Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB got it right with punishing cheaters

Backup

User Info Menu

MLB got it right with punishing cheaters

The 2 guys who stole signals using the replay booth and some elaborate system that involved banging on a trash can got a 1 year suspension and the Astros were fined 5 million dollars and lost their first 2 draft picks for the next 2 years.

Aston ended up firing both guys.

Boston is also up next because they also stole signals during their WS season.

Why canít Goodell act in this manner when dealing with the Pats? He had no problem suspending Sean Payton for 1 year over bounty gate.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For some reason, Kraft has Goodell by the balls.

I actually think MLB should have vacated the Red Sox and Astros titles, just as I think the Patriots should've had to vacate their earlier titles. To me, that's the only way you really deal effectively with this crap. I mean, all these cheaters are still considered champions in their cheating seasons. Someone who badly wants a title may still think it's worth it to cheat to get it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I’m not a fan of vacating titles..

the celebrations and joy can’t be erased from your memory IMO.

I think the best way is stiff fines, severe punishment and an asterisk besides those championships.

Pat fans can brag all they want about their rings but we know they are some cheats and everyone I know online who is a Pats fan won’t touch the conversation.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    For some reason, Kraft has Goodell by the balls.

I actually think MLB should have vacated the Red Sox and Astros titles,
    In this case, considering it was the Dodgers who were cheated both times out of World Series Titles, I think one of those championships needs to be given to the Dodgers.

You want to stop wrong doing? Fine them (heavily..not some bull crap 5 mil) and take away first & second round draft picks for 4 years and strip them of those Championships. That would be an effective deterrent to this crap.

And Alex Cora needs to be kicked out of baseball permanently. For going above and beyond by taking his cheating behavior from one team to the other.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Biggest deterrent... make them ineligible for the postseason for 4 years. Have to play a full 16 game season with no hope for a title.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m not a fan of vacating titles..
    Then they win. They are the champions, even though they cheated. Since you play for championships, it was worth it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    the celebrations and joy can’t be erased from your memory IMO.
    Maybe not, but I'd think the "celebrations" and the "joy" would take a little bit of a hit when you saw that empty spot in the trophy case, with a marker that said "removed for cheating."

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I think the best way is stiff fines, severe punishment and an asterisk besides those championships.
    What's 5 million dollars in comparison with a MLB or NFL title? Did losing those draft picks significantly hamper the Patriots? Is it really going to hamper the Astros or Red Sox that much? I don't think so. And, last time I checked, there is no "asterisk" next to any of those titles in the record books. Pats, who cheated, officially have 6 super bowl wins, just like the Steelers, who didn't.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    In this case, considering it was the Dodgers who were cheated both times out of World Series Titles, I think one of those championships needs to be given to the Dodgers.

You want to stop wrong doing? Fine them (heavily..not some bull crap 5 mil) and take away first & second round draft picks for 4 years and strip them of those Championships.
    Fully with you on this. When we were kids, in school, if one of us got an "A" on an exam and it was found out we cheated, you'd better believe they didn't let us keep that grade. The teachers I had would give us an "F" for that test. Why should it be any different with pro sports?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wonder if cheating is more widespread in the NFL and that's why when stuff is discover and the public is made aware of it, it isn't punished that hard.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Biggest deterrent... make them ineligible for the postseason for 4 years. Have to play a full 16 game season with no hope for a title.
    Damn!!! Boom!!............
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.