed 4 yr deal in 15. Not sure how it will end up but he's only 27 and even though he is not a starter his special team skills are above average. I'd say we would want him back at a league minimum type deal or close to that. He gets a pumped up offer he'll be gone.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Not sure how cutting players now are going to benefit us now.
    We can't replace any of them now and we don't even know who will be available to potentially replace them.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Tyler Matakevich is a UFA now. He signed 4 yr deal in 15. Not sure how it will end up but he's only 27 and even though he is not a starter his special team skills are above average. I'd say we would want him back at a league minimum type deal or close to that. He gets a pumped up offer he'll be gone.
    A team like the Rams or the Vikings (who place a lot of emphasis on special teams play) could make him a pumped up offer.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Not sure how cutting players now are going to benefit us now.
    We can't replace any of them now and we don't even know who will be available to potentially replace them.
    I am not talking about FA, I am talking about players with contracts who get cut for various reasons. Example, Greg Olsen, and our players most likely gone in Foster, Chicko, etc...

    Well eventually they will have to waive them, before free agency starts to have the cap space to sign other players. ( Does it go through a NFL panel to see the $$$ saved/spent)

    I don't think it is so hush hush who teams release or projected to release.

    I think there is more benefit to both sides if done early:

    1) Respect to the player and their agents to find a team for them in FA.
    2) Tells agents and other teams that we are possibly looking to fill that position. ( I am sure talks start way before they are allowed to negotiate)
    3) By teams doing this, teams can project their cap, and amount of money they have to spend for each FA move they want to make.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."



  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Oh..thanks for clearing that up George. I get where your coming from now. Well then this will be an interesting couple of days. We'll have some things to really speculate on.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Tyler Matakevich is a UFA now. He signed 4 yr deal in 15. Not sure how it will end up but he's only 27 and even though he is not a starter his special team skills are above average. I'd say we would want him back at a league minimum type deal or close to that. He gets a pumped up offer he'll be gone.
    I am not talking about UFA or RFA players.

    I am talking about players who are on rosters now who will get cut, and then become UFA.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."



  8. #8
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I am not talking about FA, I am talking about players with contracts who get cut for various reasons. Example, Greg Olsen, and our players most likely gone in Foster, Chicko, etc...

    Well eventually they will have to waive them, before free agency starts to have the cap space to sign other players. ( Does it go through a NFL panel to see the $$$ saved/spent)

    I don't think it is so hush hush who teams release or projected to release.

    I think there is more benefit to both sides if done early:

    1) Respect to the player and their agents to find a team for them in FA.
    2) Tells agents and other teams that we are possibly looking to fill that position. ( I am sure talks start way before they are allowed to negotiate)
    3) By teams doing this, teams can project their cap, and amount of money they have to spend for each FA move they want to make.
    I do understand what you are saying but I still feel that they know exactly what their cap will be with every cut player scenario right now. They don't need to cut them to find out.
    I also dont see them purging their roster without knowing who, and at what price, will be replacing them.
    I do believe that they might dump a guy early,(our big fat, overpriced olineman, that we knew we would cut based on the structure of his contract, but I don't see any of our other signed guys with obvious contract cuts. Even the couple guys that should be cut, I see them sticking for this year (or at least partway through fa) mostly due to desperation.
    Maybe I'll be wrong and they cut 4-6 guys, but I doubt it.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Accoriding to this https://www.steelers.com/news/2020-nfl-key-dates today is the day when the waivers start.

    February 3: Waiver system begins for 2020.

    Would be interesting if we start today, and what other teams do too.

    Who is going to be on the list?

    Foster
    Chicko
    McDonald
    Barron
    I'd be surprised if McDonald or Barron are waived. The bottom line is there is no one to replace them and they are going to go forward with a wish and a prayer a rookie can step in...especially if they believe they may only have one or two years left with Ben.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'd be surprised if McDonald or Barron are waived. The bottom line is there is no one to replace them and they are going to go forward with a wish and a prayer a rookie can step in...especially if they believe they may only have one or two years left with Ben.
    I think that Barron is waived. There is someone who is already in place to replace him as a starter. Bush and Williams will start in 2020 and $8M+ is too big a hit for a backup. Especially when there is a $5M+ cap savings in cutting him.

    McDonald is a different case. He has a cap hit of $7M+, and he carries that kind of value when he is on the field and playing well. He is the best TE by far on this team and can be a front line TE when healthy. Essentially the team has to decide whether or not to gamble. If they retain him and he plays up to his abilities, it is not shocking and the team gets value. If he has another year like 2019 then it's $7M better spent elsewhere.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •