Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB got it right with punishing cheaters

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Fully with you on this. When we were kids, in school, if one of us got an "A" on an exam and it was found out we cheated, you'd better believe they didn't let us keep that grade. The teachers I had would give us an "F" for that test. Why should it be any different with pro sports?
    And what about the Dodgers??? You do things the right way, get cheated twice out of World Series Championships and your not compensated by atleast being awarded one? What are you telling people who do things the right way?

Just as you punish the cheaters, you should compensate the one who were robbed.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Starter

User Info Menu

What would a championship do for the Dodgers fans?

Would they have a parade?

A banner?

Even of they got rings and a trophy.. they won’t have that feeling you get when you rush the field and the world sees you raise the trophy.

No beer baths and locker room celebrations.. it’s over.

I think they vacated a few
    championships in college basketball. Does anyone remember who or what team “won” even tho they lost the game?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What would a championship do for the Dodgers fans?

Would they have a parade?

A banner?

Even of they got rings and a trophy.. they won’t have that feeling you get when you rush the field and the world sees you raise the trophy.

No beer baths and locker room celebrations.. it’s over.

I think they vacated a few
    championships in college basketball. Does anyone remember who or what team “won” even tho they lost the game?
    No doubt, it would not be the same as winning the title outright ... still, seems like a better solution than allowing the cheaters to keep laying claim to (and celebrating) a title.

I think that, rather than declaring the runner-up as the champion, I would just prefer to just vacate the league title for that year, with a note that says, "Removed due to cheating."

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    No doubt, it would not be the same as winning the title outright ... still, seems like a better solution than allowing the cheaters to keep laying claim to (and celebrating) a title.

I think that, rather than declaring the runner-up as the champion, I would just prefer to just vacate the league title for that year, with a note that says, "Removed due to cheating."
    yeah. I guess I have no problem if they left those years blank or had a footnote next to them.

I don’t see how vacating titles would stop anyone from cheating. You still get the revenue, parade, contract extensions, new jobs, bonuses, etc.

I prefer stiff fines, lost draft picks for multiple years, season suspensions and shame.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

bottom line, the punishment has to hurt so much no one even thinks of trying it again. moreover, cheating attacks the integrity of the game and everything becomes moot if viewership dramatically declines. if you're not prepared to take draconian steps now, the problem will never go away.

For myself - I gave up on baseball 30 years ago. This weeks revelations didn't surprise me at all - it's likely just the tip of the iceberg.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The leagues in general will probably never take the necessary steps to stop cheating behavior (ie life time bans for ownerships, coaches, or players invloved and taking championship titles away).

There was always corruption in sports and there will always be some form of corruption in sports. There's simply to much money involved for there not to be any form of corruption.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The leagues in general will probably never take the necessary steps to stop cheating behavior (ie life time bans for ownerships, coaches, or players invloved and taking championship titles away).

There was always corruption in sports and there will always be some form of corruption in sports. There's simply to much money involved for there not to be any form of corruption.
    well, i think it's absurd that pete rose is banned for life but cheaters since (such as barry bonds) aren't.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    well, i think it's absurd that pete rose is banned for life but cheaters since (such as barry bonds) aren't.
    It's rank hypocrisy

Legend

User Info Menu

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    they put betting on a totally different level than PED’s.

I don’t know the whole story but has Pete ever apologized? I wonder why he has never been reinstated?