Thread: Future OT rule tweaks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Future OT rule tweaks

Heard on the radio yesterday that the league was discussing potential new overtime rules that would eliminate ties and make the game shorter and more exciting. They were suggesting a shoot-out style overtime similar to hockey.

I have to say, I like the idea of changing up overtime. They were suggesting something like each team getting 5 attempts from the 5 yard line. Not bad. But maybe something more like hockey would be more exciting, where it's more one-on-one. Is there something similar that could be done in football? Your receivers against their secondary. QB gets to throw without any pressure but within just a few seconds. Three attempts for each team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Heard on the radio yesterday that the league was discussing potential new overtime rules that would eliminate ties and make the game shorter and more exciting. They were suggesting a shoot-out style overtime similar to hockey.

I have to say, I like the idea of changing up overtime. They were suggesting something like each team getting 5 attempts from the 5 yard line. Not bad. But maybe something more like hockey would be more exciting, where it's more one-on-one. Is there something similar that could be done in football? Your receivers against their secondary. QB gets to throw without any pressure but within just a few seconds. Three attempts for each team.
    Maybe related to rules for the "new" XFL?
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I enjoy the current rules. Don’t mess with a good thing....although I do like the college OT rules.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No.. every time someone loses in OT they want to change things up.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No.. every time someone loses in OT they want to change things up.
    I don't care about the losing in OT. I'm more interested in eliminating ties in the regular season, shortening the game if it goes into OT AND making it more exciting. A new aspect of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

They just need to make overtime 6 minutes flat. after six minutes, and if it's still a tie, it goes another additional 6 minutes with whoever scores wins. Then no one can say they didn't touch the ball into overtime.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Eliminate overtime all together.
    Im sure the players don't want to play longer.
    Teams can sorta determine if they try for a tie or try to go ahead in regulation.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't care about the losing in OT. I'm more interested in eliminating ties in the regular season, shortening the game if it goes into OT AND making it more exciting. A new aspect of the game.
    Ties are extremely rare IMO.

While I don’t mind the college rules there have also been some games that have gone into 6 OT’s.

I think 15 minutes is long enough and if they can’t score they don’t deserve to win or lose.. lol.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why not have a Shoot Out at the End of the 10 Minute OT using Special Teams - Both Teams get a kick from 45 Yards - then 50, then 53, then 56, then 59, then 62, etc.
    So many regular season games come down to the kicking game so why not?

I hate the College OT Rules - Nothing like a 16 -16 tie ending up a 46 - 40 game in the end.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Why not have a Shoot Out at the End of the 10 Minute OT using Special Teams - Both Teams get a kick from 45 Yards - then 50, then 53, then 56, then 59, then 62, etc.
    So many regular season games come down to the kicking game so why not?

I hate the College OT Rules - Nothing like a 16 -16 tie ending up a 46 - 40 game in the end.
    Some college divisions have an overtime where both teams get the ball on the other team's 25 yard line, with 4 downs to make a TD or FG. If they're still tied after each team has had a possession, then they each get another possession (kind of like extra innings in baseball), and keep going that way until someone wins.