Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Senior Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Senior Bowl Will Provide Chance For TE Class To Create Separation

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on January 21, 2020

Evaluating the college game is an art, definitely not a science. Itís hard to find good quarterbacks. Thatís why anyone who can throw a ten yard out receives a small fortune (see Daniel, Chase). Itís hard to find good offensive linemen. The game simply isnít taught enough at the NCAA level to prepare those hog mollies for Sundayís.

And itís hard to find good tight ends. Ones ready to step up to the NFLís plate. In college? Sure, thereís lots of them. With spread offenses and colleges being able to hide weaknesses, most tight ends are just wide receivers with slower metabolisms.

That makes a week like the Senior Bowl an eye-opening one for those attending. In a muddied class with no clear creme de la creme talent, it creates a chance for someone to separate from the pack.

Separation is how they won in college. Blocking is how theyíll win in the pros.

At his opening press conference Monday evening, Senior Bowl Director Jim Nagy gave an overview of the class and what he Ė and scouts, Nagy is a former one Ė is looking for over the next five days.

ďTight end position is a big week for those guys,Ē he said. ďBecause they donít get asked to do a lot of in-line stuff. They arenít attached a whole lot. Itís become a big wide receiver position. And weíve got a couple of those in the game. I grabbed a couple guys coming off the bus yesterday and told them, donít worry about what the block looks like. Just come off the ball and put your face on somebody. And try to get into someone. If you get thrown around, fine. But show the effort, show the willingness. Thatís the tight endís coach at the next level to teach you hand placement and hat placement and feet. All those things.Ē

Want-to and effort are the first boxes to check in molding a complete, blocking tight end. In college, they get to stand up, split out and detached from the formation, running free downfield against soft zone coverages. Life isnít so easy in the NFL. Playing on Sundayís means putting your hand in the dirt, so many college players almost never align in a three-point stance, blocking a defensive end, climbing to a linebacker, and acting like another linemen as opposed to wide receiver.

Even with that challenge looming, Nagy couldnít help but gush about the moldable talent Mobile offers.

ďItís a big week but itís a really good crew. You got Harrison Bryant, who is the Mackey Award winner. And Brycen Hopkins is gonna be, wait a month until the Combine. Heís going to jump 40 inches.Ē

None earned more praise from Nagy than Daytonís Adam Trautman, one of the handful of small schoolers here to prove he belongs.

ďReally intriguing guy. I canít wait to see him. Really crisp route runner. Came to college as a quarterback. Heís going to test well. Heís really good with the ball. When we sent our scout to Dayton this fall, Brian Adams texted me and said, Iím on the road to Columbus. Trautman just scored four touchdowns. Iím out, Iím good on Trautman. Itís a good group. It should be fun to see those guys this week.Ē

Four touchdowns isnít draft hyperbole either. In a 56-28 win over Jacksonville this past season, Trautman found the end zone four times. For comparisonís sake, Steelersí tight ends scored three touchdowns Ė all via Vance McDonald Ė in 2019.

Even if the Steelers decide to pick up McDonaldís option, tight end is a critical position of need. Nick Vannett is set to be a free agent and struggled post-trade. There arenít long-term prospects on the roster, except for those who bleed Michigan blue and think Zach Gentry is the future (hint: heís not). Tight ends take at least a year to develop, blame that on the college game, so itís wiser for the Steelers to invest now than wait.

In a talented class, theyíll have plenty of choices. Whoever stands out at the Senior Bowl may end up being their draft day target.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/se...te-separation/

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Thadeus Moss could be an option.
    Problem is, we have pressing needs at O-line , LB, CB. With those in mind, how do we take one? In the 6th round?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/se...ort-day-one-2/

A good read, whole lot of info there...

Some takes...

– Biggest winners in my books from the WR-CB one on ones were Texas WR Collin Johnson and Pittsburgh CB Dane Jackson. Jackson had a brief interaction with Tomlin shortly before practice started as well.

– Sounded like the Steelers liked the look and game of Notre Dame DB Jalen Elliott. This safety picked off six passes the last two years. Pittsburgh’s no stranger to the ND Pro Day so they’ve probably gotten to know him – and certainly the coaching staff – in recent years.
    – Not a particularly notable day for the tight ends but I’ll tell you what, Michigan’s Sean McKeon just catches everything thrown his way. Pretty much the rest of his group dropped at least a pass – Brycen Hopkins, Adam Trautman, all the big names we’ve hyped this week – and here’s McKeon catching cleanly, outside his frame, and adjusting to the ball from all angles, including one thrown near his shoelaces early in practice. Limited athlete but good blocker and reliable pair of han

– One sight that caught my eye was Utah defensive lineman Leki Fotu. Though he was not participating due to a flagged medical, Fotu was just as involved with the defensive linemen as anyone. He helped out with the drills, moving the dummies for the coaches and was right there soaking up everything. Also caught Fotu having a conversation with Tomlin and later during the team drills, he was motioning calls or perhaps substitutions to his teammates. Think that speaks volumes to the character that Fotu brings to the table.

Too cliche to call Temple’s Matt Hennessy Temple Tough? Not the biggest (6’4 302), not the most athletic, but proper hand placement and punch, works angles well, and recovers when initially beat off the line of scrimmage. Excellent grip strength and finish. A center, he should be on the Steelers’ short list.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Problem is, we have pressing needs at O-line , LB, CB. With those in mind, how do we take one? In the 6th round?
    I think tight end and running back are much bigger needs than any of those positions.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think tight end and running back are much bigger needs than any of those positions.
    I think it's ol then rb and then te
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree there are bigger holes, but interesting reports.

But then again, would be nice to get depth - future starters: a 3rd S, CB to replace Hilton, etc...
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I think it's ol then rb and then te
    The OL starters are at in stone outside of LG. And we have ok depth. They are aging though. I could go with LG to replace Foster but outside of that, I dont see BPA being OT or C where we draft. RB could be it. TE or WR possibly.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The OL starters are at in stone outside of LG. And we have ok depth. They are aging though. I could go with LG to replace Foster but outside of that, I dont see BPA being OT or C where we draft. RB could be it. TE or WR possibly.
    I'm just thinking our line is old and needs to be replaced before a dominant run offense can be established.
    I think rb could have been the value if all those guys didn't go back to school.
    Maybe someone slips tho
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

2020 Senior Bowl: Winners, losers from Day 2 practices

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/...y-2-practices/

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hey you guys, I found 3 of my TE draft crushes for this year, and I hope we draft 2 of them!

Hopkins
    Sullivan
    Trautman

Some in the preious years: Goedert, Andrews, Kittle, Knox, Hochenson

Add in Fotu and a C/G like Hennessy I would be a happy man!