Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: draft value verses draft needs

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

draft value verses draft needs

We all heard of BPA, I think on most part the Steelers do go by BPA at a position of need.

We all know we need almost everything... OL, #1RB, TE, WR, NT

Hypathetically would you get upset if we draft at #2 :

ILB
    S
    CB
    OLB even though we sign Bud
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

FYI. All teams draft bpa at a position of need.
    Yes, I wouldn't like draft unless that player was supposed to go 8n the top 20
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    FYI. All teams draft bpa at a position of need.
    So I would agree in a way with this and also disagree as well. I believe all teams "at times" draft bpa at a need position. However that is not how it is all the time. The drafting of a player is the intersection of talent vs need. Sometimes need trumps it sometimes talent trumps it.
    On occasion its a perfect match. A guy falls for whatever reason, DD is a perfect example for us. To good a talent to pass and fills a huge need. Heath was the same, fell a bit do to medical concern n it becomes the perfect match. Then there is the Artie Burns example and even T Edmunds. Guys who likely were rated closer to 2nd or 3rd rounders by most others but the need pushed us into the classic reach.
    Let us hope in April the stars line up and that intersection is handled really well. We don't have many selections this year so we'll need to be right on just about every one of them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    We all heard of BPA, I think on most part the Steelers do go by BPA at a position of need.

ILB
    S
    CB
    That draft isn’t too bad but to not address the O-line would be a big mistake IMO because of the age on that O-line and the big money all those guys want.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

ILB
    S
    CB
    Given the way the draft usually plays out, the top 50 are usually 1st rounders on someoneís board. At #49, the BPA could very well be one of those positions, and I think maybe you go with it unless you are way stocked at that position (think Baltimore and TEs). So, while I may wish certain players/positions are available then, I canít pass on a potential star type talent. So yes, I will take Chase Young when he falls to us at #49, even though we signed Bud, too, haha.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    So I would agree in a way with this and also disagree as well. I believe all teams "at times" draft bpa at a need position. However that is not how it is all the time. The drafting of a player is the intersection of talent vs need. Sometimes need trumps it sometimes talent trumps it.
    On occasion its a perfect match. A guy falls for whatever reason, DD is a perfect example for us. To good a talent to pass and fills a huge need. Heath was the same, fell a bit do to medical concern n it becomes the perfect match. Then there is the Artie Burns example and even T Edmunds. Guys who likely were rated closer to 2nd or 3rd rounders by most others but the need pushed us into the classic reach.
    Let us hope in April the stars line up and that intersection is handled really well. We don't have many selections this year so we'll need to be right on just about every one of them.
    I agree with all that.
    What I have issue with is fans that always say the Steelers always draft bpa, then switch it to bpa at s position of need. Then when a player is selected way before any draft board has them rated, they will then say it's was the highest rated player on the Steelers board.
    For some reason they can't accept that the Steelers might have reached for a player or passed over a better one for a need.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I agree with all that.
    What I have issue with is fans that always say the Steelers always draft bpa, then switch it to bpa at s position of need. Then when a player is selected way before any draft board has them rated, they will then say it's was the highest rated player on the Steelers board.
    For some reason they can't accept that the Steelers might have reached for a player or passed over a better one for a need.
    Like Edmonds?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Artie Burns?
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Administrator

User Info Menu

ILB
    S
    CB
    Yes, I would get upset if we drafted those positions. Out of the list, I would prefer CB/S. Can't have enough good DBs.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Artie Burns?
    Jarvis Jones
    Ziggy Hood.