Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolfley identifies primary factor in regression of Steelers' OL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    And Colbert knows a helluva lot more then you do when it comes to possibly getting a QB of the future but you question him on that!
    has Colbert ever traded up to the top couple of spots and given away a whole draft class to try and land a franchise QB?

no, because he knows a helluva lot more than you do...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ... and there are 2 areas where Colbert and company have shown they aren’t good at drafting.

DB’s and QB’s.

These are 2 positions where I would take a FA or trade over drafting.
    DB's absolutely. I'll take a FA or trade there over a draft pick all day long

QB I think you are dead wrong. Colbert is basically 1-for-1 drafting a QB in a reasonable spot where you can expect success. QBs are a total crapshoot. Hell, most 1st rounders seem to flop. So really, Colbert is actually good at drafting QBs, because he nailed it once and hasn't given himself the need to try again.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    DB's absolutely. I'll take a FA or trade there over a draft pick all day long

QB I think you are dead wrong. Colbert is basically 1-for-1 drafting a QB in a reasonable spot where you can expect success. QBs are a total crapshoot. Hell, most 1st rounders seem to flop. So really, Colbert is actually good at drafting QBs, because he nailed it once and hasn't given himself the need to try again.
    He is dead wrong. There is no proof whatsoever that if Colbert took a QB in the first round, he’d be a bust.

Sure he’s taken qbs in later rounds but those were crap shots. A qb that he’s studied for months and is determined by him as a first round talent , I have total faith in.

I don’t care how other franchises GM’s have bombed. We have a top 5 GM that when he puts his total resources into evaluating that prospect, he will come out on top.

Legend

User Info Menu

He is dead wrong. There is no proof whatsoever that if Colbert took a QB in the first round, he’d be a bust.

Sure he’s taken qbs in later rounds but those were crap shots. A qb that he’s studied for months and is determined by him as a first round talent , I have total faith in.

I don’t care how other franchises GM’s have bombed. We have a top 5 GM that when he puts his total resources into evaluating that prospect, he will come out on top.
    He said Rudolph was a first round talent and by all accounts, was drafted to be Ben's heir.
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    He said Rudolph was a first round talent and by all accounts, was drafted to be Ben's heir.
    That was just talk to make Rudolph feel like a valuable commodity to us. To make him feel good. Nobody, no
    expert had Rudolph graded as a first round talent In reality because when a Qb is a real first round talent, he’s taken in the first round. Not the third. I like that Colbert said that thou; that’s what your supposed to say about a prospect to make him feel valued.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah....that argument is a non-starter. 3rd round pick to be a backup and take a flyer that he might develop. He is what he is at that stage of the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

That was just talk to make Rudolph feel like a valuable commodity to us. To make him feel good. Nobody, no
    expert had Rudolph graded as a first round talent In reality because when a Qb is a real first round talent, he’s taken in the first round. Not the third. I like that Colbert said that thou; that’s what your supposed to say about a prospect to make him feel valued.
    Really? Colbert put himself out there to potentially look stupid to make him feel good?
    If that was the case, he could have said other stuff to make him feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Why not tell any other draftees that they had him graded a couple rounds earlier to make them all giddy?
    Criminy, drafting them doesn't make them feel valued. Now you have to lie, in public?
    How is it possible to have the best owner, best front office, best gm, best HC, good/great drafts every year and good FA acquisitions every year, but only have 3 playoff wins in 14 years?

Legend

User Info Menu

this is one of the most asinine things anyone has ever said on a Steelers message board...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Most sites had him as a 2nd round prospect. It is not unbelievable that the Steelers and some others may have had him as a 1st round talent. There was a lot of chatter that he could sneak into the 1st round if a team got desperate.

In reality, the opposite happened, no one got desperate, and the Steelers picked up a widely-accepted 2nd round talent who they may or may not have had an internal 1st round grade on, and they got him in the 3rd. That's good drafting. The jury is still out on if it works out or not. He was trending in a positive direction until he got his brains scrambled.

Banned

User Info Menu

Really? Colbert put himself out there to potentially look stupid to make him feel good?
    If that was the case, he could have said other stuff to make him feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Why not tell any other draftees that they had him graded a couple rounds earlier to make them all giddy?
    Criminy, drafting them doesn't make them feel valued. Now you have to lie, in public?
    Because Rudolph has a chance to play the qb position. The most important position on that team. You say things and do things different for that guy who has a chance to play that position. He was taken in the 3rd round; Colbert did not think he was a real first round talent. If he really thought that , then why wasn’t he even taken in the 2nd round by Colbert?

If. Colbert moves up in the draft to get a Qb in the first round, I have no doubt that it will be the right move.