Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Kozora: 2020 Steelers’ Mock Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I don't think the Steelers release their #1 TE, especially since we really don't have anyone behind him.

They need to get cap space somewhere to sign Dupree... and paying him 7 M might not be worth it considering they can probably sign a good RB , NT, or a good 3rd safety at the same cost.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Mock draft: Steelers take running back first

By Dale Lolley
    Posted on February 6, 2020

The Super Bowl is over. The offseason is upon us. And the NFL Scouting Combine is just a couple of weeks away.

That means it's mock draft time.

But with the Steelers not owning a first-round pick thanks to the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade, it makes things a little less interesting than usual. Or does it?

The Steelers figure to get a third-round compensatory pick for the loss of Le'Veon Bell, which is why they didn't mind trading their own third-round pick as part of the deal to go up and get Devin Bush.

And so much for those rumors of Kevin Colbert trading away picks because he wasn't going to be back in 2020. That was taken care of Wednesday afternoon when he signed a one-year extension to stay with the team through the 2021 draft.

This is a team with needs. Most notably, it needs players who score touchdowns. The Steelers scored just nine offensive touchdowns in the second half of the season.

A big reason for that was because James Conner was MIA for most of the final eight games, playing just seven quarters. JuJu Smith-Schuster missed four games in the second half, as well. For a team playing with its second- and third-string quarterbacks, that was a deathknell.

Depending on what happens in the next few weeks, tight end could become a need, as well.

Round 2, No. 49 -- Zack Moss, RB, Utah: At 5-10, 220 pounds, Moss fits the bill for what the Steelers seem to like at running back, bigger guys who can potentially hold up in pass protection. But he had over 4,000 career rushing yards at Utah and also showed chops as a receiver in 2019, catching 28 passes for 388 yards. The best thing about Moss? He doesn't go down on first contact. This guy breaks tackles or just plain makes people miss. He did that 87 times in 2019, gaining over 1,000 of his 1,416 yards last season after first contact. The Steelers can take Moss this year, pair him with Conner and/or Bennie Snell, and have him ready to take over in a full-time role in 2021. He's also still just 22 years old.

Round 3, (Compensatory) -- Rashard Lawrence, NT, LSU: Assuming the Steelers don't bring back Javon Hargrave -- and given what he'll cost, there's real potential for that -- nose tackle is a need. The good news, however, is that true nose tackles don't go early. Lawrence is 6-foot-2 and around 310 pounds. Lawrence, as was Hargrave, could be a plug-and-play player at the nose.

Round 4A: Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford: Parkinson (6-foot-7, 251 pounds) has excellent size for the position. And he's also played all over in the Stanford offense, lining up inside and outside. Parkinson has great hands and is a nice red zone target, as his 12 touchdowns on 89 career catches would suggest.

Round 4B: Jon Runyan, OL, Michigan: We all know how the Steelers like to take guys with an NFL pedigree. Runyan is the son the former NFL offensive lineman of the same name. He played left tackle at Michigan, but doesn't have the athleticism to play there in the NFL. But he could play right tackle or kick inside to guard. He did all three at different times at Michigan. His father also was a former fourth-round draft pick who became a starter by the sixth game of his rookie season en route to a career that saw him play 207 career games.

Round 6: D.J. Wonnum, OLB, South Carolina: A three-time team captain, Wonnum is a leader, the kind of player the Steelers like to acquire. At 6-foot-4, 254 pounds -- his measurements at the Senior Bowl -- he has outstanding size. The key for him will be to see how athletic he is at the combine. He's expected to run in the 4.7s, which is plenty fast enough to play outside linebacker. Wonnum had 29.5 career tackles for a loss to go along with 14 career sacks. He's got some upside potential.

Round 7: Michael Turk, P, Arizona State: This supposes the Steelers part ways with Jordan Berry to save nearly $2 million against the salary cap. Turk averaged just over 46 yards per kick in 2019 at Arizona State after transferring from Lafayette. Oh yeah, he's got NFL bloodlines, as well. His uncles are former NFL punter Matt Turk and longsnapper Dan Turk.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...ning-back-fdl/

Legend

User Info Menu

Bryan: 2020 Steelers Mock Draft: Version 1.0 – Pre-Scouting Combine

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on February 10, 2020

With the 2020 Senior Bowl long behind us and the annual scouting combine set to get underway in Indianapolis, IN in a few more weeks, I suppose it’s finally time for me to release my first Pittsburgh Steelers mock draft of the offseason. So, here it is below for you in all of its glory.

As usual, I chose not to use a mock draft simulator for my first offering this year as I just don’t like going that route this early if I can avoid it. As usual, I ask that you focus on the individual players I selected for the Steelers while critiquing this mock draft instead of the rounds they were taken in. Tell me what you like and dislike about each of the players I have mocked to the Steelers and which players you would have selected instead.

With all the disclaimers that I’m sure you failed to read out of the way, here is my first mock draft of 2020. Remember, this mock is what I think the Steelers might do.

2nd Round – WR Justin Jefferson – LSU – 6020, 192 – An underclassman from a top college program hailing from a football family that excels from the slot and can play all over the place? The Steelers would sign up for such in a heartbeat. The team certainly won’t be opposed to drafting yet another wide receiver this year and especially one that could help right out of the chute. 165 catches for 2,415 yards and 24 touchdowns in the last two seasons is no joke in the SEC. This kid has very impressive tape in 2019 and buzz about him will start increasing very soon. This is a deep wide receiver class so odds are good that Jefferson falls to the Steelers in the second-round.
    BIO: https://lsusports.net/sports/football/roster/justin-jefferson/20252

3rd Round (Compensatory) – DT Davon Hamilton – Ohio State – 6036, 327 – The Steelers are likely going to want to draft a defensive tackle this year with Javon Hargrave likely leaving in March via unrestricted free agency. Enter Hamilton, an Ohio State product, who had a great 2019 season as both a run defender and pass rusher. Hamilton exits college not being an every-down player so that will hurt his draft stock to some degree. The Steelers like those Ohio State defensive players and Hamilton looks like he might be able to instantly contribute as a base nose tackle as a rookie.
    BIO: https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/davon-hamilton/

4th Round – G Solomon Kindley – Georgia – 6040, 335 – A battle-tested SEC left guard that can anchor well in pass protection and move fairly well as part of a power running game. While he won’t likely be ready to be a day-one starter in the NFL, he certainly should be able to take over a starting left guard spot come the start of his second season. He has a nice level of nasty to him and seemingly has a great character. This year’s draft class isn’t filled with great interior offensive line talent so Kindley figures to be a mid-round selection.
    BIO: https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/roster/solomon-kindley/3983

4th Round (From Miami Via Tennessee) – S Jalen Elliott – Notre Dame – 6004, 205 –– Versatile safety out of Richmond, VA that is likely best-suited to play down low more than deep. Elliott was a captain at Notre Dame and wound up being a Senior Bowl participant. Several scouts at the Senior Bowl claimed Elliott was the biggest riser of any prospect in Mobile and the safety was also named a North Squad Defensive Practice Player of the Week. I’ve yet to dive deep into Elliott’s college tape, but what little I have seen certainly makes him seem like a mid to late round safety the Steelers might have interest in drafting. The Steelers figure to enter this year’s draft without much safety depth so look for them to draft one at some point this year
    BIO: https://und.com/sports/football/roster/season/2019-20/player/jalen-elliott/

6th Round – TE Charlie Woerner – Georgia – 6044, 245 – I’m the only one talking about Woerner right now ahead of the scouting combine. That will likely change after he performs in Indianapolis, IN. Woerner might be the best kept secret in the tight end class this year because of him not being used a ton in the passing game in his four years at Georgia. The former high school wide receiver can catch, however, and he might have been the best blocking tight end in the SEC last season. His character is off the charts great and there’s no way the Steelers won’t be attracted to him. Woerner is not the next George Kittle but he might be the next Foster Moreau.
    BIO: https://georgiadogs.com/sports/football/roster/charlie-woerner/4027

7th Round – ILB Evan Weaver – California – 6021, 234 – The new Tyler Matakevich? Weaver was a tackling machine at Cal and reportedly had a great week at the Senior Bowl. While he’s unlikely to ever be a starting inside linebacker at the NFL, much like has been the case with Matakevich so far, Weaver can likely wind up being a multi-year backup and core special teams player.
    BIO: https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster/evan-weaver/14239

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/br...medium=twitter
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 02-10-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO the Steelers will stick to their board and with #49 pick the highest ranked player on their board between OL, RB, DT and TE. They have about equal need at all positions. I think the likelihood is that it comes down to between OL and DT. Can get a decent RB and TE one round later because I think we are OK with the RBs we have and I think McDonald comes back and they try to keep Vannett.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well we know how the Steelers operate prior to draft with FA. They don't go in with needs. Dupree will be tagged. The TE situation will be figured out.

I think #49 will be highest rated player on offense. Since we have no first there could be a good chance a 1st round WR will be on board so there is value. I thought maybe a RB too but with some staying in school I think now a guy like Dobbs will be gone & think Akers may be too high. Kmet would be the only TE & probably gone also. I think RBs & TEs left may rate Lower.

So after the process unfolds it may be WRs Jefferson, Shenault, Aiyuk, People's-Jones, Reagor sitting there with a 1st round Grade & I'm good with that. Deep position could be our gift.

The other direction I see is Tyler Biadasz C/G, Isaiah Wilson OT, Cesar Ruiz C/G. Foster will be gone. Fieler will get crack at LG. AL in last year. New C in wings while playing G. They need upgrades. Wilson our RT while Fieler kicks to LG. Banner & Chuks battle for swing but 2021 LT should be set. Or Biadasz/Ruiz become LG & learn from Pouncey. Fieler, Banner, Chuks sort out RT & Swing.

Last thought...No 1st & 5th..Maybe they move down in 2nd & pick up another 4th. 5 picks in rounds 2-4 could solidify depth.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-12-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Well we know how the Steelers operate prior to draft with FA. They don't go in with needs. Dupree will be tagged. The TE situation will be figured out.

I think #49 will be highest rated player on offense. Since we have no first there could be a good chance a 1st round WR will be on board so there is value. I thought maybe a RB too but with some staying in school I think now a guy like Dobbs will be gone & think Akers may be too high. Kmet would be the only TE & probably gone also. I think RBs & TEs left may rate Lower.

So after the process unfolds it may be WRs Jefferson, Shenault, Aiyuk, People's-Jones, Reagor sitting there with a 1st round Grade & I'm good with that. Deep position could be our gift.

The other direction I see is Tyler Biadasz C/G, Isaiah Wilson OT, Cesar Ruiz C/G. Foster will be gone. Fieler will get crack at LG. AL in last year. New C in wings while playing G. They need upgrades. Wilson our RT while Fieler kicks to LG. Banner & Chuks battle for swing but 2021 LT should be set. Or Biadasz/Ruiz become LG & learn from Pouncey. Fieler, Banner, Chuks sort out RT & Swing.

Last thought...No 1st & 5th..Maybe they move down in 2nd & pick up another 4th. 5 picks in rounds 2-4 could solidify depth.
    What if a guy like Prince Wanogho (Auburn ) or Robert Hunt ( Louisiana) were on the board?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    What if a guy like Prince Wanogho (Auburn ) or Robert Hunt ( Louisiana) were on the board?
    I think Wanogho would clearly be in the "sweet spot" for Round 2 and a good pick. Round 2 for Hunt may be a round too early

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

I couldn't of said it better...

We will plug the needs in FA. (serviceable at the least)

Honestly, I see this draft as getting all overall depth. When I say over all depth, I am including a future starting/ heavy rotation TE, RB, OL, D, WR in 2021. It would be a bonus to have them replacing a starter/role player in 2020.

I am all for trading back... There seems to be a lot of talent in those rounds were we should be focusing on. And too be fair talent at 2.17 and 3.01 should not be that much different in grades.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

2020 NFL Scouting Combine: One player for each team to watch

By Charley Casserly
    NFL Media analyst
    Published: Feb. 14, 2020

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State. The Steelers need a speed receiver to alleviate some of the attention on JuJu Smith-Schuster. Hamler is the guy, as a dynamic speedster who could excel in the slot. He's expected to register a sub-4.4 40-yard dash in Indy, which could boost his stock.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102077/article/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-one-player-for-each-team-to-watch

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO the Steelers will stick to their board and with #49 pick the highest ranked player on their board between OL, RB, DT and TE.
    Steelers make an obvious choice in latest NFL mock draft

by Tommy Jaggi

The Pittsburgh Steelers have several needs to fill this offseason. Here’s why Pro Football Focus has them going with an obvious pick in the second round.

The NFL free agency period hasn’t even begun yet, but it’s never too early to start predicting which direction the Steelers may go early in the NFL Draft this April. Over the past few weeks, we have seen numerous players from multiple positions mocked to Pittsburgh in the second round, but the latest mock from Pro Football Focus goes with an obvious choice.

With the 49th overall pick, Michael Renner of PFF has the Steelers going with Washington tight end, Hunter Bryant.
    You can view the full two-round mock draft here:

Not only has tight end been one of the most mocked positions to the Steelers this offseason, but Hunter Bryant has been perhaps the most mocked player to Pittsburgh at pick 49. It’s not hard to see why.

The Steelers clearly need help on the offensive side of the ball, and their tight end situation is a bit of a mess. Vance McDonald is coming off a horrendous season (albeit without Ben Roethlisberger), and he was ranked 66th of 67 qualifying tight ends this season. In addition, he is due upwards of $14.2 million over the next two seasons (which takes him into his 30’s) and the Steelers may opt-out of his deal.

Outside of Vance, Nick Vannett is an undrafted free agent and it’s unclear whether or not he will return at this time. Third tight end, Zach Gentry, could hardly find the field as a rookie.

Pittsburgh got virtually no production out of the tight end position in 2019, and they will want to change that moving forward. At 6’2” and 239 pounds, Hunter Bryant isn’t the biggest tight end, but he was a fantastic receiver at Washington and is still a solid blocker on the move.

As a true junior this past season, Bryant caught 52 balls for 825 yards and 3 touchdowns. He also possesses an incredible 16.4 yards per reception over his collegiate career.

With the league’s 30th ranked offense in 2019, there is no doubt the Steelers will want to add skill players early who can help out Ben. Bryant is a player who can come in from day one and make a difference as a move tight end. He has drawn comparisons to New York’s Evan Engram – who possesses similar size and athletic traits.

Bryant may never be a true, dynamic tight end who can line up inside and run people over, but his college production and athletic traits are certainly good enough to warrant a second-round selection. He would be a player that would be hard for the Steelers to pass on at pick 49.

https://stillcurtain.com/2020/02/18/...fl-mock-draft/